Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by brian577, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek is much more than continuity - unfortunately Abrams threw out all the stuff that it is besides continuity too.

Abrams is a great choice for Star Wars. But he was a lousy choice for Trek. Here's hoping this means he'll be off Trek and it can go to someone who has a clue how to make it fun and thought-provoking again. Because Trek, back in the day, managed to do both when it was on its game (which granted was about 35-50% of the time...)

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Abrams is a lousy choice for anything. Is it paranoid to think he's specifically out to get me :shifty:? First, he destroys my favorite Sci fi series ever by making it an action movie for the Transformers crowd (and written by the writers of TF1 & 2, not surprisingly). Now, the news say he's moving on to destroy Star Wars (even though he said earlier that he wasn't going to). He's easily as bad as Michael Bay, all special effects in his movies with absolutely no substance whatsoever, but he gets a pass from a lot of people. Actually, I think I can stand Bay more than I can JJ. Atleast with Bay, you know what you'll get. He ruins stuff in predictable ways. I have no idea what JJ will do to destroy it. Of course, to really destroy it they'll need to hire the morons who wrote Star Trek, ST - ID, and Transformers 1 & 2. JJ couldn't destroy as much without those two idiots. Honestly, i'd rather have Lucas do a new movie all by himself. Atleast then it might have a few good moments. If JJ does it, then 2015 will mark the day that the Star Wars franchise officially has a movie worse than Phantom Menace, which atleast wasn't made solely for people who just want explosions, generic characters, lensflares and sex appeal (I guess, I don't think new Uhura is particularly attractive, and she was really annoying, but they seemed to be going for that with her and random scenes like the one with Kirk and the orion). With my luck, after Star wars he'll move on to Firefly :scream:

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
  4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Me likey.

5. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Um... guys? To remind you of history, elements of Star Wars would not have existed without Trek. The streams were crossed long ago.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Blasphemy!

7. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

It's why I think the fan wars are rather silly, in the end. And I was glad the last movie was so popular. See, I've been the only Trekkie in the family and my brother and sister-in-law really liked the movie a lot. They took a few steps into my world.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I just always assumed a nerd was a nerd. If you like spaceships and aliens and crazy adventures, you'll probably like both Trek and Wars and BSG and Firefly and all sorts of other things. You might not like ALL of them, but it's not like there's some huge dividing line that separates all the different fandoms.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no problem with Star Trek/SW mxing people involved if the people were competent. I'm a fan of both. Having the director of the worst thing to be called Star Trek ever directing SW, however, is just about the worst thing that could happen to SW.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awesome idea! :bolian: But they don't all have to be Starfleet. River is a renegade Jedi, Simon is a Vulcan doctor and Jayne can be a shaved Wookie.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    :). We need a When Fan Worlds Collide! movie poster.

I don't know where people find this stuff :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think your examples apply. Terminator was original work (forget about Ellison for a second), Alien wasn't even a franchise at that point.

Never Say Never Again wasn't even a Bond film and it's entirely different from a Star Wars film anyway.

Same goes for GoldenEye and Mask of Zorro. Entirely different, and one of them wasn't even a franchise.

Frankenstein and The Invisible Man... now come on.

Except for Bond, none of your examples are as big as Star Trek or Star Wars.

Whoever does the first part of the next Star Wars Trilogy will set the whole tone. I don't like creative monopolys. I already don't like that Christopher Nolan is involved in the Batman Reboot. If you like things to become one monotone mash, good for you then, and bad for me then, I guess.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, how about Harry Potter, then? Chris Columbus directed the first two and was slated to direct all the rest, but he decided not to return. Instead, he took a producer role and the third film (usually considered the best of the three) was directed by someone else.

Anything can happen. For all we know the next Trek director could take the franchise into an even better direction.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: business decisions - Lucasfilm/Disney

That seems more due to Orci and Kurtzman. They did similar stuff with their transformer movies.

And they also admitted I think to using the Trek wiki for research.

15. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Only way from the awful prequels is up. Good riddance Lucas and good luck to Abrams!

16. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

You think your franchise is safe. It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you...

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's basically my attitude, too. I mean, sure, I have my preferences and some shows and movies hook me more than others, but I'm essentially an omnivore. I've never seen the point of pitting one franchise or "fandom" against each other.

Same thing, professionally. Today I'm working on LEVERAGE. Next week I'll probably get back to STAR TREK or SUPERMAN or maybe something else altogether.

So, yeah, the idea that you need to be "loyal" to one franchise over all the others just sounds like crazy talk to me.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

A good rule of thumb: if your sentence has the words "worst" and "ever" in it, it's probably not worth typing.

19. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I love Star Wars just as much as Star Trek.

Fucked up that the same guy is going to get to destroy both of them.

20. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know. It may give the opportunity to those of us who are too emotionally involved in those franchises (sometimes to a vitriolic point) to get some perspective and do something more productive with our lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.