Female Command Officers & the Uniform Code

Discussion in 'Star Trek - Original Series' started by Smellincoffee, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I know. But I figured that if they're going to parallel Earth's Cold War naval organizations in so many ways, why not have warrant officers as well? It would go a little ways toward explaining the liberal use of the word "chief" throughout the franchise.

I think it would also be an interesting exercise to come up with a Starlfeet-style sleeve marking for warrant officers anyway...

2. Wingsley

You wouldn't happen to be referring to this shot from "Balance of Terror", would you? :lol:

3. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

There are enlisted women, Rand and the other yeomen most prominently, most specifically ID'd with Yeoman 3rd Class Lawton in "Charlie X." Angela in "Balance of Terror" is often cited as enlisted as well, but I don't think that's screen canon.

Enlisted personnel apparently wear the standard uniform with no grade insignia, the same as ensigns. Not very satisfactory, but there it is.

An old fan publication from the '80s, Shane Johnson's "Uniform Recognition Manual," used straight-edged silver braid, narrower than the wavy officer braid, for warrants. Two stripes for CWO and one for WO, IIRC.

Well, by the mid-1960's the Air Force had already abandoned creating new warrant officers, and the Navy was in the process of phasing them out as well, to be replaced with Limited Duty commissioned officers. This never came to pass, of course, but maybe WOs were thought of more as a thing of the past than the future at the time. More likely they were just not considered at all.

Most nations today do without the in-between class of warrant officers that the US uses, so I don't think it implausible that Starfleet would not use them, either.

"Chief" in the US Navy refers to a chief petty officer, not a warrant officer.

Or even more so, enlisted insignia. A FASA game manual from the '80s had some upper-sleeve enlisted insignia, combining the "arrowhead" and chevrons. It would be nice to have something like that "remastered!"

--Justin

4. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TMP definitely had shoulder insignia for petty officers and chief petty officers (see Rand left) but it isn't clear how they differentiate crewmen from ensigns with uniforms that have no braids on their sleeves and no shoulder insignia.

5. J.T.B.

Right, didn't Chief DiFalco have a uniform with no shoulder tabs or other grade insignia? But supposedly in TMP the grade of LTJG had been temporarily abolished, so ensigns used one broken braid. So in that case it would be a question of differentiating from CPOs, POs and non-rated.

--Justin

6. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't the unedentified "alien" on the bridge in TMP sport LTJG broken stripes?

7. Wingsley

^ Or, there's another possibilty: Chief DiFalco may have been Warrant Chief DiFalco.

8. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think he has traditionally been portrayed as an ensign - I can't remember if Uhura refers to him as such when she assesses the odds of them returning alive from the mission. I always thought Lt jg only came in officially with TNG, although I personally always assumed that Ilia was a Lt jg.

I think the braids work fine in conjunction with the epaulets but some uniforms have only one or the other and some have neither (which would be fine for crewmen but even crewmen have rates don't they?) I suppose the costumes were a bit rushed.

9. J.T.B.

Yes, but in TMP that is supposed to represent ensign, and there are no JG's, according to "The Making of Star Trek the Motion Picture." I don't find a compelling reason to temporarily abadon an established rank myself, but two officers with that insignia were called "ensign" in the movie.

Maybe, but CPO is more of a known quantity in Trek than CWO. Either way, she's some kind of a other-than-commissioned officer without specific insignia.

--Justin

10. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Take a closer look at Joe Tormolen's cuffs in "The Naked Time". He's got the hash marks of a Lieutenant (j.g.).

11. Gary7

Gary7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
    I remember Yeoman Rand saying this, to Captain Kirk: "I used to try to get you to look at my legs. Look at my legs!"
    ;)

Those skirt uniforms for the women in TOS were seriously short as they were, so I can't imagine any of the actresses needing to hike them up. Heck, they needed a bikini bottom attached to prevent accidental exposure of their unmentionables. :mallory:

12. Lethe

Lethe Lieutenant Red Shirt

What about the uniform worn by Lt. Areel Shaw in Court Martial? Its longer than a miniskirt....

[​IMG]

13. Captain Robert April

That was the female dress uniform. Note the gold trim on the collar.

14. Timo

Timo Admiral Admiral

One wonders if these female skirt variants of the uniform shouldn't have been accompanied by a male tank top in the "Trek reality". If the idea was to show attractive body parts if the wearer so opted, surely the men would have wanted to expose their biceps without having to rip their uniform sleeves?

Belly button / ab exposure would be a further step, but probably should be reserved for the Horribly Evil Mirror Universe. Yet bare biceps should be innocent enough by 1960s/2260s standards, in the same category with legs, right?

Timo Saloniemi

15. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Uhura wears one when she's mending her console in Who Mourns for Adonis.

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/2x02/WhoMournsForAdonais0282.jpg

16. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^

She looks cute there...;)

17. Captain Robert April

How she got that big ol' head of hair in that opening is the big mystery.

Would've been a hoot if they had her leave the wig on her chair and she was under there doing the work with her natural hair on display.

18. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

Weird :wtf: I had expected it to be red. Oh well, she's performing surgery on her 'baby', I guess...

19. Captain Robert April

They probably didn't have a red one in her size.

20. Wingsley