‘Star Trek 3′: Roberto Orci Wants to Direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

....you missed the point entirely......

2. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, well... double dumbass on you. :shifty:

3. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well, you did say:

That sounded sincere.

4. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

More like hyperbole.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Geez, are you guys really bitching about the choice of a word? Talk about diverting from the actual topic.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, if the last movie was like any of the crap fan ideas they never would have left the academy, or it would have been about the Klingons in Klingon with subtitles, or it would have been a Nemesis sequel that would have crammed every Trek character ever into it, or it would have been some uber Enterprise with fanwanky tech in another galaxy captained by either Picard's nephew's cousin's grandson's tribble's college roommate's son or just some random alien character, or just some random guy who's crew is basically a checklist of ethnic groups and alien races.

Plus unlike most fan ideas Orci and Abrams have an actual plot in their stuff and actually know what freaking stories they want to tell.

Most fan idea's for stuff usually is a bunch of Trek sounding talking points rather than an actually plot or really any info on the stories they want to tell

7. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're wrong, of course. Orci maintained a constant presence on the TrekMovie comment threads and was consistently belittled and insulted during his tenure there. Holding up the proverbial straw that broke his back as 'no big deal' while ignoring the mountain of shit is more than a little disingenuous.

But I really expect nothing less, since you've got an Enterprise-sized (the new big one, not the small little one) hole in your perspective when it comes to all things Abrams-Trek.

Now, he should never have descended into the nerd ragefest that was the TrekMovie comment threads in the first place, but that's another discussion. Every writer/producer can take lessons in fan engagement from Ronald D. Moore. His weekly podcasts during BSG were a fascinating look inside the creative process without the inevitable back-and-forth banality that seems to always ensue when writer/producers engage the fans directly on twitter or in forums.

8. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I dunno, the two films had plenty of fanfic stuff. I don't regard that as a terrible thing, as I thought ENT pulled off some good stuff on its final season. It's HOW it was done in the new films I have problems with. I don't like the idea of future Spock being in these new films, but I'm open to it if done right.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Shhh... BigJake doesn't think anyone notices that. :rofl:

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

This is EXACTLY what I meant up thread. Wish I'd been clearer. Thanks.

11. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

His mistake was in thinking that he could or should mingle with fans in a threaded discussion with anonymous commenters. Worse yet, he would often defend nuTrek against various criticisms (i.e., he would not just say "hey" and offer light observations, but engage in justification) which is precisely how you get into internet arguments.

12. Mr Speck

Mr Speck Ensign Newbie

Somewhere between the past and the future
    Only one question matters here: Will the film be satisfactory?
    The answer, of course, is: We can't possibly know until we've seen it, no matter who makes it. Until that moment, it's potentially both a failure and a success. It's basically Schrödinger's cat.

That's why I won't waste one second worrying
    about it.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  13. BigJake

Your bravado outruns the strength of your argument, of course. But I'm used to that. ;)

This is the part of your comment that makes actual sense. Particularly if an incident that mild was going to be "the straw that [ostensibly] broke the camel's back," that's a "camel" that is not suited to interacting with fans on forums. And also, as I said earlier, given that the Trekmovie.com environment is so positively thick with boosters and fans of Bob Orci as to make the "straw that broke the camel's back" defense fairly unconvincing to put it very, very mildly*.

(* There's also the part, of course, where Big Man Bob implies that blowing up at the so-called "morons" is a regular occurrence for him, which if true is even dumber and less excusable. But I haven't troubled to search TrekMovie's archives to find out how true it is.)

On this, though, we quite agree.

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Orci's fine. I've got no problems with his telling the nerds to fuck off - it might shake a few of 'em awake.

The next Trek movie should be titled in honor of Shatner: "Star Trek The Final Fucking Frontier."

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather see a director with more experience take this on. Especially one who has directed action films before. Not a fan of Oric's writing anyway so I'd rather he have less involvement.

That makes about as much sense as their plots...

16. BigJake

If he really wants to seize the moral high ground from those nasssty, nasssty nerdses, he should learn from the master.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone who makes the distinction between professional writer and fanboy is likely to be wrong anyways. Fans can be anything, even writers and directors. So the idea "fan vs. pro" is a fallacy to begin with.

18. BigJake

In all fairness to the Stigmeister, that's Hartzilla2007 you're quoting there.

19. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. I don't think I'd ever claim that Orci had a good sense of plot. :lol:

20. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Post-Nemesis has to be my favorite fanboy suggestion. 12.2 million opening weekend guaranteed.

You know, Zack Snyder claims the Industry has stopped listening to fanboy opinion altogether. Orci being the frontrunner to direct anything, would, obviously, confirm that as true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.