What do you diehard TOS fans think of the new movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by treklover, May 12, 2009.

1. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I loved the Trekkies movie. It painted a pretty accurate picture of Trek's extreme fanbase.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and that's my criticism because it could easily serve to give average John and Jane Public the idea that we're all like that.

3. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

You mean we're not??? :vulcan:

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've never lived in my parent's basement. I have never worn a costume. I don't have a problem socializing or relating to women. I'm interested in a lot of other things. And so on and so on. And pretty much every Trek fan I know doesn't fit the cliched stereotype.

The only time I've actually encountered said stereotypes were the rare individuals at some conventions. They're certainly not representative of the average fan.

5. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Agreed. But the film isn't about the "average" fan. It's about, well...most of the people around here, the ones who dress up and speak Klingon thinking they're real warriors, the ones who write pages of opinions on how best to build a warp drive, people who argue about the Enterprise being built on the ground vs. built in space, the people who debate endlessly about why the bridge should or shouldn't be rotated 36 degrees off axis, the people who build models of ships that were seen onscreen for 30 seconds, the people who pimp out their cars, apartments, livingrooms, bedrooms, etc, to look like the bridge of the ship...

For those people this is an accurate portrayal..complete with personal social skills.

These people exist. Many of them post here, not unlike you and I.

I am with you on not wearing costumes and not living in mom's basement.

I only know enough Klingon to order food at a restaurant, and I had my tribble spayed.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  6. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm... on wearing costumes... does Halloween count? I was Spock not once, but twice. TWOK Spock at about age 11, with a very fair reproduction of the uniform jacket lovingly fabricated by my mother. The second for a party at age 17 or 18, TOS-Spock, with a tricorder I fashioned using the old plastic case that VHS tapes came in, with the screen made from a small square mirror and buttons made from those decorative plastic jewels with adhesive backing, slung over my shoulder with a strap. In both cases I gave myself the Spock bowl-cut :vulcan:

7. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you sure? Sounds like a combo of "Trekkie" and "Cultist" to me.

8. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Wouldn't a true devoted fan love almost all of which can be called "Star Trek"? From being on this board a while I think I can make a safe assumption that most of us are really fans of only a subset of all of the Star Trek universe. Would any of us really be trekkies or trekkers or whatever?

Personally, I don't like those labels, although at work I get hit with it sometimes. It seemed everyone in the building had to come by my office after the movie came out to ask me what I thought of it, and were shocked that I didn't froth at the mouth over it. :lol:

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow - let's make up one new word to further divide us. Pre-Coonists? Cage-ists?

10. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like most of it. I like Voyager more and more. Plotholes galore, but . . . fun. I got bored and stopped watchiong ENT. That's the only hole in my trekkiness. I am allowed one part of the franchise not to like, I think.

Me too - my normal friends and students would always ask very energetically. My standard response so as not to seem like a wet blanket/Debbie Downer: "If you like action movies, you'll love it." That appeased 'em. Not a real honest response, but sometimes you have to go along to get along.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

No, that isn't a fan (unless you define fan by the longer word fanatic), it is a damned fool, or a puppy.

Puppies can love unconditionally, but if your human brain functions, it probably discerns differences, so there is no way you can swallow all of anything, cuz it doesn't all taste good.

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh come on, that would have made it a VERY boring film. ;)

13. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that one left me cold. Which is why, in part, that I 'm so happy for the new movie! I'm enthusiastic again! Oh, and I just got a Diamond Select OS communicator at Blockbuster for $10!!!!! It's on clearance!!!
    Megageekisall.

14. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Kelso is one of those.

15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

That makes me a DieHard Coonie. Which is almost funny, since my grandmother's maiden name was Cooney.

16. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So hey: back to the SF vs sci-fi thing. Just saw Moon. Rest well. Real SF cinema is still kicking if this and Children of Men are any indication. Any Trek(kie)(ker)(ist)(ite)(inista) pissed off at the relative vacuity of Trek XI needs to see this movie soon as possible.

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I would have already gone when it hit town last Friday, but there is virtually no parking in that section of Portland.

Inadvertently was 'spoiled' on this when reading a tech piece about it a few months back, but it still looks like something right up my alley.

I WILL find a way to see this in the theater ... and as you indicated, I probably NEED to.

Oh, and I found a light vfx discussion of TREK 11 ... it is a sound clip, but it is kinda funny, because the guy asking the questions and the fx guy both find it hysterical that the Abrams ship is built on earth ... http://blog.vfxshow.com/?p=200

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

From what I've read I'm interested in seeing Moon.

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I would have agreed, but then I found out about 7 years ago that some of the best/funniest stuff -- 'pike guy' -- is faked/staged when I saw that Rich Kronfeld 4 DAYS IN ROSWELL.

TREKKIES was really good, but I think going that extra 'creative' mile really crosses the line (in a slightly less offensive way than the old news coverage bit of 'when covering a con, film the fat chick'), just like some of the sound editing with Heston at the end of the Michael Moore guncontrol thing ... you've already proven your point with facts, why tarnish that with contrivance or something that can discredit your work?

20. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Children of Men? All that was a one long chase movie. The "grand concept" was nothing more than a McGuffin to get the chase going. Very disappointing, IMHO.