A Lawyer Looks at The Measure of a Man

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mysterion, May 25, 2019.

1. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

NEW SPINOFF:

Star Trek: Ambulance Chaser

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus - if you get to a place and there's already people freakin' living there: you didn't discover it!

ScottJ85 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

:lol:
    You did if the people living there are living in the Stone Age and back at your place there are universities, international trade, international trade organizations, huge edifices, foundries, skilled tradesmen, etc etc

trekshark and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  4. gakelly

gakelly Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely he discovered it. It was unknown (or at least not well known) to Europeans at the time, so he discovered it for Europeans.
    If there were life forms on Neptune, then would the guys that discovered it in 1846 not really discover it?

trekshark and Nakita Akita like this.
  5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Spider-Man already discovered the aliens from Neptune and Pluto!

Nakita Akita likes this.
  6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

The video was a'right. My only gripe is that the legal eagle lensed everything in terms of a civilian court proceeding. There is some nuanced differences between a civilian court hearing and a military one. After all, the Starfleet JAG is overseeing the hearing.

IronWaffle and Kor like this.
  7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering that the episode was written by a lawyer in the first place, I'm not sure what can be added. Things always have to be simplified and streamlined for the sake of fitting in a one-hour TV broadcasting slot. :shrug:

Kor

8. Nakita Akita

Which is good.
    Let's face it nobody wants to sit and listen to a lawyer drone on and on about too much of anything. ( other than him or her self and maybe their mother, maybe)
    If there hadn't been the time constraints, the episode would have filled the rest of the season.
    :barf:, listening to a lawyer.......

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of a really bad joke I heard once:

"If your mother-in-law and a lawyer were drowning, and you could only save one of them, would you have lunch or go to a movie?" :D

Nakita Akita likes this.
  10. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

That lawyer kind of hurt his review when he pointed out that Data should’ve shown up in something else besides his duty uniform, especially when it’s a military court. I haven’t been to any military courts, but I would assume that military personnel would be required to wear their uniform to court, and would probably be stripped of rank if they showed up in a civilian suit.

11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone may correct me if there have been any exceptions, but I believe that in most cases Starfleet hearings (such as in this episode) have officers wearing their duty uniforms, whereas courts-martial generally have them in dress uniforms (but apparently in STDisco and STIV:TVH the regular uniforms are already "dressy" enough). They definitely wouldn't wear civvies in either case.

But this guy's jab at Data's jumpsuit was actually a sneaky promotion for the Indochino suits that he likes (his video description lists them as a sponsor, and he includes an affiliate link).

Kor

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I think he should just qualify all his videos with a statement that he is going to discuss each case as if it were being tried under U.S. civilian courts, which would save a lot of legit grousing when the subjects are films/shows set in other countries, times, etc.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Or people could take the context of the situation and assume that's naturally the case. Particularly, since his other legal-analysis videos are centered around movies taking place in present-day American court rooms.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should be in dress uniform, but TNG dress uniforms were terrible, and the duty uniform looks more appropriate in this case.

Actually, this might be different in the Navy, as they have several levels of uniforms, and probably don't conduct court hearings in their dressiest whites.

15. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

The way he hammers in and spends multiple minutes on "oh...and go buy a suit here"..at the end...I´d say YES.

16. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

This was just a very blatant hookup for the blatant "suits commercial" at the end...nothing more.

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obligatory rationalizations #8472a through c:

- The TOS movie uniforms aren't merely "dressy enough" - they are actually dress uniforms for the day, as every adventure in those movies revolves around a ceremony or a celebration (birthday cruises, diplomacy at the highest level, adventures launched straight from Starfleet Headquarters).
    - The TVH session isn't a court martial (why would the President of the UFP or its hallowed Council be involved in one?) but a political function of some sort, where the big boss steps in and derails the process in order to decorate Kirk. It also catches the heroes by surprise, giving them no time to decide how to dress in front of the President himself.
    - The DSC session goes for wartime expediency... (I mean, I'd have loved to see how Starfleet could go dressier than the regulars, and thus I keep on thinking there's a way to add even more bling to those coveralls. Perhaps in a carry-along pocket universe of some sort?)

Timo Saloniemi

18. Nakita Akita

I went to a court martial hearing, we wore our clas A uniform. Which was your regular office type job uniform except also wearing your "sports coat type jacket" or suit jacket.
    It has your ribbons on the front, name also unit insignias and rank would be on the epilates or arm etc.

Skipper likes this.
  19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I dunno ... Picard always thought he was going where no one had gone before, even though there were people there.

20. bigglesworth

bigglesworth Commander Red Shirt

Regarding the Navy, I’ve never been to a court martial, but I suspect one would wear the dress uniform. The working uniform might be okay for Captain’s mast, a non judicial punishment proceeding, but I’m thinking one would want to make the best impression one could to the CO, so you’d probably opt for either the dress or service uniform.

Marines have way more uniform choices than the other branches, so I’m not sure where I’d even start. In “A Few Good Men”, all the Marines were wearing their service “alphas” to the court martial, so there’s that.

Starfleet uniform code seem to permit the standard uniform everywhere, so maybe it was okay for Data to wear the “onesie”.

Prax likes this.