Marvel Animation’s X-Men ‘97 Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lordcommanderdarkwolf, Feb 15, 2024.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Because non-mutant superheroes' powers won't be passed on to their descendants. Mutants aren't feared because of their powers per se, but because they're perceived as a new, rival species whose powers will let them outcompete and replace humans like we did with the Neanderthals.

Granted, some heroes' powers do get passed on -- Reed and Sue Richards had a son who's a powerful mutant, and Spider-Man passed his powers on to his daughter Mayday in the MC-2 continuity -- but bigotry isn't based on facts and reason, just belief and perception.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  2. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right, the alien based powers are also genetic, but are basically a one-off and will get diluted as the generation pass down. You would expect a similar response to mutants if an entire Alien refugee civilization attempted to move to earth. Which is exactly what Asgard did in the MCU, but as they are happy to stay in their little village, no one on Earth feels threatened yet.

Last edited: May 9, 2024
    Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  3. Christopher

Also, of course, a part of it is that people in power often manipulate people by stirring up hatred against some group of outsiders. It's hard to define regular superpowered beings as a single group because their natures and origins are so different. But since mutants share the X-gene and are classed as a different subspecies, it's easier for propagandists to define them as a "race" in their rhetoric and stir up hate and fear against them.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the vehicles in the garage is a Wolverine motorcycle toy from 1991 lmao

There also appears to be a Motorcycle based off one Wolverine drove in X-Men Evolution.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually this was Part II, last week was Part I.
    What about in the Renew Your Vows universe? I think I've seen artwork from it showing Peter, MJ, and their daughter all in Spider-Person costumes.

6. Tuskin38

He said in a previous tweet that they won't use time travel to fix anything.

So it could be unrelated or something.

7. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

IIRC, Vows!MJ doesn't have powers natively but rather her suit replicates the powers of those around her, which is typically her husband and daughters.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Josh Kelton

Josh Kelton Commander Red Shirt

Or maybe not, given how episode 10 ends.

Nightowl1701 likes this.
  10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

11. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

So, fun fact, it looks like someone used the hangar deck from the Battlestar Galactica remake as reference for the Asteroid M interiors. The general shape was echoed in the "throne room," but during the scene where they're all looking out the window at about 17 minutes in, there are a lot of specific details that are included in the shape of the arches and the long horizontal tiles over them. Just like a real comic book! ;)

Also, because it only just occurred to me to check, there is a mid-credits scene after the "roster," which seems to confirm a common theory about how you-know-who might end up you-know-what.

Last edited: May 15, 2024 at 3:01 PM
  12. Tuskin38

Gates McFadden voiced Mother Askani

a lot of marvel character cameos in this episode. Including an uncostumed Peter with MJ and Eddie Brock(I think)

Firebird, Praetor and Nightowl1701 like this.
  13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Enjoyed that. They really went all out epic with the last 3 episodes and much of the series. I'm fine with them dialing that back in for next season.

14. Christopher

This was pretty potent. Lots of action, but it kept things focused on character and came down to the heroes choosing compassion and reaching out to their foes, which is great.

I have my quibbles with the sense of scale. Okay, so Asteroid M was apparently hovering in space, yet it was simultaneously close enough to New York City to be visible to the naked eye, and close enough to the Moon for Rogue to knock Bastion clear to the Blue Area. There's no way that would work. Also, apparently Jubilee can breathe and talk in space. Even if they were in the upper atmosphere by that point, the air would've been too thin for that.

They're using the character designs for Peter and MJ from the '94 series that crossed over with X-Men, confirming they're still considered the same universe, although there are some continuity glitches. However, given the 1997 setting,
    this would have to be the clone of MJ created by Miles Warren, with the real MJ still lost somewhere in the multiverse. Eddie Brock definitely shouldn't be present at that time, unless there was some untold story where he was rescued from the same fate.

Praetor likes this.
  15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

A great ending to a great season.

As many X-Men comics as I've read I'm not actually very familiar with Bastion, so I didn't expect his cyber form, or how strong it would be. I also expected a tease for Onslaught, since I know that Wolverine losing his metal skeleton is related to that, but maybe they'll get to it in the next season. The time travel stuff is interesting, in the comics Scott Summers and Jean Grey spent about 12 years raising Nathan/Cable in the future under aliases (and it was only their minds time traveling or something, it was really weird), so their set up for next season seems like a bit of a reference to that. I wonder if the others running into a young Apocalypse will end up helping lead him on his path, kind of a paradox where because of them he is a problem for the world in the present. The credit scene at the end kind of confirmed what I expected from the beginning, killing off Gambit seemed like a pretty obvious set up for him becoming Apocalypse's Horseman of Death.

It was a small thing, but all the Marvel cameos were great, I like how even Iron Man looked like the 90s animated version. Its cool to see that the world is bigger then just the X-Men. Then we see a bunch of mutants on Forge's chart which was cool, including Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver (said to be "Off World"), and Shadowcat, who are all interesting to see being confirmed as existing in this universe.

The wait for Season 2 is going to be rough, I think that this show is probably the best X-Men adaptation ever. Hopefully the MCU people are paying at least a bit of attention, not that they should outright copy the show but a lot of the style and spirit of the show really shows why the X-Men are awesome.

16. Tuskin38

I was wrong, it was Flash Thompson behind them, not Eddie Brock.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

According to Demayo

https://twitter.com/BeauDemayo/status/1790648711456182623

Peter found MJ

Praetor likes this.
  18. Christopher

Hmm... Well, Spidey:TAS ran only 4 months longer than X:TAS, but the last season of X:TAS was parceled out so gradually over 1996-7 that it feels like there should be a larger chronological gap between their endings. On the other hand, S:TAS's last season had only a few multi-part storylines, the last two of which were in alternate realities, so it probably took a lot less time in-story than it did in real life. So I guess it's possible that we could be caught up by now.

And as I just posted in respsonse to DeMayo's tweet, I really hope the next series Marvel Animation does is a Spider-Man '98 show where we get to see MJ's rescue.

Praetor likes this.
  19. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Sign me up for "Spider-man '98."

Also, that's Flash Thompson not Eddie Brock. He's wearing the ESU jacket and everything.

20. Tuskin38

I’m not versed in pre-MCU Dr. Strange, so correct me if this was something from the comics or other pre-MCU lore but his hand movements and the magic FX in his short cameo were the same or at least very similar as the MCU