2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, May 8, 2014.

1. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

^^ I was afraid of what you just described. Didn't Klinsmann take a lot of fire when he suggested the US Team would probably not get the world cup?

Only a cretin would drink wine from something other than a glass or bottle of glass. :rolleyes:

Bob

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It's probably for the best

3. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Except if you want to hide your wine :shifty:

To get the public interested in football, you need drama and a unfair match. Yesterday wasn't dramatic or unfair, that was a logical result.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Nah, I don't think it's a big deal. We lost in the Round of 16 back in 2010 and interest was still even stronger this time around. It helps that this has been a very entertaining World Cup overall. We're still a long ways off from soccer overtaking the major sports, but I think when the 2018 World Cup comes around you'll find that interest will be greater still.

5. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I remember years ago when a US team was doing well, I don't remember if it was the world cup. But the guy was saying something along the lines of "Can't you leave this to the rest of us?" Meaning they didn't want the US to come in and dominate the sport.

I think that could happen. But only if the US professional leagues get popular enough to challenge the existing (American) football, baseball, basketball, and hockey. Once that happens more of the best American athletes will choose football/soccer and progress up from there.

But while I think it could happen, I think it will be slow. It could be decades.

6. Lt. LaForge

Lt. LaForge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have been a supporter of Brazil for a long time. Having watched Rivaldo, Romario etc, it really is depressing to see the likes if Fred and Hulk in the Seleção. Fred wearing Ronaldo's 9 is actually embarrassing. They will probably lose to Colombia's vicious counter-attacking style, unfortunately. A way to rectify this impending failure is by playing Willian in place of Fred (greater speed, better passing, higher work-rate) as a false nine, similarly to how Spain utilized Fabregas in 2010 (dropping their striker, Torres because he, like Fred today, was in horrible form). dropping Hulk for Ramirez would make a big and positive difference too. My formation would be something like this 4-3-3;

Ramirez, Fernandinho, Gustavo

...............Willian
    Oscar.........................Neymar

7. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

You know, I really miss the days when I enjoyed watching Brazil play just to see them show off their incredible skills and ball technique. When it was inconceivable for any Brazilian player on defense to just kick the ball over the sideline "to be safe". They'd rather dribble inside the 6-yard-box and set themselves up for a bicycle kick than do that.

I miss Roberto Carlos' free kicks.

Watching the current Seleção play is more like watching a (bad to middling) European team from the last century (disregarding Neymar).

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

For all that its a satirical article it does make a point. If America every really embraced football the rest of us might be screwed :)

9. Shaytan

Bof, apparently they still wouldn't understand it ;)

I know what you mean. Fred played several seasons for Lyon and watching him play in the brazilian team is a joke :lol:

I still think that Lucas could have a place in this team, he can do impressive things sometimes, but I also think that maybe better for him to not be in this team.

10. oojason

oojason Commander Red Shirt

"Beauty comes first.
    Victory is second.
    What really matters is joy."

Socrates

I hope we see a more traditional, artful & skilful Brasil side in the future too. Do you think the fans would be patient and wait for the transition of a more European functional unit into a side with flair of old if results suffered for it, though? I hope so.

11. Shaytan

A French TV channel will broadcast France-Germany of 1982 tonight, to be sure that we know why we don't want to see Germany winning tomorrow :lol:

12. Lt. LaForge

Its fantastic to meet the acquaintance of a like mind. Yes, those days of watching THAT Brazil team were great. I long for the days we saw Rivaldo dribbling through three midfielders and then slicing a perfect through-ball for Ronaldo to dribble around the goal-keeper, utilizing his trademark step-overs before softly caressing the ball into the net.
    However, now we must settle for Scolari making Oscar resemble James Milner.

13. Lt. LaForge

Everyone has it in for the Germans. Even the Algerians sought retribution in the two teams' last encounter.

14. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

The German coach, Joachim Löw, said at one of the latest press conferences: "We will be among the 4 finalists."

Pride cometh before the fall? ;)

(Wonder if he had made such statement, if Franck Ribèry were playing for the French team)

Bob

15. oojason

oojason Commander Red Shirt

16. Shaytan

The German newspapers act a little like the Swiss newspapers 2 weeks ago :lol:

I can't say that I'm very confident, it will be difficult but not impossible. For both teams ;)

17. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

The Germans are solid-looking as usual.

18. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

DEUTSCHLAND!

19. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Finally a complete team effort by Germany and it paid off against a very strong french team. Once again Neuer keeps Germany in the game and if that doesn't mean he's one of the best if not the best goalkeepers in the world nothing else will.

I'm not much of a football expert but from what i heard from colleagues and read many players were playing on positions they were not used to or ill suited for but today most of them were at their usual places and it seemed to pay off.

I hope this trend continues and Germany keeps up the level.. they have shown they can and i'm really hoping they can break their curse of dropping nerves in late stage tournament rounds where hard opponents are waiting.

Next up Brazil vs. Colombia.. i'm betting on Colombia.

20. Shaytan

Our personal nemesis, I said it.

Anyway, this time the French team leaves the world cup without drama, it's been a long time :lol:

Next competition (Euro 2016) will be at home and there is a strong generation of young players coming, this should be interesting :)