A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it is very interesting that Theon, the person in the single worst position in this story has now realized he has knowledge that no one else has. I will be interested to see if he chooses to use it.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I think the speculation was that Tyrion was Tywin Lannister's ONLY child, and that Jaime and Cersei are the products of a coupling between Aerys and Joanna. The scene in AFFC between Jaime and his Aunt Genna alludes to this:
    Now, this could more-than-likely be a figurative statement as most people believe, in that Tyrion is more like Tywin from the POV of possessing a highly cunning and strategic mind, but if it was a literal statement, the implications are far deeper.

3. 137th Gebirg

If you're referring to the fact that he knows that Bran and Rikkon are still alive, he fessed up to this last season in the Ramsay "shaving" scene with Roose in the room. Significant information, yes, but all three of them are aware of this now and are keeping it under tight wraps, lest it undermine their position in the North. And everyone knows that Sansa is Sansa in this version (as opposed to Theon knowing that Arya isn't Arya, but Jeyne Poole). If you're referring to something else, I'm not entirely sure what that could be.

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Unlikely that if Tywin was cuckolded by Aerys he would allow such information to pass even as far as his sister. Tywin was a man so proud he kept his head shaved for decades so as to never show a thinning hairline. More likely Genna meant it entirely figuratively and only struck the chord of shameful truth (or fear of the possibility of truth) in Tywin by accident.

5. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't mind the change of Jamie going to Dorne, but I'm sort of sad that it means we won't have that exchange between him and Aunt Genna now...

I do hope we will see more of Dorne next episode, I want to know where they are going with the plot there.

6. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have no idea where most of the show is going now. The Dorne plot is completely ridiculous. Sansa's story is off the rails. Arya's looks to be severely trimmed. Cersei, Jon, and Dany seem to be running fairly close to their book plots, despite the coming detour to Hardhome.

But the Dorne plot is ridiculous. The Sand Snakes are more cartoonish than Scooby Doo villains.

7. Venardhi

This has been the show's big weakness whenever they go off-script. Benioff and Weiss don't seem to be able to do anything but direct point A to point B type plotting. All the nuance and gameplaying goes by the wayside. That Cersei thinks she can manage the faith seems reasonable in the books, given what we've seen them do in the last few episodes however she has to be insane to think that undermining the throne with a direct challenge to Tommen's authority could ever be a good thing for her and her children's future.

Also... I'm wondering why they bothered to do the one flashback and haven't bothered with any since. They justified not showing Ned's dreams or any other flashbacks because it would clash with the style and flow of the show, and now they drop that one and don't seem to be heading back to it for anything except maybe a bookend at the end of the season. They may as well have saved the flashback stuff for when Bran gets his weirwood wi-fi.

8. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

Maybe somebody can refresh my memory, but I thought Jon's attempt to leave was brought on by the marriage? Was it something else?

9. Venardhi

Jon's almost-desertion was triggered by Ned's execution, 3 books earlier.

10. Tyberius

I mean the one that got him skewered in the last book (?)

11. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he's referring to Jon's call for volunteers to join him in attacking Ramsey (that causes the mutiny).

12. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

That was caused not by the marriage, but by the letter Ramsay sent to Jon, claiming that Stannis was dead and demanding the return of Theon and "Arya"/Jeyne, who had already escaped Winterfell at that point. In other words, it's a ways off, assuming the TV timeline parallels the books.

13. Venardhi

I was under the impression he was marching south because Ramsay demanded fealty from him and the watch lest they be next on the Bolton's list of enemies. He had already sent Mance to save "Arya."

14. ManOnTheWave

Yeah, I had to look that one up. It's been a while since I've read the books. Ramsay threatens the Nights Watch, Jon organizes a preemptive strike, and a band of stupids from the army of cutthroats, I mean the NW, assume he's using the NW for his own purposes and get him.

His death/ near death is eerily similar to his brother's.

15. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, Ramsay, monstrous though he may be, might not be threatening the Watch in the first place if Jon hadn't agreed to send Mance to rescue "Arya."

16. ManOnTheWave

Possibly, yes. The Stark boys seem to make their own beds.

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

In the show, I expect Starks to be killed in odd numbered seasons and Lannisters to be maimed or killed in the even ones.

18. Tyberius

OK, so Sam will not be delivering Amon to the citadel, and Jon is still off with the wildlings.

Is Sam going to take the voyage to the citadel?

It was Tyrion who fought the (fake) battle in the pits. Dany didn't know who he really was did she? Can't have the fight without Penny, so that's ok. Will he and Mormot still join the second sons?

19. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. 137th Gebirg

I think so as well. Maester Aemon told him to take her south. I suspect that will be Jon's final order to Sam once he returns from Hard Home. Besides, Sam needs to meet Archmaester Marwyn and "Pate".