Marvel Animation’s X-Men ‘97 Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lordcommanderdarkwolf, Feb 15, 2024.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dunno, but Mystique got name-checked as Nightcrawler's mother. That suggests she could show up soon.

My general reaction: This series is knocking it out of the park.

saddestmoon and Shamrock Holmes like this.
  2. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

I thought this one was quite good. More great Nightcrawler beats, including a nice action sequence.

And the Summers family roadtrip was excellent.

So the show's version of Bastion was actually born. That's new, but works. Apparently you can see his parents in one of the time travel episode's of the OG show (S4's "One Man's Worth), I saw screencaps posted on Reddit. That's a great nod.

Fun stuff all around.

3. Josh Kelton

Josh Kelton Commander Red Shirt

Magneto: It saddens me that none of you, nor Xavier himself, thought to use his considerable finances to install any sort of fire suppression system in the mansion.

4. YLu

YLu Captain Captain

In the comics, he keeps the momentum but can change the trajectory. He's saved himself from the momentum of plummets by teleporting to reverse his direction, causing him to fall upwards, allowing gravity to sap his momentum.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That seems like a contradiction in terms, because momentum is directional. If momentum is conserved, then by definition, your direction of motion is also conserved (unless it's angular momentum, but then it's the direction of the axis that's conserved, hence the gyroscope effect). Well, unless it's altered by a gravitational field, following the curved geodesic it creates, like a body in orbit. I guess if Kurt's teleports are through some kind of spacetime wormhole, as they'd pretty much have to be, then I guess that could alter his direction without altering his momentum. But it seems like a departure from what the original creators had in mind when they established his conservation of momentum.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Great episode. This series slowly went from continuation of the 90s animation to something way deeper. Got to hand it to all involved.

I'm a bit confused as to Val Cooper's allegiance though. Why is she with bastion after he almost wiped her out?

Surely they had a mutant on the grounds that could do it.

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

When Cable is talking about the future, the two Mutants working on the rocks on the conveyor belt, were first seen in the original series' version of 'Days of Future Past'

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn that was another great episode.
    The whole cyborg Sentinel attack was awesome. I was surprised how gory Wolverine and Nightcrawler's fight with them, between that and the occaisonal bits of swearing, they have definitely moved this away from the kids' that the original was.
    Is this a different backstory for Bastion than he had in comics? After last week's episode I read a "who is Bastion?" article on one of the websites I go to, and I thought the backstory it laid out was different.
    Magneto's attack was a shock. and I think we can safely say his redemption is over at this point.

9. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Yes, a fair bit.
    He was never born human in the comics. Rather, he was a Nimrod unit (possibly THE Nimrod unit, I'm not clear if there was ever more than one) who came back to the present from his future and ended up merging with the control AI of a Master Mold. Then the resultant uber-Sentinel, which nearly defeated the X-Men, was thrown through the Siege Perilous, which is basically a magical gateway that transforms people. When it spat him out he was now the human/cyborg Bastion.

Functionally the cartoon gets to the same place in a much less convoluted manner, so I'm ok with it.

CaptChris42 and EyalM like this.
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they do seem to have streamlined things a bit.

11. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

She's been with Bastion from the beginning, I gather. Likely hedging her bets in case she was wrong about the mutants in the end. But she tells Magneto she didn't realize how far Bastion would go. One suspects that nearly dying herself may play a role in her feelings on that subject now.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  12. Christopher

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to hear Wolverine say "What the heck" even with the greater license.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was talking more about the fact that I think we've gotten several "hell"s and at least one "damn".

14. Christopher

Yes, that's what I mean. Given that they've used those words in other episodes, I was surprised that Wolverine said "heck" instead of "hell" here.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I misread that, I thought you were saying heck was him swearing.

16. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just saw the first ep in its entirety: it’s so good, I can’t quite believe they did this!

Reminds me of Saturday mornings as a teenager, getting amped when the theme music / intro sequence came on!

17. Christopher

Was the original show ever on Saturday mornings? It was usually a weekday afternoon show, which is why it had so many episodes.

18. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, here in New Zealand, it was on Channel 2, Saturday morning - so can only speak from my own regional context.

But sure, YMMV wherever in the world you were, seeing it on weekdays - which would have been a fun watch after school.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize the "Not!" from 97 Cyclop was actually a homage to the original series saying it too

saddestmoon and CorporalCaptain like this.
  20. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I remember it airing on Saturday mornings as part of FOX cartoon block. It was usually paired with Spider-Man. I also remember Batman: The Animated Series airing new episodes on Saturday and repeats during the week.

Shamrock Holmes and saddestmoon like this.