2016 MLB Regular Season - It's an Even Year...

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

"Sure as God made green apples"

Corran Horn likes this.
  2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In football, "I'm going to Disney Land!" In Baseball "I'm going to Aspen!"

Actually it's to protect their eyes in the event of an errant champagne cork during the celebration.

3. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let that damn dead goat rest in peace.

Corran Horn likes this.
  4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Absolutely "shit can happen". Half the team could get injured, which I hope doesn't happen, but there were years when seemingly half the Cardinals were on the DL and they still won the division.

How an organization deals with that kind of catastrophe and still wins is the real tell. I think we have incredible offensive and position depth, but organizational pitching depth is a major concern.

As long as the Cubs players don't let this ultimate success go to their heads, they can meet the expectation of a repeat.

5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Congrats Cubs!!!!!!!!!!! I stayed up through the whole game but I was well worth it! During a time when this bull shit election dominates everything, America needed something inspiring like this. Definitely made me happy and I'm Red Sox fan. :)

Jedi_Master likes this.
  6. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

What a year for sports. Leicester win the Premier League, first title in 132 years. Cavs win the NBA Finals. Portugal wins the Euros. And now the Cubs win the World Series.

Damn.

7. Ar-Pharazon

On top of what Theo has done for two long suffering teams now, what about having true Cubs fan Tom Ricketts as the owner who hired Theo and let him do absolutely whatever needed doing, re-building the entire organization from the ground up.

When I think of all the clueless team owners Chicago has had, the Bulls were lucky to get 6 championships with the same owner who now can't find his ass with both hands behind his back, and the Mom & Pop mentality of the McCaskeys.

Corran Horn likes this.
  8. Ar-Pharazon

Are those separate "signs of the apocalypse"™, or only one?

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I was thinking of you last night.

Congrats! Enjoy....

Yanks likes this.
  10. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I had a job interview this morning so I went to bed and watched the 10th inning from there. When Bryant threw that final strike to Rizzo (who was sneaky and pocketed the ball immediately, I had to :lol: at that), I started screaming so loud that I scared the shit out of my dog, who immediately bolted from the bed and ran into her crate, and woke up my wife from a deep slumber.

Worth it.

11. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

He also did the same in the NLCS.

Corran Horn and Jedi_Master like this.
  12. Timby

Dude's got his priorities straight. :lol: It took me a long time to come around on him but I'm glad I was wrong. A first baseman who can rack up three straight seasons of at least 30 dingers and an OPS+ of 146 or better is a rare, valuable commodity and I hope I see him stretching to pick everything out of the air at Wrigley for a decade to come.

Corran Horn and Jedi_Master like this.
  13. Timby

Also, teams are now making decisions on player contract options. Ryan Howard's career with the Phillies is officially over, while the Cardinals have picked up Jaime Garcia's (probably in the hope of flipping him at the winter meetings, since this year's free agent crop for pitching is 31 flavors of terrible).

I have to wonder what Dexter Fowler's contract demands are going to be. Hopefully the Cubs back up a Brinks Home Security truck full of cash to his front door.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  14. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

and your opinion on the rental player Chapman, Was it worth it?

15. Timby

Chapman is still a piece of human garbage and I'll be happy to see him fuck back off to the Yankees. I hesitate to put too much stock in relievers from year to year, because historically they're easily the most fungible asset on the roster (with rare exceptions like, say, Mo Rivera). He certainly was lights-out for the Cubs down the stretch -- that 401 ERA+ is some video game on rookie difficulty level shit -- but I genuinely don't want him on the team.

Edit: I'm also still not a fan of the prospect haul the Cubs gave up -- the Indians gave up a lot less for Miller, and he's got two more years of team control -- but, yeah, yeah, flags fly forever. Thanks for helping the team win it all, Chapman, here's a ticket back to the Bronx.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  16. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

That Indian bullpen was masterful, but Francona ran them into the ground - you could tell they were worn out by game 7. David Ross hitting a HR and trotting around made up for him having to put up with the human colostomy bag that masquerades as Jon Lester (Seriously? You make your catcher look like a fool because you can't field a ball?). I actually teared up when I saw Ross high-fiving and hugging his teammates. That man is all class. I imagine he will be coaching in the big leagues next year.

bigdaddy likes this.
  17. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

I think we can continue this in the Off Season Thread that someone will surely open soon. I can't come up with a witty title so I'm passing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.