2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, May 8, 2014.

1. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

[​IMG]

It's also bad form to post a link/ article without any comment on it. What was the point of posting that, what does it add to the discussion?

2. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Iran bad, biting good!

3. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

I disagree. Biting is bad as well.

I mean, really, who bites someone else? Besides 2 year olds, that is?

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's not bollocks because there's a difference in my opinion.

Shoving, hard tackling, elbowing and such all fall under the physicality of the sport. There are limits to this and if you go past them your opponent gets the ball, you get warned or sent off the field. While some fouls are needlessly hard (such as charging at the opponent feet first) they fall under the rules of the game which everybody accepts as part of the game and you don't see lawsuits for assault.

What Suarez did went way past the game. This was not fighting for the ball.. he intentionally walked up to a player and just bit him.

Try to justify it any way you want by citing other rough behaviour but this one went far outside of the game.

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

^^
    I agree, it's not about biting being more violent than breaking someone's leg, but it's more deviant in the context of the game.

6. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Suarez is a scumbag. No rational adult human being bites another human being, regardless of anything else. Attempting to argue that it's no worse than any other kind of onfield foul is just bizarre.

The less said about the Uruguayan claims that the bite is actually an existing scar (that just happened to be in the exact same place Suarez made contact), was photoshopped (in real time and on live TV, no less) and that poor Suarez is the victim of an international smear campaign, the better.

Anyway...

The last 16 are more or less sorted and I'm still hoping Portugal bomb out. I've just seen another replay of Messi's second goal against Nigeria and the bloke is simply brilliant - every bit as good as (and in my irrelevant opinion, much better than) Ronaldo and without the grotesque ego. Quite an entertaining match all 'round.

7. oojason

oojason Commander Red Shirt

I think they may be referring to the photos that soon appeared on twitter and other social media. They have also made reference to Chiellini using a previous injury/mark to highlight what Suarez did:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He still bit him though.

As

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v0CdBqUmNA - 41 seconds in. 'Not attempting to argue it's worse than any other onfield behaviour' - but putting it out there that biting it's not as bad as deliberately breaking someone's legs, elbowing in the face or headbutting them.

I'd rather be bitten than be on the receiving end of that - you? Which is worse the bite - or the jaw breaking elbow to the face which left him in hospital and out of footy for some time.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  8. oojason

The article in itself is reason as to why I'd be wishing Iran good luck - in answer to Roger Wilco about being wrong for saying 'c'mon Iran'.

Did it need spelling out? No worries if it did - I'll ensure I do for the future.

9. oojason

I think Camren (and I apologise if I'm wrong) is speaking about deliberately intending to injure an opponent by leg-break, elbow, headbutt? There were a few last night in the French game and throughout this tournament - nowhere near the ball - but haven' seen many posts on asking for players to be banned for it? Should they be?

Watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8O6poP9gF4 which is worse? Which deserves a lengthier ban do you think?

Giroud elbow - not the worst in the world - ball no-where near, intent to injure an opponent - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry6glk4ju8o

C'mon the Yanks and Ghana for tonight.

10. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

FIFA banned Luis Suarez for 9 games.

11. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

And a 4 month ban that will also affect his club.

12. { Emilia }

In other news Ghana has sent home their two best players: Muntari and Boateng.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Be interesting to see if anyone such as Barcelona will still want to buy him knowing he won't play before October?

14. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I suppose it would affect his price, but not his athletic value, since the second part of the season is always more important for a club like Barcelona.

15. { Emilia }

Sooo... USA vs. Germany!

16. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I would be happy with a draw.

Victory for USMNT would be better, but a draw would be fine.

17. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

In that case I sure hope FIFA severely punish the next footballer to pinch an opponent. And a lifetime ban for any player found guilty of pulling another players hair. These 'deviant' acts are way more sinister than an elbow or headbutt to the face, which result in far softer punishment as already evidenced at this World Cup.

18. { Emilia }

So, the guys in white... are they supposed to be playing, too?
    It's hard to tell cause they never get the ball.

19. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jermaine Jones colliding with referee. wow!

20. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Come on guys! Hold on for 45 more minutes.