2020 titles announced

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by GaryH, Aug 1, 2019.

1. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

I just had a quick look at some of my the Trek MMPBs I’ve got on my shelves. I don’t think they’ve increased by the rate of inflation for years.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, exactly. MMPBs managed to stay at a fixed price for an incredibly long time, maybe 15 years by now. If their prices had continued to increase at the same rate as in the previous 15 years, they'd probably cost at least $12 by now.

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't speak for other passengers, but part of the reason I went ebook is because I couldn't fit enough books into my bag for an average holiday:D

ATimson and Greg Cox like this.
  4. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

That is the only time I read ebooks. At home it is physical copies.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Wordery are doing buy 2 books, get 10% off of the second. Expires tonight.

If you play it right, you can grab the Picard hardback for £11.40.

trampledamage likes this.
  6. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Used to be like that too, but everybody in our house is a heavy reader, so shelf space started to become an issue too:(
    That said, I still grab a physical book from the shelf fairly regularly and get some more at Christmas.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm a Luddite when it comes to ebooks, but, in theory, I can definitely appreciate the advantages when it comes to long airplane flights and travel in general. I still remember being stranded for hours on the tarmac in Washington, DC with nothing but a borrowed romance novel to read, because I'd already finished the book I brought for flight, and I also recall traipsing across Italy with what felt like a small library on my back: guidebooks, phrasebooks, pleasure reading, etc. :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Therin of Andor, Leto_II and BillJ like this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just looked though the Kindle and paperback/hardcover versions of the most recent Star Wars books, and quite a few of the Kindle versions actually are cheaper than the other versions. There were a few where the Kindle was more expensive, but that's just because the paper versions are marked down more.
    And with TV and movies, the digital version isn't always cheaper, I got the first season of Titans on Blu-Ray because it was cheaper than the digital version.
    EDIT: I looked at the Trek books, and right now on the American Amazon the e-books for Dead Endless and Last Best Hope are cheaper than the paperback and hardcover. Dead Endless is $11.99 for the Kindle version and $16.00 for the paperback, and Last Best Hope is $12.99 for the Kindle version and $19.93 for the hardcover.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There are definite advantages to ebooks. My vision is terrible, so I crank that font up! :lol:

Plus, it is no hassle to carry extra books, in case I get bored with the one I’m reading.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

One other thing I like about them I don't see mentioned a lot is that the devices you read them on are a lot easier to handle than books tend to be. I had some issues with my hands for a while, and it's a lot easier to hold an e-read or tablet one handed, or even propped up so you don't need any hands than a book is.

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Based on what Ive been reading in this thread it sounds like their future has been decided.

12. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Developed a rather severe dust allergy as I got older so one of the first changes we made at the house was to (reluctantly) ditch nearly every book we had.
    I own a kindle now and wouldn’t trade it for the world.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I apoligize if this has already been posted and I forgot, but David Mack's website has the cover and description up for More Beautiful Than Death. The cover is OK, but the description sounds really good.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Such a bland publicity photo cover after the amazing Collateral Damage one. But still super glad this one is coming out at last.

15. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I believe the authors have mentioned their word-count target is higher now with TPBs than it was in the old days, not that that was a hard-and-fast rule.

eBooks can be discounted, but normally at the discretion of the publisher, not the store (since electronically-based stores generally take a percentage of the final price, rather than buying the books "wholesale" and adding on whatever margin they want as their cut, which allows them to sell below cost). I believe S&S does monthly sales with older Trek titles reduced to one or two bucks for the ebook, often on some kind of theme.

16. Christopher

Yeah, our target range for MMPBs was generally 80-100,000 words, but our target for TPBs is 100-120K, at least in my recent experience.

Therin of Andor and Greg Cox like this.
  17. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was curious as to how the Kelvin Verse novel covers would be arranged. Memory Alpha had the original covers from their initial announcement (I'm assuming just as a placeholder until something official came out).

I see it carries the original series typeface (but without "The Original Series" subtitle). I was wondering if they were going to include some sort of description below the title to indicate it was a Kelvin timeline novel (though I'm not sure how they would accomplish that "A Kelvin Timeline Novel" or "Kelvin Verse" novel seems clumsy. I guess they decided to let the cover picture tell you what kind of novel it is.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least these days the cover art does seem to be a bit more trustworthy than it was back in the earlier days of the books.

Damian likes this.
  19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The blank cover art on the iBooks store calls ADF's novel (whatever title it has this week) "Untitled STR." I didn't keep track so it might be my imagination, but those seemed abbreviations seemed a lot more consistent with last year's preorders. The other purchasable-but-uncover-arted books have placeholder titles of "The Higher Frontier" for "The Higher Frontier," and "Untitled LBH" for "Last Best Hope," which is doubly inaccurate.

In any case, I have no idea what "STR" stands for. Entirely possible it's just "STaR Trek." At least they didn't go for the always-confusing nickname that Tumblr seems to have settled on for the Kelvin Timeline, "AOS" (Alternate Original Series).

20. Christopher

The working title of ADF's novel was Star Trek: Refugees, so that may be it. Thought it's now called The Unsettling Stars, after being announced under the title The Order of Peace a few months ago.