11:59

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by 2 of 10, Dec 18, 2010.

1. 2 of 10

2 of 10 Captain Captain

Used to go to concerts...Grateful Dead, Lynyrd Skynyrd...ect Now that I am a bit older, NEW YEARS EVE does not mean that much to me anymore. So, for the past 5 years, I plan on spending my New Years Eve watching Star Trek Voyager EP "11:59". I try to plan it so the times being represented are pretty much in line with the time line on the EP. Does anyone else use this EP as a kind of New Years eve EP to bring in the New Years in Trek Style...

Resistance is Futile

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I barely made it through the episode once.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a wonderful episode.

Poor Kate got to play someone else for a change.

4. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Not a bad idea. 11:59 is one of those "love it or hate it" sort of episodes, IMO. I love it, personally, so I think that might be kind of fun. :)

This seems like one of those years where I don't have huge plans for New Years anyway.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I'm not doing anything on New Years Eve, I'll watch this episode. It's one of my favorites not really because of the material, but because of the excitement it brought for the Year 2000, and unfortunately, the various overreactions like the Y2K Bug.

6. JonBaas

JonBaas Ensign Red Shirt

Fascinating idea. Maybe I'll have to give it a watch. :)

-Jon

7. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

love the episode. alternatively, you can go to youtube and download japanese fireworks all night long. or the last years of london's, but it's not quite the same as japanese stuff. here's a nice one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=druHeYaHLSU

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hated the episode. I watch Voyager to see people adventuring in space, not some fuddy-duddy bookshop owner find love. That's what the Hallmark channel is for.

When Stargate Atlantis did something different with their CSI-ish episode, at least they had a Wraith and alternate timelines in it.

9. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

This episode was pointless. But it was a good Janeway episode and it was a chance for Kate to get out of her spacesuit and be someone new. I just might watch it.

10. Guy Gardener

But for all the talk of seven winding up with someone figuratively twice her age, Shannon would up bedding a guy literally more than twice her age and from the looks of her family managed to milk him for a few buckets us useful spoof before she hit menopause... Did she marry Henry or did his kid the same age as her turn up the next day to woo her?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  11. henbane

henbane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked this episode - have never watched it on NYE though.

Oh - and to the OP - love your choice in music!!

12. Guy Gardener

Turn the subtitiles on. Push fast forward x 16.

There's no reason this has to hurt any more than it has to.

13. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

More than twice her age? I always figured Shannon was about 40 when she met Henry. He might have been ten years her senior, if that much. Lots of women have one or two kids in their 40s.

14. Guy Gardener

I figure Shannon was a little younger than Janeway because she was still quite half assed into her career despite receiving formidable education, not that that doesn't happen that you can miss your stride or just get knocked back to square one with some ease.

kevin Tigh was born in august 1944 and 11:59 aired in may 1999 which made him almost 56 when the show aired not that it wasn't filmed months earlier... I thought he looked closer to 70 from memory, but that was probably all the tweed.

Tigh is only 11 years older than Mulgrew.

Even though (freakshow) men have been making babies well into their nineties, I still think his advanced age is more of a detriment than hers to creating a large family.

15. AuntKate

I'd say Shannon was ten years younger. Chakotay was 21 years older than Seven, and that is just in real years. In experience and sophistication, he was much, much older.

16. Guy Gardener

Her maturity was created/set/levelled artificially by the Borg.

That's the only reasoning she didn't awake from drone life screaming in terror with the emotional complexity of a seven year old girl even if she was awake for the whole thing watching what they made her body do.

To wit, no one was more mature than Seven of Nine.

OOOOH!

I Know where that extra ten years on kevin Tigh is coming from.

He played John Lockes dad on Lost.

The REAL Sawyer.

Y'know I think Admiral Pressman and Captain Janeway would get along, they're both ends justify the means/damn the consequences maniacs, but Looky! Kevin played another of his actors characters Pappy elsewhere... ;)

17. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I usually go out to a party on New Years Eve but yes.
    "11:59" is what I view as the closest thing Trek has to a Christmas episode. It's one of my favorites due to that.
    Plus, it was nice of Trek to do a "human" episode about the value of family without having to over do the sci-fi for just once. It was a welcome change of pace for me.

Guy I agree.
    Henry looked old as Hell compared to Shannon.
    He reminded me of "Doc" from Fraggle Rock.:lol:

18. vas2009

vas2009 Captain Captain

:guffaw: or Sprokett *woof

I loved the ep. It sounds like a fantastic idea to me! Besides Henry did have a certain charm and the two actors had a good chemistry... I believe I herd somewhere that the actor and Kate were good friends...

19. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

I wanna say that I heard that he was godfather to both of Kate's sons . . .

20. AuntKate

I liked the episode. The theme was interesting. How much will we really know about our ancestors in four hundred years? While Shannon may not have been the over-achiever that she was in Janeway lore, she was an interesting person, someone I could know. It's nice to think that one of my progeny could be a Starship captain. And, the scene between Janeway and Chakotay when they discuss the issue is priceless. A winner.