A question about the composers

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Methuselah Flint, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Captain Captain

Are there any shows of the same period, whose music is composed by one of our TOS lot, whose work sounds similar to the material they presented in TOS?

I'd be curious to have a watch/listen.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, I'd say so. The composers generally had fairly recognizable styles, from what I've heard of them. Gerald Fried did a lot of The Man from UNCLE and a fair amount of Mission: Impossible, as well as being the main composer for Gilligan's Island (going for a comedy sound not unlike his "Shore Leave" work). Jerry Fielding did a fair amount of M:I too, as well as Hogan's Heroes and shows in the '70s like Kolchak: The Night Stalker and The Bionic Woman. Alexander Courage and Fred Steiner both did some Twilight Zone scores, I think, as did Jerry Goldsmith. Courage also did some Lost in Space. And this is no doubt a very, very partial and scattershot list.

Kor and Methuselah Flint like this.
  3. Methuselah Flint

Thanks for that! :)

4. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Commodore Commodore

Gerald Fried's score for Lost in Space "Collision of Planets" has some faint strains here and there that remind me of the Spock-Kirk mind meld cue from "The Paradise Syndrome."

5. Methuselah Flint

Just YouTube'd George Duning and found a score of a film called Houseboat. The finale is a similar style to Metamorphosis.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  6. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

In the first few seasons of Mannix (which sometimes, but not consistently, gave credits for individual episode composers), George Duning and Jerry Fielding have some cues that are much like those in Trek. There's one particular Fielding end-of-act cue that's very close to one in "Spectre of the Gun."

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  7. Christopher

As a rule, if an episode doesn't credit a specific composer, then all its music is stock cues from earlier episodes. Sometimes that's the case even when a single composer is credited, perhaps because they're responsible for the majority of the stock cues. Star Trek and Mission: Impossible worked this way, so it stands to reason that their sibling show Mannix would have as well. The only time I can think of that either show failed to credit a specific composer for an episode that had a full original score was "Echo of Yesterday" in M:I season 2 (and that did credit Lalo Schifrin for the theme, so he might have done the full score).

8. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

True, there's a season one episode of Mannix, "The Many Deaths of Saint Christopher", with a Duning score that I thought was the same recording as "Metamorphosis". @Indysolo checked it out and corrected me on that, but it's very reminiscent.

9. Christopher

Wow, I should really see Mannix sometime.

10. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Gerald Fried composed the score for a season 2 episode of "Mission: Impossible" titled "Trek". It's filmed at Vasquez Rocks, Mark Lenard is a guest star and the score is a cousin to "Friday's Child" and "Catspaw."

11. Methuselah Flint

Wow thanks for all this guys!

12. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Did one of the third season composers make music for Buck Roger in the 25th Century 10 years afterwards?

13. Christopher

No, none of the Buck Rogers composers was a TOS veteran. And none of the TOS composers were third season-exclusive.

14. Maurice

Maurice Maurice, the ATARI CX5200 Premium Member

Gerald Fried has a grim processional cue in the The Man from U.N.C.L.E.'s "My Friend the Gorilla Affair" from a year before "Catspaw" that is basically the name motif.

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Lost in Space has a soundtrack box set that is similar to the 2012 TOS box set release and features several of the same composers. And a year or so back, Land of the Giants had a four CD set released also with several of the same composers. Both sets sound similar in tone to TOS. At least I think so.

Indysolo and Methuselah Flint like this.