7X11 The Crimson Horror(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, May 4, 2013.

?

Grsde "The Crimson Horror"

Poll closed Jun 13, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

52 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. Good

40 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. Bad

8 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. …You just cannot see it

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

And come to think of it, I've been missing the "Companion lusting for the Doctor" approach ever since RTD left.

Actually, no I'm not.

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who was it who created Amy Pond again? The character who on the night before her wedding basically spreads her legs and asks the Doctor to fuck her?

I know who it wasn't...

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I really liked this one. I liked that it started with Jenny and Vastra; that was a nice twist. I liked the little touches of humor (Tom-Tom!) and of course, Dame Diane Rigg is always awesome. The ending back in the present was a bit off, but otherwise I found it really entertaining. I'd give it a "Good."

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I miss it when every episode was set in modern day London. Can't think why anybody would ever leave such a fascinating place.

5. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Series 1 = Three episodes. (Plus one partial.)
    Series 2 = Five Episodes. (One of which was in the near future.)
    Series 3 = Five Episodes. (One of which was an a very different eventually erased timeline.)
    Series 4 = Five Episodes. (One of which is largly set off the planet.)

Do you never get tired of lying?

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

He was being facetious. We know not every episode was set in modern day London, but it sure felt like that. After all the episodes in classic Who where they went to far out and strange alien worlds. All of a sudden with the new series they're stuck mostly in and around London and Earth. It really narrowed the scope of the series.

It seems that only finally is the Doctor finally branching out again.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, 1/3 set in modern London is still quite a bit.

And, really, modern anything UK. I suspect that list doesn't count modern Cardiff.

8. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And your problem is? It's credible for a normal person with wedding nerves who wants a last fling even without the added complication of this guy being the guy she's been obsessed with since childhood who's suddenly reapeared just as she was about to settle for 'nice but dull' (asRory then seemed...)
    And then she got over it... like she would in real life the next morning with a hangover and regrets...

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Exceptionally well put. Amy was realer in that moment than Rose or Martha ever were.

To add, she'd also just nearly died which likely exacerbated her feelings even more.

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amy Pond had a few bad appearances with The Beast Below, Victory of the Daleks, the Silurian 2-parter and a dodgy baby plotline but otherwise she was really terrific and episodes centred on her like Amy's Choice or The Girl Who Waited are the finest New Who has offered. Would take her over any of the previous companions and just hope her exit isn't ruined with a pointless return.

Still early days for Clara but I have high hopes. JLC is excellent, just wish she had a centric this series like Donna did with Turn Left or Amy did with Amy's Choice. Clara made a very strong impression when she was in the foreground in episodes like Cold War and Hide.

11. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

She had to wander through a forest of Weeping Angels with her eyes closed. The Doctor's lucky she wanted to wait till she got him alone.

12. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

A one-off series/miniseries could work pretty well as (part of?) a break year. Maybe even put it in the hands of someone other than Moffat as a 'test run' for one of the potential showrunners.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Was anyone else expecting Mister Sweet to be the Great Intelligence?

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I believe it's been mentioned a few times in this thread already, so yes. Some people did expect that :p

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That's an idea with potential. :)

Imagine a "Worlds of Doctor Who" umbrella title for occasional one-off films. You could have Madame Vastra one month. The River Song/Jack Harkness thing that Alex Kingston and John Barrowman both want to do another month. Maybe a Rani and Clyde movie, to catch up on them since SJA ended.

It would be a hard sell to the BBC bosses, though. Money would be hard to come by, probably harder than it was for RTD's specials year (and that, at least, had the advantage of being actual Doctor Who). Foreign broadcast partners might not be interested in picking up these specials.

It is an idea with potential, though. But it has, I think, a steeper hill to climb than a series devoted solely to Madame Vastra would.

16. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The BBC got burned on their last experience of a season of pilots (which is what that effectively was). They came out of it OK, with Being Human, but only after a near disastrous commitment to a season of Phoo Power (or whatever it was called).

17. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

They should give Team Vastra the "Sherlock" treatment and do a couple of TV movies every couple of years.

18. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Marvelous. Much better than last week.

I want Ada to join the Paternoster Gang. And I want them to get a spin-off written by Mark Gatiss.

19. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I remember vividly two scenes from this episode:
    1. Watching the old lady falling from a great height and landing on her back - "Ouch."
    2. Watching Ada whacking Mr. Sweet with her cane.

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, I did, and yet, I thought it was so predictable that I was actually disappointed that wasn't. Weird, I know. :lol:

I really like that idea (and the three story ideas) but I agree that it would be very hard sell for BBC especially after how the last round of specials were received.

But a guy can dream, right?