A character with a visor was a mistake

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by You_Will_Fail, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

The actor who played Twiki.

Bidee-Bidee-Bidee...

2. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

I feel no empathy for the victims in DW's "The Idiot's Lantern"

(Thought that might be because they look ridiculous!)

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The Blues Brothers wore glasses through the entire movie.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought so, just wasn't completely sure. Oh wait, Belushi takes his glasses off and wiggles his eyebrows at Carrie Fisher during the "there was an earthquake" scene.

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

The X-Men's Cyclops comes to mind.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

He doesn't completely take them off, Belushi just lowers them slightly down he nose.

:)

7. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So it's not intangible or unexplainable?

Still, this requires experimental study. Can emotions be portrayed through blood vessels in the eyeball? Can an actor even control the blood vessels in their eyeballs?

I propose we select several photographs of faces in various emotional states, and then photoshop out the eyeballs. Just the eyeballs, and then see if we can intentify the emotion from them. We could even go further and block out the entire "hair band" shape of a VISOR, but let's try just the eyeballs for now. Anyone up for it?

8. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spiderman

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

He does remove them completely. And they stay off until he finishes kissing Mystery Woman. Not that it's a big deal, of course. :)

10. Dr. Crusher

Dr. Crusher Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think that Levar Burton really did a great job with this feature. I never felt that Geordi was lacking in emotional expression because I couldn't see his eyes to confirm what he portrayed in other ways.

I appreciate the fact that someone actually thought about disabilities in the 24th century. I also thought that it was a nice touch to include the technology to correct the disability in a limited way. Sometimes, we see the future as an idyllic world where everything will be easily understood and fixed, but Geordi's visor, with all of its advantages and disadvantages, made the "future" more real.

I liked episodes that brought the strengths and weaknesses of Geordi's case to the forefront, like "The Masterpiece Society," "The Enemy," or "Interface." I also liked the scene in Insurrection where Geordi is watching the sunrise for the first time in his life.

11. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's also noteworthy that the visor actually had sort of an unspoken story arc, in that it was used to brainwash Geordi, in "The Mind's Eye", & then it was later hacked by Lursa & B'tor in the "Generations" movie, which resulted in the destruction of the ENT-D

From that point on, he never wears it again, & opts to upgrade to ocular implants. I guess losing the ship, & nearly becoming a brainwashed assassin, coupled with the inconvenience of being blinded every time it got knocked off, were reasons enough to finally move on

After all, a visor might be good enough for an average human, but Geordi being a Starfleet officer meant he faced more extraordinary hazards

12. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

interesting you bring that up as an example, because i remember reading that the props people actually made vader's mask's eyes bigger and more sad looking in ROTJ to reflect his inner conflict and sadness... which backs up the OP's point a little bit...

however, i don't agree with the OP. i think the visor helped the show and i think it made geordi more likable and unique.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In the same movie, Ray from Ray's Music Exchange also wears sunglasses for his entire scene. ;)

14. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Actually I found myself utterly unable to relate to/care about the Blues Brothers characters because I couldn't see their eyes. Until he took his glasses off, of course, then I was like: "Wow, I love these guys! I mean, the one other them whose eyes I can see!"

15. ReedEnterprise

ReedEnterprise Captain Captain

I don't think it was, it just showed the advancements that even a blind person can see with the help of technology. I thought it was a great idea, even if we couldn't see Geordi's eyes. I never thought about that aspect before, so I guess it never bothered me.