8X02 "Into the Dalek" Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Aug 30, 2014.

?

Grade "Into the Dalek"

Poll closed Sep 29, 2014.
  1. Eyebrows

34 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Good

57 vote(s)
    47.9%
  3. Average

19 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Bad

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Exterminate!

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I'd still love to see Ian, even if it's not an actual meeting (ala 11 / Amy & Rory in Closing Time).

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

This was good. Its far from the best NuWho Dalek episode, but it was pretty good. Clara was fairly insufferable in it, and the stuff with Danny Pink was tedious, but it didn't drag the episode down too badly. I think the Dalek calling The Doctor a "good Dalek" was a bit eye rolling. I did like how The Doctor reacted during the episode, especially stuff like saying Clara cares so he doesn't have to. I like seeing The Doctor be more abrasive, and I think Capaldi did a great job.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, those kind of comments really crack me up! You'll read their reviews filled with grumbling about Capaldi's performance wasn't good, the timing, pacing, etc. Everything is bad.

But, then you watch Breath Deep and I loved it and by and large, most people at least liked it.

So, next up was Into the Dalek. The same sort of foreboding, "knowing" reviews from those who watched it. Yet, same result when the episode actually aired. I loved it and the vast majority of people at least like it!

So, hopefully these grumbly reviews of upcoming stories continue!! :guffaw:

Mr Awe

4. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was about twenty minutes longer than it would have been if they hadn't locked it up with its gun still attached (at least in the Eccles episode the humans didn't know what any of the attachments did).

Yeah, all very been there and done that before (it's no less than the third "Nice" Dalek story across the various media in less than two years), and 45 minutes just isn't enough the do both the psychological Fantastic Voyage and the balls to the wall Dalek battles and do both justice.

It felt very cheap in places as well, with the obvious office corridors doubling for the space station and the Dalek invasion force being all six props (actually using some of the Telletubby Daleks to pad out the numbers might have helped. How odd it will be if The Fiveish Doctors is their last appearance).

Despite that, it was harmless enough and had nice lines here and there and Nick Briggs was on fine throaty form. But it's one where people are going to get very mixed up over thinking parts of it were from other episodes.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. We had some pretty cool fight scenes with the Daleks and soldiers on the ship and it was a great episode for Peter Capaldi to develop his take on the Doctor, and we get to see him embracing all the aspects of who and what the Doctor is, the fascination with the universe around him, the shunned but necessary inner darkness, and we see his personality develop as a flippant and sarcastic smart ass with an intolerance of the military/soldiers. Which I'm sure will make for some awkward moments when he meets Danny Pink.

So, on the topic of Danny, a former soldier haunted by his experiences at war which I'm guessing includes accidentally killing a civilian or at least a non-combatant. So now he's a math teacher, but what was the thing with the kids in the schoolyard? Is he also a gym teacher, or does he just put kids through military drills as some sort of extracurricular thing?

Rusty the Good Dalek staying on the ship with the soldiers should make good ground for a potential follow-up, even if it is in the novels, comics, or audio dramas, though I hope they revisit this at some point in the show. Likely not this season, there seems to be no indication of Daleks returning this year, but there's always next year.

So I guess we really are through with the New Paradigm Daleks? We didn't even see one in command of the ship or any serving as the Dalek "officer class" Moffat talked about a few years back and was actually seen in Asylum of the Daleks.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Quite a few schools have Army cadets although i guess for legal reasons they aren't specifically identified as such.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

When I was in high school, I had a history teacher who also taught a gym class. I remember in grade school another teacher who did double duty teaching very different classes, but I can't remember those particular classes right now.
    :o

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, my Junior Year American History Teacher was also my Gym Coach. As was my 10th Grade Driver's Training Instructor. I believe there was also a Female French or German Teacher, within my 3 High Schools that was also an English Teacher

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That website mentions "carers" just like this episode, I had never heard that term before. I think in the US we use "caregiver" to mean that (or "guardian" as one who acts in a parental capacity).

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I honestly never know that was how it was spelt! :techman:

Didn't Rusty go back to the Dalek ship as a fifth columnist (someone mentioned a deleted scene where he blew the Dalek saucer up but I'm guessing they decided to keep him alive for the moment, he certainly adds a different Dalek element.)

I don't quite hate the paradigm Daleks as much as most, they’re not great but I can see what they were going for, it just didn't come off. I am surprised we don’t just see them in the background, like you say they could be a command and control Dalek, and I’m surprised they haven’t repurposed them as a new version of the heavy weapons Daleks. Give them a much bigger gun and a new paint job and they’d probably look quite cool in that role. As someone else said, if nothing else you could use them to bulk out the Dalek scenes.

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually I was expecting people here to be clamoring for Rusty to become the Doctor's Companion. I was surprised when they were instead campaigning for Journey Bland to join the TARDIS.

12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ With a name like Journey Blue, she's almost bound to be a traveller in a blue box!

She seemed alright to me. I wouldn't mind if she turned out to be a future companion, but I would be fine if she didn't too.

Mr Awe

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't the Doctor's rejection of Journey Blue on the grounds she's a soldier a bit harsh? I know they're establishing grounds for tension when he meets Danny, but while the Doctor has never been a big fan of the military in general, he's never shown much of a problem with individual soldiers. One of his best friends is a high ranking military officer (the Brigadier) and he's been on friendly terms with other military officers and soldiers he's met over the years, Mike Yates, Sgt. Benton, and even Private Ross from The Sontaran Stratagem. I suppose none of them were actually trying to be companions, but would that actually make a difference? Suppose Private Ross did survive The Poison Sky and asked to travel with the Doctor, would he still have rejected Ross on the grounds of "I don't travel with soldiers"? I use him as an example since he and the Doctor did seem to be developing something of a friendship and the Doctor got upset when Ross in particular was killed.

14. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Doctor is often hypocritical, however I think in this case it might probably come down to the Dalek naming the Doctor a "good Dalek", especially after the Doctor himself stated earlier in the episode that Daleks are better soldiers than anyone else.

15. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unless I overlooked the post, I'm surprised no one has commented upon the "zinger" the Doctor made concerning medical miniaturization, specifically, the followup, "Great idea for a movie, lousy if you're a proctologist!"

A bit relevant for me since I'm getting my first colonoscopy tomorrow.

whimper...

Sincerely,

Bill

16. pteal1979

pteal1979 Tal Shiar's Most Wanted Red Shirt

I was wondering if this episode was a setup for the possibility of a new dalek faction. like the renegade/imperials of old?

17. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

After a rewatch, I didn't like it so much. Capaldi still good, but Clara just gets on my tits, and as others have said, zero chemstry with Mr supposed Hunk. The women throwing themselves at him were fifty ahades of unsubtle. Not sometjhing I would normally say, but the sooner Clara is gone, the better. Jenna is okay as an actress, but she grates. YMMV.

18. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did, indeed, forget Donna and Sean. It's not like they were very memorable. ;)

Well, the Doctor had picked Clara up from Christmas Day. If she went back to her regular life when he dropped her off in Glasgow -- and it's now three weeks later... well, is it normally so warm in London in mid-January?

I, on the other hand, adore Jenna Coleman and could watch enraptured as she reads a phone book. :bolian:

19. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Again I didn't think much of this episode,starting to think the whole 12th era isn't going to be as good and with struggle with the ratings.this heaven thing is bothering me as I don't jnow what is about,i reckon all the people\things the doctor send there will be showing up in the final season episode,like the borg in voyager,the writers are using just for the sake of things.

20. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clara can stay another season as far as I'm concerned.

Never understood all the hate.