_____ is a Commander now?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by USS Belmont, Feb 1, 2020.

1. USS Belmont

USS Belmont Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. Why is everybody calling Data “Commander Data”? He was a Lieutenant Commander while on both Enterprises. But everybody on the show including Picard and the Index at the Archive calls him “Commander Data”? Did Starfleet promoted him posthumously? Or this is the biggest screw up in Picard continuity by far?

2. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I seem to remember that "commander" was used most of the time when talking informally about or to Data during TNG.
    I think using it in that manner is a generic thing?

SoM, Paul Weaver and SpocksOddSocks like this.
  3. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A posthumous promotion is a possibility, but Lt Commanders are often called Commander as shorthand, as Data often was on the show.

4. USS Belmont

USS Belmont Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But the Index also called him Commander? That is supposed to the most formal/official record of all places?

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

All Lieutenant Commander main characters of Trek have been called Commander at some point or another, just like ITRW. But Picard's android pal was specifically also called "Lieutenant Commander Data" in the big interview.

Timo Saloniemi

6. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Troi was commander before she got full third pip as well

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seriously? Commander is a common abbreviation of Lt Commander, and always has been. Data has been referred to as just Commander Data plenty of times throughout TNG and its movies. But they call him Commander Data in this show and suddenly it's a problem?

Hell, in the real world it's not uncommon for officers ranked Lieutenant Commander or Lieutenant Colonel to only ever be addressed as Commander/Colonel with them only being addressed by their full rank when they are promoted. Oh, right. "Starfleet isn't military." So how dare they do the military thing of abbreviating someone's rank.

Oh, hang on a moment. A good majority of the Admirals we see in the franchise are usually Rear Admirals or Vice Admirals, but they only ever get referred to as "Admiral." Even in this show, the five boxed pips on Admiral Clancy's uniform would imply she's actually a Fleet Admiral, but she only gets addressed as "Admiral" in the episode. Why isn't anyone crying over this?

8. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

I bet you’d find that all the Lt. Cmdrs in Trek were called “Commander” far more often than their full rank.

NCC-73515 and Crewman6 like this.
  9. The Wormhole

Chakotay wears the insignia of a Lt Commander and was never once referred to as Lt Commander. He was always just referred to as Commander, even in the show's credits.

Then there's Kira in DS9's final season, though only addressed as Colonel, she likely was a Lt. Colonel, given that's the next rank up from Major and when she got a Starfleet Commission in the final arc, her rank was full Commander, which is equivalent to a Lt Colonel. A full Colonel would be equal to a Captain.

StewMc likes this.
  10. Verteron

Verteron Lux in tenebris lucet Premium Member

Posthumous military decorations and promotions in rank are very common for soldiers and sailors who are killed in combat in today's Earth militaries. He may well have been promoted to full Commander for his sacrifice on the Scimitar.

Mr. Laser Beam and BillJ like this.
  11. The Wormhole

But "Starfleet isn't a military." We can't assume they do things a military does. That's lazy writing and against Gene's Vision.

SolarisOne, fireproof78 and BillJ like this.
  12. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found it a bit weird that Index didn't use the full rank, in that context it would have made more sense. Otherwise it of course is perfectly normal, as has been explained already.

SpocksOddSocks and USS Belmont like this.
  13. Verteron

Not a military, but it sure respects a lot of the traditions of Earth militaries when it comes to rank.

14. The Wormhole

Do you even know the shit you're stirring right now?

SolarisOne and Crewman6 like this.
  15. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

They were calling him Commander Chakotay from the moment Janeway hailed him in Caretaker. Maybe Commander was actually his first name? :D

16. Verteron

No not really. It is factually the case that even when Gene was alive and in full creative control, the officer rank structure in Starfleet and many of the associated traditions were practically a carbon copy of the US Navy's.

Crewman6 and SoM like this.
  17. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

More so the English and American NAVAL traditions.

18. The Wormhole

If so, they kept it off his grave stone in Endgame.
    In that case, allow me to explain. "Is Starfleet a military" is a hot button topic on this forum. Whenever a thread on the matter is started, or the topic is introduced into another active thread, the thread grows wildly out of control, we're talking ten pages per day of just shit slinging back and forth of "but they're organized and structured exactly like a military" one side and "Gene/Canon said they aren't" on the other. Trust me, it's not a road you want to go down.

SolarisOne likes this.
  19. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Encounter at Farpoint

PICARD: We question whether this court is abiding by its own trial instructions. Have I have permission to have Commander Data repeat the record?

Season 2 Unnatural Selection

PULASKI: Commander Data is an android, Doctor. He is unaffected. As for me, I chose this. I was convinced the children were safe.

Season 2 Measure of Man

MADDOX: I was afraid this might be your attitude, Captain. Here are Starfleet's transfer orders separating Commander Data from the Enterprise

Season 3 Most Toys is interesting

PICARD: Captain's log, supplemental. As the result of a yet unexplained shuttle explosion, Lieutenant Commander Data has been lost.
    OBRIEN: I'm reading a weapon in transit with Commander Data. It seems to have discharged, sir.

Seems when it's more formal the full "Lieutenant Commander" is used, but it has to be very formal, usually in Captain Logs (but those aren't exclusively Lt Cdr, nor is Lt Cdr only used in very formal cases)

Even the Computer is in on the confusion

Season 1 Encounter at Farpoint
    ENSIGN: This way, sir. You must be new to these Galaxy class starships, sir. (to wall) Tell me the location of Commander Data.
    COMPUTER: Lieutenant Commander Data now located in Holodeck area 4J.

Season 4 Brothers
    PICARD: Computer, locate Lieutenant Commander Data.
    COMPUTER: Commander Data is on the main Bridge.

I think the computer is there to wind the crew up.

Season 6 - Relics, Data introduces himself correctly (of course)
    DATA: No, sir. I am an android. Lieutenant Commander Data.

But Even in Insurrection when Data is not obeying orders,

CURTIS: Commander Data, stand down. That's an order. I repeat, stand down!

Data however was almost always proper when referring to himself

11001001:
    DATA: Based on all information presently available, the decision is correct. This is Lieutenant Commander Data speaking for the Captain. Abandon ship. This is not a drill. All personnel. This is not a drill. (around the ship) I say again, abandon ship. All personnel, this is not a drill.

Home Soil:
    DATA: Bridge, this is Lieutenant Commander Data. No need to beam me up, sir. The situation is under control.

Symbiosis:
    DATA: Engineering, this is Lieutenant Commander Data. Bring all systems online and direct full power to the shields.

Conspiracy:
    DATA: Computer, this is Lieutenant Commander Data. Please access all Starfleet Command orders to starships, starbases and colonies for the past six months.

Schizoid Man:
    DATA: Lieutenant Commander Data

However in Unnatural selection he referred to himself as "Commander Data"

DATA: Enterprise. Commander Data ready to beam aboard.

By Ensigns of Command he was back to normal
    DATA: That is correct. I am an android. I am Lieutenant Commander Data of the Federation Starship Enterprise.
    DATA: Lieutenant Commander Data of the Starship Enterprise.
    DATA: Lieutenant Commander Data to Enterprise. I am preparing to leave Tau Cygna Five and await rendezvous instructions.

Last use of Lieutenant Commander Data was (of course) by Data in Gambit Pt 2

DATA: Open a channel. This is Lieutenant Commander Data of the Federation Starship Enterprise.

Last use by a human was Starship Mine, but he was being introduced to a higher ranking officer so makes sense
    RIKER: Mister Data, I don't know if you've had a chance to meet our host, Commander Hutchinson. Call him Hutch. Lieutenant Commander Data, our second officer.

Aside from then it was Silicon Avatar

RIKER: Lieutenant Commander Data was there, yes.

On the whole, Data was referred to as Commander Data rather than Lieutenant Commander Data 78% of the time. The Computer specified Lieutenant Commander Data 6 times and Commander Data 4 times.

The bigger question is why Data never got promoted, in 14 years. He was due to take over from Riker as first officer of the Enterprise in Nemesis, surely that means he'd have had a promotion then?

donners22 and fireproof78 like this.
  20. The Wormhole

According to the novelization of Nemesis (and a deleted scene, I think) that was the plan.