Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nonsense. I'm assuming we're all watching because we are hoping that Juliet from Lost's leg gets infected and they have to amputate and then she dies in pain anyway... right? I mean, that's why I am sticking around another episode. Hope springs eternal.

2. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I think the most recent episode was one of the best the show has ever done(maybe the best), but it was at the same time very frustrating. It had a really fast paced first act, and then went really dark in the second act. Darker than the show has really ever gone(save for a moment here and there), and it really worked for me. Both the A and B storylines were taking the characters into really interesting places.

But then they had to ruin what was actually a really good episode by returning to the status quo with Miles/Charlie/Neville, and adding some silly mythology stuff with Aaron and Grace at the end.

It was a still a vast improvement over the last couple weeks though.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It would help if they started to mention dates, or show them on the screen at teh beginning of the episode.

It is really getting confusing how much time has passed between episodes.

They started with a Lost style narrative where each episode happened almost directly after the last.

Now it feels like I am missing weeks of story in between.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I'm just glad that 15 episodes into the season we're finally getting an answer to the question of why everyone is keeping Aaron around. He's clearly important and doesn't know it.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Just think how fucked mom would be if she'd gotten the book and Aaron hadn't been around.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

yes, but then you keep handwaving it away ;)

Theoretical science, not stuff we've long since established and mastered. Even when they DO something silly, it's not the thing that set up the entire premise of the series. And even then, it's magical future tech. Dive into a black hole? No problem, just invert the blinkie thing into the whoosiwhatsit, emit the beam out the deflector, and problem solved. Stupid, but can't really point out the flaw in the magical device.

Try it this way: explain the series in a sentence or two, paint the best picture you can. Use the movie narrator voice. "In a world where people fly between the stars in spaceships, they meet and interact with new worlds, etc". Doesn't Revolution kinda have to sound like "In a world where the power went out 15 years ago, a few people fight to put it back together" or something? Nanites are right there in the blurb. Whatever Geordi did with the deflector dish last week isn't.

Usually true. Still watching this show for some reason, after all. Just would prefer it if the premise of the show wasn't blantantly stupid is all ;)

MAGIC nanites would have been fine. Don't even describe them, just were supposed to do something and got out of control. By explaining it the way they did, it makes me shrug and disregard them versus accepting them as 'the explanation'. THIS is all I'm trying to say, and you keep missing it. Magic would have been fine, obviously stupid science is less fine. All you need to say is that they emit a continuous EMP field, and you get the exact same result, but sounds less retarded and impossible. Will it stand up to hard science? Doubt it, but it doesn't immediately fail basic math.

We know how batteries work, and we get electricity. If they're IN you, and you run on electricity, you're dead. If they absorbed electricity, what do they DO with it? And since no one is maintaining a power plant that doesn't appear to generate power (it gets absorbed), why are they still active now, 15 years after the last power source went dry? Oh, and cure cancer plus whatever Danny had...

Yes there are some discontunities within the nanite supposition [e.g. lightening] but no more than IMO the multiple discontunities within Trek itself and its faux science.

Often. Which is stupid, but it's usually because they went too far with a problem because of shitty writing. Basically the transporter could fix anything they wanted, but they couldn't keep it like that because then there's no drama. Reset buttons suck, but if they went too far, can't blame them for ignoring it later.

You're kidding, right? You've been here like a decade, have you forgotten that there are forums up at the top of this board? :lol:

One OR the other would make perfect sense by itself. Seems unlikely that the ones they designed as a weapon came loaded with the ability to cure cancer, but hey... Cancer magic really wasn't the part that's objectionable (that's really just 'dumb magic technobabble like you said). It's the energy absorbing part where it falls apart, and unfortunately, that's the whole basis of how they got to where they are.

they don't block, they absorb (somehow). Postive they can someday be programed for surgery. Unlikely that you'll want to use the weaponized ones, though. And sure as hell don't swallow the 'electrical absorbing' ones, as you'll be dead as soon as they hit your tongue. 'Cause that's how your body works.

Anyway, can't think of another way to repeat this, so kinda done with this part of the argument. Hand-wave away whatever issues you like, doesn't make it less stupid. And when it's the impetus for the entire show, makes it a TAD sillier than just technobabble to fix the fake problem of the week. I'd prefer 'magic' to an explanation that's obviously impossible. In shows set in the future, you get a little leeway, in shows trying to be somewhat realistic, set in the present (or recent past), harder to play fast and loose with the existing technology and our understanding of it. It mainly works because people don't understand how the CURRENT tech works, so it's all magic. Pour the magic go juice in the car, and it just works. When you know the details, people explaining it obviously wrongly are somewhat more annoying ;)

7. tighr

I sure hope they don't try to explain Aaron's google-fu algorithm. They should just say "It's an advanced AI that can make Google work better" and be done with it. The second they try to explain the algorithm, it'll ruin it.

Then we'll have this argument all over again.

8. Lyon_Wonder

Lyon_Wonder Captain Captain

I wonder if there's an AI in the Tower that's somehow connected to the nanites and that Season 2 is going to be a more like Terminator - humans vs machines?

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Finally got around to watching this one. I noticed a lot of continuity errors in this episode--pretty sloppy stuff.

And why did she just mention NOW that Aaron was in the notebook?

The characters on this show just seem to get dumber, episode by episode. Hubby is determined to watch this all the way to end but for me, the bloom is definitely off the rose.

10. tighr

Care to elaborate? I didn't see continuity errors, just things not previously mentioned.

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I swear I must be the only person watching this show who actually likes Charlie. And the only one that doesn't spend most of the time bitching about it. Worse than the Castle thread in here. :p

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Is Charlie so bad she's fucking up Castle too? A show she's not even on?

13. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Poorly worded, I meant bitching about the show.

Seriously though I don't get the hate for her.

14. Lyon_Wonder

Lyon_Wonder Captain Captain

IMO, I'm also convinced the show has given up on the 12-pendat limitation that Rachel mentioned in "Soul Train" and Monroe can have as many pendants as the plot calls for.

The pendants are becoming to Revolution what photon torpedoes and shuttlecraft were to ST: Voyager.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There were 12 pendants 16 years ago.

The nanites operate wirelessly. The pendant is bluetooth. The code on the pendant is resistant to the nanites and controls nanites. Depending on the size of the flash drives in the pendant, you can turn any bluetooth device into a pendant if you can get the anti-nanite, nanite controlling code onto it.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

tricky to run any code, of any variety, when you have quadrillions of invisible bugs absorbing all electricity, though. If you can get anything to boot up and run your program, good for you ;)

If they were always on, and turned on before the blackout, sure, makes sense (if difficult to keep powered that long, but maybe they also absorb enough to keep going). Since they aren't always running (we'd see electricity working around them all the time), it would be 'tricky' to go from off to on there. Maybe there's some sort of extreme low-powered 'sleep mode' that keeps them powered on but mostly dormant?

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, because the pendant is always telling the nanites to power the pendant and never to deplete it.

The only way to deplete a pendant is to put it some place where there are no nanites to power it, so it's charge can run out and it's stops broadcasting it's "empower me" request so that it remains inert when it comes back into contact with nanites again.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

That's why i mentioned the low-power Sleep mode. It has to be always doing SOMETHING, otherwise the nanites would suck the power from it and game over. It's clearly not always emitting the bubble that shuts off the nanites, as you'd have noticed that they always had electricity near them, but it can't be completely off, because it's just a USB drive plugged into something. No power = USB doesn't work. It's got computing power in there somewhere. Which is kinda what I said, before you said "no" and then restated it ;)

I don't think there IS an area with no nanites at this point. If there's quadrillions of them, to the point where they're floating in the air being breathed in, they're in everything. After 15 years to spread and presumably replicate, no avoiding them. World-wide, as you'd get them into the water and jetstream, and they'd travel the world in short order.

But that'st he kind of technobabble I don't mind arguing, as you can reason your way around it one way or the other. You can talk about how they 'should' work together and play with it. It's what they stated that they DO in the first place that's dumb. How to disable them is just a magic spell to negate the other magic, whatever.

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Like the scene where the baddies come on the boat. From their POV, the entire right side is clear and it's totally open--nothing big enough to hide in or under. Charlie comes out of the wheelhouse and idiot-son just "appears" on the right, out of nowhere. The little sex scene with Nora at the end: she's standing there in a sexy black bra and panties, with a jacket, and when she takes the jacket off, the bra is suddenly gone, and her hair, which was down to her shoulders, is now suddenly long and thick enough to entirely cover her boobs.

20. tighr

Those aren't continuity errors to me. The first could be considered an editing "goof", and the second was clear to me an attempt at getting away with showing some skin on a network broadcast. Also, it's kind of dark, so you can't really tell if she's wearing a bra.

Continuity errors would be something like Danny appearing in this episode or Charlie knowing about baseball when the pilot made it clear she didn't.