7X13 The Name Of The Doctor(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, May 18, 2013.

?

Grade "The Name Of The Doctor"

Poll closed Jun 27, 2013.
  1. Merlin

111 vote(s)
    72.1%
  2. Radagast the brown

30 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Barty crouch jr

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Destro

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Malekith

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems to me that even in the old series, the Doctor was ALWAYS able to go EXACTLY where he wanted when the plot demanded it.

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Yeah, When he needed accuracy, there was no navigation trouble. I assumed he was doing a drive with no hands approach to travel. He'd put in a rough set of co-ordinates then let the Tardis come to a stop where ever so things could be more interesting.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

That was very rare in the original series though. Baker did it in Logopolis, and there probably are other examples. (Meglos comes to mind, another late Baker story)

But, no, generally not and the plots were written to not require accurate TARDIS navigation within a story.

Typically, in the classic series, the Doctor arrives seemingly randomly, the plot commences from there, and no further TARDIS travel is required to resolve the story.

There was no built in need to return companions to specific places, usually. Teegan did want to return, and as recently alluded to, it took a long time!

In the new series, Smith can get Clara home very consistently, and often travels to specific destinations to start an adventure (The Rings story, Hide, Tranzalore, etc).

Mr Awe

4. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The addition of the Randomiser to the Tardis controls in 'The Armageddon Factor' shows that the Doctor could navigate at that point. The First and Second Doctors never could.

The Third did manage to set course successfully to Metebelis Three. I'd suggest that when the Time Lords unlocked the secrets of the Tardis at the end of 'The Three Doctors', the Doctor used the opportunity to finally fix the navigation systems. Even if that particular information hadn't been suppressed, Three apparently had greater technical skill than his previous incarnations. Access to the UNIT laboratory, primitive though it was, might have also given him an opportunity to carry out repairs, something he may earlier have lacked.

5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ It doesn't mean he could do it well though! And, generally speaking, he didn't. Over the course of the original series, I think he slowly got better, and continued to improve in the new series.

Mr Awe

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

First... It takes 6 pilots to steer a TARDIS properly.

That used to be fanfiction. I just about came when they canonized that tidbit.

The first Doctor's problem was that he couldn't be on both sides of the console like younger versions of himself managed to... Ben and Polly were trying to get home, and they got dropped off in a relative fraction of the time it took the first Doctor to find when Ian and Barbara belonged, but the others, Victoria, Jamie and Zoe were all in for the duration.

7. The Badger

Well the Doctor claimed in Journey's End that the Tardis needed six pilots. It certainly did to tow the Earth back safely. But does it for general use? He could have used that as an excuse for his poor piloting skills!

Now, can anyone help me? I've watched TNOTD several times now, and have spotted all the Doctors except Ten. Is he in there and if so where?

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

If I remember correctly We see him (bottom right, back of his head) when Claire bangs on some glass, it is a clip from em.. New Earth?

9. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ What did she save 10 from there I wonder?

11. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Nothing that actually happened. But she saved him from whatever added peril that the "Great Intelligence" put him in.

I believe that all the saving Clara did was only undoing what the GI added at each splinter. I don't think (at least I hope SM wasn't saying that the Doctor would have failed at saving whatever he was saving without Clara's help had the GI not added something more. If I'm wrong, and Clara was at different points irrelevant to the GI and saving the Doctor in the background (like hosing down the Vasha Nerada so they didn't get to the Doctor at an earlier point in the episode/adventure) then Moffat is an ass and negates everything the Doctor did using his intelligence.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, that's the way I saw it too. She wasn't there in the first round, she was merely striking back to correct the attacks by the Great Intelligence, that also weren't there in the first round

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

In one of the cut clips she pushes Six into the Tardis Console so that he bangs his head and regenerates into seven.

14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ To save us from the eyesore that was his outfit?

15. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

The Doctors "victory" in the library was based on his reputation. So what would that be in an universe, where the the GI had foiled him at every turn. The "eternal looser"?

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

River in the final hours of her life, would never have been still alive to call him to the Library.

17. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe she uncuffed him after River fried herself?

Also, I thought I saw the Tenth Doctor running around the realm of past Doctors at the end.

19. The Badger

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I rather like that--and the idea that the old incarnations still exist somehow--being shed in some way to memory.

He had the most odd regeneration--and Tom is the oldest Doctor living. I wonder if that will play a role in the future...