11:59

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by 2 of 10, Dec 18, 2010.

1. brcarthey

brcarthey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

nixon was already in his second term so the only presidency it might have affected would have been ford's. if watergate doesn't happen, agnew doesn't resign and ford isn't appointed VP and eventually president. i guess ford could have run for the nomination in '76 but he would most likely have had to fight a challenge from both agnew and reagan. carter would probably still have been the democrats' choice, but then it all depends on how nixon would end his second term as to who would have been elected in '76.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Golly. My bad.

Ford was only in office 29 months?

That's barely long enough to fall over a couple times and pardon Nixon.

It's been suggested that Ford (mostly?) lost to Carter because it was difficult to forgive the pardon... But you're Suggesting that Spiro would have have won/lead the convention for '76?

3. brcarthey

yeah. hard to believe. nixon resigned on august 8th, 1974.

ford also lost (as some believe carter too) due to a long protracted primary fight with reagan. typically, when an incumbent has a challenge from within the party, both the party and outsiders see the incumbent as being too weak. yes, ford was very unpopular for pardoning nixon, but he also served during a really poor economy 9(as did carter) and let congress curb many presidential powers. so after all those things you can see why his party (and america) was not though of him as weak and weren't too keen for another four years with him.

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, Brcarthey.
    Welcome back.:)

5. brcarthey

hey exodus! i don't know how frequent my visits will be but i'll be trying to visit more often now that i've gotten my first semester of med school behind me. what's up with you?

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I bought a new car for one.
    I'm calling it "My Voyager" because it's got tech. in it that I still have yet to figure out what it does.:lol:

7. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Better yet...in TOS Gary Seven was on a mission to stop the USA from launching an oribital nuclear platform in the 1960's something which was impossible when that epsiode was filmed. I douibt anyone got taken out of that episode with that.