24: Live Another Day. Discussion Thread. (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, May 4, 2014.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

And then Jack let Paul Reines die on the operating table to save a Chinese nuclear scientist who had information on Marwan. Jack giveth, and he taketh away. :lol:

2. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Jack's kind of a dick like that.

I do agree with a lot of the characters on the show though...just why does Chloe stick by him :p

3. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As Heller succinctly put it in Season 6: "You're cursed, Jack. Everything you touch, one way or another, ends up dead." :D

4. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Late to the party due to me (as always, how does anyone manage it one episode a week?) waiting for the blu ray, indeed I've just overdosed on 24 by watching all of Live Another Day across 24 hours (the first disc yesterday, and six hours solid today), so I may have gone mad as a result...

But this was overall top quality 24. It was insanely silly and ticked off every single thing you'd expect from the show:

Jack a renegade who gets reinstated; Presidential Death (wonderfully told to us straight right from the start, and despite the double bluff that's exactly what will finish Heller at the end of the season); Jack finding blonde's especially helpful; major character death (I was genuinely expecting Chloe to be at the end of the road, Audrey buying it knocked me for six); Moles; Jack being the one and only competent agent working for America (and by extension the world, as a Uker I do object to the Brits only attempt to fight against the terrorists on their soil being to blow themselves up with one of their own grenades), twists, surprising returns (Chang!)... and probably many more things anyone playing the 24 drinking game to get super pissed on (damnit! I was disappointed it took till around episode 7 for someone to shout "Federal Agents!").

But it was such huge fun, and got the portrayal of the UK more right than any other American TV show I can think of (Heller giving his speech to parliament being the only real misstep), it was probably the best return of a cancelled TV show since....Ohhh... Doctor Who back in 2005? Certainly the other announced "Beloved American shows return for a mini series" that are almost certainly a result of 24's success... Well, I think only Twin Peaks (if done really right, and 24 has the advantage of not ending on a big cliffhanger and not being seen as "Art") has a chance of topping it. Does anyone care about Heroes coming back as well?

And at the very least, both the cliffhanger- which is sort of a decaf version of how season five ended- and the short on the Blu Ray setting up not only Tony's return but a new Mysterious Villain (tm-who seems to have realised the show is set well into the future by this point and has made Tony hologram glasses)- has to be a sign the showmakers are sure we'll be getting more soon. And I look forward to it.

Lest we forget: the next season (regardless of episodes) will be the tenth, which I think is a big enough event to centre it around Tony (especially as the 9th wound up resolving Chang). And I am bloody well looking forward to it.

Was anyone else surprised by how old Carlos Bernard looked in the short? It's not just his absence as this season featured people we haven't seen for longer, he just looked like leather that had been beaten under a hot sun once too often. Kieffer enjoys life, but he;'s not that haggard.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well if they ever make a character out of the guy behind the voice, they're going to have to recast since it was Xander Berkeley, the late George Mason. Mason was too important in the 24 world to bring the actor back as someone else, like they did with Tony Todd.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Cliffhanger? Wasn't the ending of Live Another Day suitable bittersweet? Jack just gets arrested by the Russians to live out the rest of his life in a Gulag somewhere in exchange for Chloe's life.

Was it really meant to be a Cliffhanger ending?

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

As season 7 was one of the best of the latter seasons of 24, they'll follow its template by revealing that, like Tony, Mason didn't actually die after all and having George return as a radioactive villain.

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I think people are only referring to it as a cliffhanger since there is a strong chance we'll be getting another season. It was written in such a way to appear like an ending, but we all know it's not.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Oh? I thought Sutherland said this was the end.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Nothing's confirmed, but there is an extremely high probability we'll get a tenth season.

11. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing he can be tempted back, but it's not automatic. He'll wait until the writers blow his socks off.

12. Captaindemotion

Or the producers blow his wallet away.

13. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

A season could work with having the specter of Jack needing rescue and Tony, Chloe et. all rescue him. But at the end of the day, you need Jack.

14. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I think he can take that for granted.

15. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Tony short really does feel like set up for another season, and there's one big loose end in that the evil conspiracy revealed at the end of season 7 that turned out to be behind pretty much everything that ever happened in the show was never followed up on and we never found out what Rene learnt from torturing that one guy.

As for the ending, was it actually confirmed in dialogue it was Russian agents that took Jack off? We only heard his side of the phone conversation and the guy he spoke to at the end and their destination could have been pure misdirection, a Russian rather than the Russians. Between that and someone arranging Tony's jailbreak, perhaps someone (radioactive three headed George?) is collecting the most hardcore insane badass agents they can for a Special Purpose?

16. Captaindemotion

Does anyone know if the full bonus scene is yet online? I've only been able to see the clip with Tony pleading to be released from solitary confinement, not the other clip with the mysterious voice that's been described in this thread.

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of it being a selling point for the bluray ;)

18. Captaindemotion

^ Well, it would if it was an official upload but as you know there are other ways and means!