14th Doctor is Here! BBC Children in Need 2023!

I enjoyed that. Tennent still has it. Since I don't have Disney+, I have to wait to see the specials but I might sign up for a month in December for them. This took me back to Seasons 2-4 in terms of wittiness and pacing.

Already seeing people elsewhere complaining about "continuity errors" so I'll just note that the Doctor specifically said that "the timelines and canon are rupturing." I dunno whether that was supposed to be meta or serious (or both) but given that this face is back I could see it being something actually changing history that's going to be followed up on in the specials.

1. starts with copping old music - check
2. continues with decades'-trite banshee wailing muzak - check
3. trite muzak drowning out spoken dialogue - check
4. Copping lines from and condensing "Genesis of the Daleks" into a throwaway - check
5. Technically, they were originally called "Dals", but the audience won't notice... if not, an inane one-liner about "timelines" will take care of it all, no creativity required - unless the goal is to blame the audience for having expectations of what a celebration is supposed to be, and usually they aren't consciously self-effacing
6. Who's the target audience of this?! Not fans as this all but denigrates "Genesis of the Daleks" for the sake of cheap jokes and this isn't season 17...
7. "touch nothing, is that understood" was done far better in the Red Dwarf episode "Bodyswap" (and is actually funny there)
8. Tennant's first speech is a retread of Ten. So much for Fourteen being different. So much for "radically different" as well, Unless That's Part Of The Joke But Who Cares... hey, get it, "Who cares"? :guffaw:
9. The toilet plunger ha-ha-bonk, complete with more muzak.

"Dimensions in Time"'s respectability just skyrocketed. Fan groups who used to have all the fun of mocking the show now feel robbed of the opportunities if the main show is going to try to do it for them. /s...

1. starts with copping old music - check
2. continues with decades'-trite banshee wailing muzak - check
3. trite muzak drowning out spoken dialogue - check
4. Copping lines from and condensing "Genesis of the Daleks" into a throwaway - check
5. Technically, they were originally called "Dals", but the audience won't notice... if not, an inane one-liner about "timelines" will take care of it all, no creativity required - unless the goal is to blame the audience for having expectations of what a celebration is supposed to be, and usually they aren't consciously self-effacing
6. Who's the target audience of this?! Not fans as this all but denigrates "Genesis of the Daleks" for the sake of cheap jokes and this isn't season 17...
7. "touch nothing, is that understood" was done far better in the Red Dwarf episode "Bodyswap" (and is actually funny there)
8. Tennant's first speech is a retread of Ten. So much for Fourteen being different. So much for "radically different" as well, Unless That's Part Of The Joke But Who Cares... hey, get it, "Who cares"? :guffaw:
9. The toilet plunger ha-ha-bonk, complete with more muzak.

"Dimensions in Time"'s respectability just skyrocketed. Fan groups who used to have all the fun of mocking the show now feel robbed of the opportunities if the main show is going to try to do it for them. /s...
It's a comedy short of charity, don't take it so seriously.

Looks like RTD finally got his wish as expressed in The Writer's Tale to show Julian Bleach as a pre-injury Davros.

That was exactly what I was intending to come here and say! I guess great minds do think alike.
Looks like RTD finally got his wish as expressed in The Writer's Tale to show Julian Bleach as a pre-injury Davros.

That was exactly what I was intending to come here and say! I guess great minds do think alike.

Already some people online complaining that it retcons Davros to not be in the chair. I assumed, like you, that this is just pre accident Davros?

Already some people online complaining that it retcons Davros to not be in the chair. I assumed, like you, that this is just pre accident Davros?

Nope. According to Russell in the making-of episode this is what Davros always looked like and will look like if he ever appears again. And yes it's for exactly the bullshit "can't show someone in a wheelchair being evil" reasons you're imagining.

If this is the sort of pathetic pandering that's going to drive the series going forward I'm feeling a lot less optimistic about the future.

Last edited:
First off, brilliant and genius little episode. Loved every single thing about it.

Nope. According to Russell in the making-of episode this is what Davros always looked like and will look like if he ever appears again. And yes it's for exactly the bullshit "can't show someone in a wheelchair being evil" reasons you're imagining.
Yeah, I just watched Doctor Who Unleashed and it seems this is how Davros always looked. I understand RTDs reasonings but I've seen lots of comments from wheelchair users online saying that it's ridiculous and why should it matter if Davros is in a wheelchair?

Canonically we could say that the interaction between Davros and the 12th Doctor's regeneration energy has had this impact on the character which I would be OK with if that's the case. I'm interested in a fresh take on the same character, but for forever? Davros's look is so iconic. I don't think it should be gone forever.

Yeah, I just watched Doctor Who Unleashed and it seems this is how Davros always looked. I understand RTDs reasonings but I've seen lots of comments from wheelchair users online saying that it's ridiculous and why should it matter if Davros is in a wheelchair?

He's not evil because he's in a wheelchair. He's evil because he's a FUCKING NAZI.

And where does this stop? No more Cybermen, I guess, because that's offensive to people with prosthetic body parts.

Back