A bit of fun ... try to name all the references from other Trek shows we've seen so far...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by DaveyNY, Mar 29, 2019.

1. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    In "Firstborn" (TNG), a huckster at the Klingon outpost on Maranga IV claimed to Alexander, if dubiously in Worf's eyes, that he was in possession of the mummified head of Molor...

ALEXANDER: The man over there says he has Molor's head in a box. The real Molor!
    WORF: That is impossible. The real Molor died centuries ago.
    ALEXANDER: I know. It's mummified. He offered to show us for fifty darseks.
    WORF: He is trying to take your money.

Cool, didn't realize that!

You're probably right that it was Cornwell and not Georgiou. I was going by memory without checking.

In "Judgment" (ENT), it was supposed to be Narendra III from "Yesterday's Enterprise" (TNG), as was specified in the script, although not stated onscreen in the episode. Even if it were Qo'noS, though, it still would be more than a hundred years earlier.

No reason they couldn't have gone there again (several times, even) subsequent to the main events of ENT and before the NX-01 was decommissioned per the finale, though. I'd certainly still call it a reference.

-MMoM:D

DaveyNY likes this.
  2. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

You are a pro at this. I'm in awe.

3. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

Just checked, and you were definitely right. It was Cornwell, right before she introduced "Captain Georgiou" to the Disco crew at the end of "The War Without, The War Within" (DSC). Mea culpa on that one.

Cyrus likes this.
  4. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

And a Horta from "The Devil In The Dark" (TOS)—advanced Mirror Universe knowledge in play perhaps? (The Tholians there probably use them to tunnel out their asteroid bases, just as they use the Gorn as slave-masters!)

Also, a pair of Cardassian voles from "Playing God" (DS9), et al.

Speaking of the MU, Mirror characters having potentially different—or should that be indifferent?—sexual orientations to their Prime counterparts is a broad reference to DS9's MU episodes, where Mirror-Kira and Mirror-Worf are implied get up to some rather homoerotic antics. (Retroactively, this could well apply to Mirror-Sulu in the original episode, too, per Star Trek Beyond.)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  5. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I wonder if the Cestus-III colony was set up at the behest of Section-31, just to see if the Gorn would claim the territory?

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what I was coming in here to say. In retrospect, the Gorn skeleton was obviously presumably a hint that Lorca was from the MU, since (at least up to that point, production-wise) the Gorn hadn't been encountered earlier in the Prime Universe, they'd been encountered only in the Mirror Universe.

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for checking. I would have bet on you being right since you seem to be a walking Star Trek encyclopedia.

8. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

Thank you for correcting my error!:beer:

Well, you see Doc, it all started back when I was in elementary school, and my mom bought me a copy of the Okudas' Star Trek Encyclopedia...which in time, as I gradually thumbed it to tatters, I would discover to contain its own fair smattering of human errors and omissions, too! The adventure continues today with the handy benefit of resources like Memory Alpha and Chrissie's Transcripts, of which the same can be said. (I really must get around to amending a few more of them one of these days...assuming no one beats me to the punch, of course. Alas, only so many hours in a day!) It also helps that I've been slowly re-watching all of Trek ever since DSC started. (And in doing so, I've been reminded again and again that whatever other references one relies upon, there is no substitute for checking the actual episode itself, whenever possible.) I browse around here a lot, too, even though I necessarily limit myself in the number of threads I post in.

CorporalCaptain and Cyrus like this.
  9. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lorca got several lines that were homages to earlier series too.

Something along the lines of "may fortune favour the bold" in, I think, Lethe.

There is, of course, him deciding on a Scottish accent when pretending to be the chief engineer.

Also, I can't remember how the line ends, but there's definitely one where the starts his sentence with "Make it so..." He carries on the sentence to include an instruction afterwards, but in the delivery there's a slight pause that gave me pause :D

Then of course there is Mudd waving his arm about like Q when remotely activating the transporters.

10. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

Spock has family ties he neglected to mention - "Amok Time" (TOS); "Journey To Babel" (TOS); STV
    Burnham's record of mutiny expunged - "The Tholian Web" (TOS)
    Pahvans want to mediate Fed/Klingon conflict - "Errand Of Mercy" (TOS)
    Singing blue plants; Vina - "The Cage"; "The Menagerie" (TOS)
    Holographic simulators aboard starships in 23rd century - "The Practical Joker" (TAS)
    Probe altered by intelligence, turns on creators - "The Changeling" (TOS); TMP, et al.

Lord Garth, DaveyNY and PiotrB like this.
  11. Ravenswood

Ravenswood Lieutenant Red Shirt

Control's statements to Leland about Starfleet's seven thousand ships being in a hierarchy, and that it would use Leland as a front because it hadn't gotten all the nuances of humanity down yet, sounds a great deal like Your archaic cultures are authority-driven. To facilitate our introduction into your societies, it has been decided that a human voice will speak for us in all communications. You have been chosen to be that voice.... to my ears.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Control-Leland is very similar to the Borg anyway. Those looked like nanoprobes being injected into Leland, and the veins growing on his face look similar to what happens to a person during assimilation.

13. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

First City - "Sins Of The Father" (TNG), et al.
    House of D'Ghor - "House Of Quark" (DS9)
    Isik - "Rivals" (DS9)
    Latinum - DS9, et al.
    Suus Mahna
    - "Marauders" (ENT)
    Ceti eels; torpedo casing as coffin - TWOK, et al.
    Spacedock - STIII, et al.
    U.S.S. Shran
    - "The Andorian Incident" (ENT), et al.
    U.S.S. T'Plana-Hath
    - STIV, et al.
    Vulcan T'Plana-Hath design - First Contact
    Zee-Magnees Prize; duotronics; Daystrom Institute - "The Ultimate Computer" (TOS), et al.
    Zefram Cochrane - "Metamorphosis" (TOS), et al.
    Metreon particles - "Jetrel" (VGR), et al.
    Ilari - "Warlord" (VGR)
    Romulus - "Balance Of Terror" (TOS), et al.
    Organia - "Errand Of Mercy" (TOS), et al.
    Ophiucus - "Mudd's Women" (TOS), et al.
    Benzar - "Coming Of Age" (TNG), et al.
    Anicium; yurium - "Night Terrors" (TNG)
    Axonol - "Message In A Bottle" (VGR)
    Cortropine - "The Lorelei Signal" (TAS)
    Dylamadon; melorazine - "Man Of The People" (TNG)
    Tetrovaline - "Good Shepard" (VGR)
    Spock's lute - "Charlie X" (TOS), et al.
    Vulcan bells - "Amok Time" (TOS), et al.
    Klingon blood looks like Pepto-Bismol under certain conditions, red under others - STVI, et al.

DaveyNY likes this.
  14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

One of the advantages of DSC is that we can figure out which races from TNG/DS9 were known in the TOS Era. You can't really glean that from just three seasons of TOS and before any of those said races were introduced. And it seems like some of them, such as Betazed, were already well-known and well-established as part of the Federation by TNG. So it's less "When did the Federation first meet them?" and more "When did we happen to first see them on screen?"

There was already an interstellar community and it looks like Earth was the Johnny Come Lately. So you'd think most of the races the Federation normally interacts with, or would be part of it, are races they would've known from early on and exploration would focus on beyond who Earth, Vulcan, Andor, and Telar normally would've interacted with.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  15. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

Bloodwine - "Gambit, Part II" (TNG), et al.
    Darsek - "Firstborn" (TNG); "Bounty" (ENT)
    Deneva - "Operation -- Annihilate!" (TOS), et al.
    Impedrizine - "Alliances" (VGR), et al.
    Laser scalpel - "The Host" (TNG), et al.
    Le-matya
    , or creature conceptually inspired thereby - "Yesteryear" (TAS)
    Mintakans - "Who Watches The Watchers" (TNG)
    Nausicaans - "Tapestry" (TNG)
    Optical Data Network - "The Nth Degree" (TNG), et al.
    Paralithium - "The Chute" (VGR)
    Phase cannons - "Silent Enemy" (ENT), et al.
    Priority One distress call - "The Trouble With Tribbles" (TOS), et al.
    Starfleet Medal of Honor - "Court Martial" (TOS), et al.
    Starfleet Engineering Corps - TWOK, et al.
    Three-dimensional chess - "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (TOS), et al.
    Tritanium - "Obsession" (TOS), et al.
    Vulcan Learning Center - ST'09
    Vulcan nerve pinch - "The Enemy Within" (TOS), et al.
    Vulcan salute; gong - "Amok Time" (TOS), et al.
    Vulcan(ian) Scientific Legion of Honor - "Court Martial" (TOS)
    Wee Bairns™ Scotch - "The Assignment" (DS9), et al., referring back to "The Paradise Syndrome" (TOS)
    Yridia - "Birthright" (TNG), et al.

16. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

Opening micro-wormhole with tachyons - "Pathfinder" (VGR)
    Closing wormhole with gravitons - "Schisms" (TNG); "Rejoined" (DS9); "In Purgatory's Shadow" (DS9)
    Klingon time travel - "Firstborn" (TNG); "Endgame" (VGR)

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a Trill in the Season 1 finale, and Leland was disguised as a Trill in a deleted scene.

Though we knew that the Trill were known of in this Era because of Dax.

18. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

I said it first!:whistle:
    Also, a minor quibble perhaps, but everyone keeps describing Leland recruiting Georgiou as a "deleted scene"—not technically incorrect, of course, and I understand it's presented that way on the Blu-ray and DVD releases—yet it's more than just that. It was initially released as an "exclusive bonus scene" on the official Star Trek YouTube channel, Discovery Twitter account, CBS website, etc.

19. X24actor

X24actor Lieutenant Red Shirt

Voyager doorbell sound effect (also heard in Generations). Only heard it once, and I think it's in the episode "Brother" or "New Eden"

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  20. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Pike won the Carrington Award (DS9: Prophet Motive).