tadeo-d-oria-orthos-awacs.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-orthos-type6.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-orthos-type6v2.jpg
For the pylons that are attached to your warp nacelles, you need to rotate them 90°, otherwise you're creating a huge amount of drag once you get in atmoshpere.
Make the pylons continuous if you have to, but having the large flat area hit the wind while flying is only going to hurt your performance, at least try to make them neutral aerodynamically.

Pretty sure Rekkert is just trying to accurately recreate what was shown onscreen in TFF, not redesign it so it would actually be a feasible real-world vehicle.
IC, but a simple 90° rotation would improve on the original design he's replicating and fix the fundamental design flaw IMO.

IC, but a simple 90° rotation would improve on the original design he's replicating and fix the fundamental design flaw IMO.

Rekkert is just accurately reproducing the shuttle design from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

TFF-384.jpg

And given that the typical Starfleet shuttle looks to be about as aerodynamic as a loaf of bread and copes with planetary atmospheres just fine I don't think those struts would be a major issue.

And given that the typical Starfleet shuttle looks to be about as aerodynamic as a loaf of bread and copes with planetary atmospheres just fine I don't think those struts would be a major issue.
But which Type of Bread & some Bread shapes are more aerodynamic than others ^_-

Working on corridors has proved to be not the most exciting project, especially as I wanted these to be heavily based on the TMP/TNG corridors and existing pieces, so I have to keep my own creativity in check. I consider these on hold until I can be bothered to continue with them.

During the last month or so I started two other projects though given a lack of time and drive are languishing on my PC. Maybe posting them will give me the motivation to do something with them.

First off is a Dominion War era Olympic-class bridge, for a medical ship. Very similar in layout to the Pasteur from TNG, but using parts from my Thunderchild bridge. I'd probably name the ship the USS Leloir or use the existing USS Nobel name.
tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg

The second project I actually started this past weekend, and it's a small ready room for the USS Yeager. Going through my references I recalled the ready room of the USS Challenger from VOY:"Timeless" being a redressed wall from Neelex's Baxial bridge, which itself was a redress from the Hathaway/Enterprise-C bridge consoles. So I recreated that wall from my existing meshes, and then went from there to create a very small room, given the size of the ship. I'll probably continue with this one, but it's mostly just decorations and small props to call it done, paintings and stuff like that, so I've got to think what sort of theme I want for those. I know I'll incorporate a model of the X-1 plane Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier with.
tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg

@publiusr: Pretty much, no earl grey and canapes here...

@batboy853: Interesting concept, I like that idea!

Continued with the Yeager ready room, I've added the FC style display monitor, which I have mixed feelings for as it wastes a lot of space for such a small desk. I could've gone with the Insurrection version as that's a lot more compact, but I really don't like the design on that one. I also completely redid the PADDs I've been using, adding more designs and different sizes.

Finally for now, I also added some decorations from CG Trader: the previously mentioned Bell X-1 model, and a stretching black cat statue. This last one is in honor of our oldest cat Muffin, who we had to say goodbye to on the same day I started working on this room, after having been fighting an illness for some time.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg

Got a solution for the FC monitor size problem, I think. I really like it's design but it takes a lot of space on the desk when not in use. So I removed some of the glass dividers on the back shelf, and now there's a place to store the monitor on its closed position, I think this works and is quite analogous to how one might store a laptop when not in use.

On other updates, I got a bonzai tree and some generic books online; and I modeled some isolinear chips and other small details, plus LCARS for the aforementioned monitor. And I added a frame on the wall above the desk, on which I'll place a painting-like render of the Yeager I'm having commissioned.

The open book's a little easter egg, being a page out of the still in-progress digital book "Starship Class: The History, Traditions, & Workings of Star Trek's Mighty Starships", being written by STO's Art Director Thomas Marrone. As the name implies, the book's a fascinating look at Starfleet vessels through the different Trek productions and their real-life analogues in both contemporary and historical navies.

tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c5-03.jpg

When we see that monitor in use in FC, Picard is sacked out having Borg nightmares and the monitor is across the room and flips up on its own when Admiral Hayes calls. So couldn't that happen when the captain has it stashed on their side shelf? Maybe it would be better to use a smaller monitor like the one they gave Picard in INS?

I know it doesn't. I'm talking about the monitor and its ability to pop up the screen on its own even when the user isn't sitting in front of it.

If the concept of the design is that the screen can activate itself when a call comes in, that's not really compatible with the idea of putting it away. The tricky part is figuring out a plausible reason why it would fold open flat at all. It doesn't take up less space, like a laptop. You can't really see the screen when it's flat. It's too bulky to be able to pick up and carry around like a pad when it's flat. The only thing I can think of is that the idea is that, during meetings, having it flat prevents it from looking like the captain is reading something while they're supposed to be paying attention to who they're talking to, and I guess having it open instead of closed means you can see the screen while it's inactive.

I suppose the integrated NEM version makes more sense conceptually, but then you need a backplate under the desk for it to retract into, and it's not great for ergonomics that it's permanently in one position and can't be moved or tilted. Maybe every desk is custom-made to the captain's height to pre-place the screen in the optimum location and viewing angle. They've got the technology.

Back