50th Anniversary Rewatch Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by dahj, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yep.
    I guess they needed a martyr (young, beautiful daughter of the leader of their government) to inspire the masses to commit suicide by virus. Showing her cured is sending the wrong message. Put the first pilot show in the can. Remake the pilot show with martyr #2.

2. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I find that episode... kinda annoying.

3. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

I think that can actually be explained away by close scrutiny of the dialogue, but agreed that this one needed one more rewrite for sure. It's still worthwhile.

4. Phaser Two

Exactly. I believe she was supposed to die and Kirk was supposed to live as a source of the virus.

5. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Watching it this time I got a definite abortion debate vibe during Kirk's talk with Hodin.

6. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Often it seems that when an intelligent idea pops up in Trek, many fans figure it was somehow an accident. Like Bele and his evolution remark. We may have developed a tendency to expect little from TV, but Trek is different. The older I get, the more I'm impressed at the thought put into the program, and that very much includes episodes not thought of highly by fans. It's a damn smart show. Those ideas are there on purpose.

7. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reluctant to give credit for intent because to the best of my knowledge nobody is bragging about it being on purpose, and people involved with making Star Trek usually love to do that... ;)

8. Phaser Two

GR, yes. Other people, not so much. And people stewarding S3? Not a chance.

9. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I believe you're doing with the show what many people do with animals, you're anthropomorphizing it.

10. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well they were an isolated planet and there was mention of the system wars between planets from long ago that may have forced them to adopt a closed society thinking and it was still in effect?
    I knew Odona was the Typhoid Mary but at the conclusion of the episode do you think they were still allowed to go ahead with their plan to murder their populace?
    JB

11. Henoch

I have hope that Odona's eyes were opened to an other choice after she was inspired by Kirk, his Starship and the Federation. She might convince her father that the murder plan needs to be cancelled, and a new plan of emigration with the Federation's help would be a better choice.

johnnybear likes this.
  12. johnnybear

Yeah, the ending to this one was a little left open don't you all think? :shifty:
    JB

Henoch likes this.
  13. dahj

That would just lead to the Krogan Gideon Rebellions and the unleashing of the genophage by the Turians Section 31... ;)

14. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Moving people from Gideon to other planets only solves the problem if they change their philosophy or they will just overpopulate every planet they live on.

15. johnnybear

Maybe they would , but it would take quite a few centuries wouldn't it, Polty! :hugegrin:
    JB

16. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

I'm sure no one notified them that some viewers thought their lines only accidentally had some meaning or apparent thought behind them... they probably figure the lines speak for themselves...

17. dahj

"That Which Survives", Episode 72, January 24th

Tonight's Episode: Ghost lady from a ghost planet plays a deadly game of tag with the crew of the Enterprise.

18. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I thought the episode was a commentary on poor places in Africa where people kept having large families and refused contraception because of religious (Chistian) reasons.

19. dahj

But that's kinda my point, they do brag about the super obvious stuff, often and loudly. There's been hundreds of articles, documentaries and stuff about Star Trek over the years and I really don't recall anyone talking about this. :shrug:

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  20. Henoch

I loved the technical tension about the ship accelerating to explosion with Scott and Spock trying to avoid the disaster. I'm a tech geek.

Just think of the wonderful technology the Federation will gain when they send research teams to study the Kalandan Outpost. :eek: Teleporting starships 900 light years! Solid Holograms without special rooms or even equipment! Advanced geophysical terraforming technology!...Nah, 100 years later in TNG there's none of it. Did Spock lose its address? :shrug:

It sounds that TNG retreaded the same story in The Last Outpost of the tKon Empire.