Female Command Officers & the Uniform Code

Discussion in 'Star Trek - Original Series' started by Smellincoffee, Sep 11, 2010.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Come to think of it, so am I.

2. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps she was the Head Yomen, we just never met the character by name on screen.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. Neutral Zone

Neutral Zone Captain Captain

True, but they did have a #1, when Pike was Captain the Cage/Menagerie. Would that not have warranted a different female uniform?

4. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    That sounds classy and beautiful at the same time. Someone in the Fan Art section needs to get cracking on that, maybe Warped 9?

5. Starscape

Starscape Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A while ago, in an attempted to flesh out the TOS uniforms, I came up with a couple of extra female variants:

[​IMG]

The female pants/shirt combo shown in TOS looks suspiciously like a mini-dress tucked into trousers to me. ;)

6. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Those are good...the black skirt looks nice with the various tops.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk The Real Me Premium Member

Areel Shaw wears a slightly longer version of the uniform in "Court Martial". It's supposed to be the "dress uniform", but take away the gold trim on the collar and I'm sure it would work for a standard uniform for a Command officer.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well done. :techman:

9. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:vulcan:
    I think it did matter in the 80s I don't remember the men being in skirts after TNGs pilot Encounter at Farpoint.

10. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ithink they were seen a few times that season, but the female skant version also seemed to disappear after season 1, also.

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Same here. I didn't find her attractive, but she has nice legs and was fond of showing them with pretty minimal miniskirts every time the weather allowed. Which in Italy is quite often. Nobody ever had a problem with that.

12. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Starscape does it again with another good job on the graphics front.

There's another possibility that's been overlooked. In TNG, Dr. Pulaski wore a "skant", combining a skirt-like top with trousers. Could someone try something like that for the TOS era?

13. Starscape

Starscape Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks, everyone! :D

Well, okaaayyyy... since it's a quick job.

[​IMG]

It's just the standard mini-dress on top of pants. It looks a little too improvised, I think, but not bad. :)

14. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Even though they're still mini-skirts, that bottom row of blouse/skirt uniforms looks so much classier than the ones we saw on the series. Just a tiny change like that would have gone a long way towards making the aesthetic of the show age a little better.

15. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral Admiral

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Well, the Romulan Commander wore a skirt in The Enteprise Incident, and her authority was unquestioned by her crew it seems. However, I kind of prefer a command-grade officer wear pants. Easier to kick ass, if necessary!

16. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer Moderator

Simply because I enjoy spending my time on oddball little tasks like this, here are all the Enterprise crew women we saw wearing pants instead of the regular mini-skirt:

1. Number One from "The Cage:"
    [​IMG]

2. Yeoman Colt from "The Cage:"
    [​IMG]

3. Some unnamed bridge crew woman from "The Cage:"
    [​IMG]

4. Some other unnamed bridge crew woman way in the background from "The Cage:"
    [​IMG]

5. Dr. Dehner from "Where No Man Has Gone Before:"
    [​IMG]

6. Yeoman Smith from "Where No Man Has Gone Before:"
    [​IMG]

7. Some unnamed crew woman in the corridor from "Where No Man Has Gone Before:"
    [​IMG]

8. Some unnamed crew woman that Gary Mitchell passes for a few frames in the unaired pilot version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before:"
    [​IMG]

9. Yeoman Janice Rand in a post-"Where No Man Has Gone Before" but pre-"The Corbomite Maneuver" publicty shoot:
    [​IMG]

10. Some unnamed crew woman in the corridor in "The Man Trap:"
    [​IMG]

11. Some unnamed woman in a later scene in "The Man Trap"--although it looks to be the same woman:
    [​IMG]

12. Some other unnamed woman in the corridor in "The Man Trap:"
    [​IMG]

13. Some unnamed crew woman in the Recreation Room in "Charlie X:"
    [​IMG]

14. Some unnamed crew woman that Charlie Evans zaps and ages in "Charlie X:"
    [​IMG]

15. The same unnamed woman--except now she has aged. (I didn't know if I should count her again.)
    [​IMG]

16. And here is the last one: an unnamed crew woman in the Briefing Room in the final episode of the First Season: "Operation--Annihilate!:"
    [​IMG]

17. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I've wondered for some time about this woman. Instead of there being one color for command, gold. Most of the "command" officers wear sand color in WNMHGB. While four people (I think four) wear gold/green, Kirk, Spock, yeoman Smith and this woman. Makes me think that not only is she an officers, she one of the Enterprise's top level officer. She has the same number of cuff stripes as Spock.

18. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Green/gold has always been command, blue has always been sciences, sand was services. The problem was the sand tunics and the green/gold tunics tended to look alike on the tv sets of the time, especially if the color isn't set right (which was often), so we got the red tunics.

Also, doesn't it look like they only had one TOS female tunic/pants combo and they just kept passing it from one extra to another?

A point about Commander Harris on "Starship Exeter": She wears the skirt while on board ship, but for landing party duty, she wears pants.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  19. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Greg, thanks for collating those shots. I didn't realize the slacks were used on female actors so far into the season. I was especially shocked at "Operation." I never noticed her before.

Doug

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

What this establishes is that women did have an alternative. I suggest that the TOS era tunic/pant outfit could have used some tweaking because it doesn't look quite right as is, certainly not as good as THe Cage and WNMHGB versions. It's also easy to see why the skirt design was more prominent because it was more complimentary to the fetching women of TOS.