What do you diehard TOS fans think of the new movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by treklover, May 12, 2009.

1. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the specific sub-genre of sci-fi Star Trek falls into. Old term from the golden age of pulps.

Mighty heroes in quasi-military settings going off across the galaxy having grand adventure where good conquers evil.

2. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

That explains much, thank you.

3. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's very little science in most sci-fi (and much SF)--lots of hardware but little real science. Even in Trek, science is something more honor'd in the breach than the observance*. Yes, the Force, the (Jedi) Knights and the (laser) swords are all imported from fantasy but it looks enough like a duck for me to call it sci-fi.

*There's no science to speak of in the works of Philip Dick (yes, I'm talking about him again; I know: :rolleyes:) but he is one of the most respected SF authors to ever put pen to paper--outside of the genre, he's just about the most respected.

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's definitely something subjective. Everybody has their own definitions, mostly equally valid.

Mostly. ;)

5. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

Trekkers are Trekkies with inferiority complexes. Try reading any thread in any forum and then try convince yourself there are none. *grin*

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

"Trekkies." I absolutely loathe that term and always have. It's such a dismissive and derogatory tag that's often used by the media and many others in just such a dismissive way.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate Trekker. It reeks of some 30 year old living in his mother's basement trying desperately to elevate his Star Trek fanatacism beyond the nerdtastic and into something respectable all the while oblivious to the fact that screaming it's "Trekker not Trekkie!" is about as tragic as it gets.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  8. Forbin

That's surprising to me, given your love for TOS over later Trek - "Trekkies" was the first term used for us. We wore it proudly, and I still do.

"Trekkers," to me, was developed by snobbish fans who thought they were better than the rest of us - in blatant disregard of the IDIC philosophy.

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup. I am a "Trekkie" since 1972. I don't care what others' perceptions of the term are.

10. Brutal Strudel

I can see "Star Trek fan" or "Trek fan" because, yeah, there is something trivializing in "Trekkie." But "Trekker"? Ugh.

11. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I used to dislike "Trekkie" and used "Trekker." Now? I don't care. If the media or non-fans wish to mock me for my love of Star Trek, fuck 'em.

Besides, most of THEM have some "love" of their own. A show, a fandom, whatever. So they can shaddup.

12. Forbin

Especially any man who atteds a football game bare-chested and painted in team colors.

13. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I am a Trekkist.

14. Brutal Strudel

I'm like a Trekaholic, only for booze.

(Joke "borrowed" from The Onion.)

15. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

I consider myself a Trekker because I love Star Trek and Hiking.

And besides that fact..... I just like it better. :p

16. Forbin

:lol:
    I like that!

17. marylizz

marylizz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ooh, that's got a cool ring to it. :techman:

I like "trekkie." I think "trekker" sounds just plain ridiculous. Besides, it all amounts to one group trying to be geekily superior, which is silly. Us geeks need to stick together, not separate by use of labels.

18. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

Well at least Trekker was a word before Star Trek came along...it does have actual meaning unlike Trekkie which means one thing and one thing only and this word was born from the movement....But this is all just subjective anyway...I've always thought Trekkie sounded ridiculous and lame...even embarrassing really. I'm not sure I agree with you about one group trying to be superior to another...you really think that's the mind-set going on? I hope not...talk about lame!

19. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Yeah.. I always hated that, "I'm not a Trekkie/I'm a Trekker" thing. What's the difference?? You both still live at your Mom's and you're still a virgin.

Except that Trekkers bitch on the internet more than Trekkies.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I also hated the movie Trekkies because I thought it pandered to cliches. And hence another reason to dislike the term. A Trek fan or a Star Trek fan is OK with me. A Trekkist doesn't sound bad.