EVA-Trek, an Evangelion / Star Trek crossover

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Firebird, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    EDIT, 2023.02.10: EVA-Trek is now over at Archive of Our Own to hopefully make the series easier to access and read! All chapters have been posted over there. https://archiveofourown.org/series/3301210

What if the characters of Evangelion inhabited the world of Star Trek? And not only that, what if it was written like a Star Trek series?

Those two basic ideas are the driving force behind this script-fic.

If you've been following along in my thread over in the fanart forum (https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/firebirds-sketch-of-the-week-series.307901/), nearly one year ago, I had the sudden idea to do a drawing that combined two of my favorite franchises, Star Trek and Evangelion. At the time, I thought it would be a one-and-done idea, but as it turned out, I was incredibly wrong. Over the next few months, I started doing more and more drawings that put Eva's characters into Trek's 24th Century. This ultimately drove me to start brainstorming ideas about how I could fully integrate them into a story. This would be the first time I've ever attempted writing fanfic, after reading reams and reams of Eva fics and being inspired by Genocide, Advice and Trust, and Yui's Words, in particular.

By last fall, I started developing this crossover as a full-fledged series. As I'm a bit of a screenwriting nerd and an amateur screenwriter, I decided to test my skills to see if I could make this work as a script. By the start of this year, I'd completed the first draft pilot episode script and a complete writer's guide/bible, codifying my ideas into one source. In the spring, I worked on developing the story over the arc of the series, while beginning to outline and write the first few episodes.

Below is the final revised PDF "shooting script" of EVA-Trek's pilot episode, "New Way Home." As I've said, I'm taking the screenwriting format seriously, so I've tried to format and write this as close to how the writers on The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine did their scripts in the 90's.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yhs3zS1Em_dylPfwZ9vn3VUA4D4EYc38/view

I hope everyone enjoys the first "episode." The goal will be to release a new script each month of the 26-episode "season," ending with a two-hour finale.

Also, since I've got a huge backlog of concept art and "scenes" from assorted episodes I've drawn over the last year, I'll be posting some along with each script. Here's the batch for the pilot:

Initial concept sketch, June 2021:
    [​IMG]

Conceptual design - Evangelion-class entry plug:
    [​IMG]

USS Nerv - dedication plaque:
    [​IMG]

Scene 128 - INT. SICKBAY:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  2. Firebird

And here's episode 2 of EVA-Trek, "Enough Space."

Stardate 48344.2: In the aftermath of the first angel's attack, Shinji recovers and starts to get settled in onboard the USS Nerv. Meanwhile, Misato has to deal with an old acquaintance in the final preparations for the Nerv's launch from Earth.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QV-aQ3KhfSygTZ0fRXtXPx0dwsI8inJ-/view

Episode Artwork:

Sc. 80 - Close Shot - Fuyutsuki
    [​IMG]

Cast Photo - Lt. Commander Misato Katsuragi
    [​IMG]

Cast Photo - Captain Gendo Ikari
    [​IMG]

Concept Art - Attempting to draw the Wunder bridge bunnies in Sadamoto's 90's art style
    [​IMG]
    [\spoiler]

Timofnine likes this.
  3. Firebird

Gonna try out something new. In the finest tradition of both Evangelion and TNG, here is the 30-second preview for the next EVA-Trek episode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EVA-TREK

"Episode 103 Preview"​

FADE IN:

A WHITE SCREEN

With a TITLE: "Next Episode." Music OVER.

MISATO (V.O.)​
    Next time, on EVA-Trek...

CUT TO:​

EXT. ORBIT - NERV (OPTICAL)

She sweeps in toward a beautiful blue-green world.

MISATO (V.O.)​
    The Nerv is rerouted for a cargo drop-
    off at a Federation colony...​

INT. CORRIDOR

Misato confronts Mari.

MISATO (V.O.)​
    However, tensions are mounting between
    Misato and Dr. Amagi, catching the interest
    of Counselor Makinami.

MISATO​
    (to Mari)​
    You will not interfere, and consider that an
    order!​
    [​IMG]

CLOSE-UP - HITOMI

She sighs, massages her temples.

MED. SHOT

Sakura yells at an irritated Touji while Shinji, Rei, Hikari, Kensuke, and Mana look on.

MISATO (V.O.)​
    Meanwhile, things aren't much better for
    Shinji and his class.

SAKURA​
    (to Touji)​
    You beat up Shinji?!​

EXT. ORBIT (OPTICAL)

Shamshel approaches.

MISATO (V.O.)​
    Unfortunately for everyone, another angel
    appears.​

EXT. TAU CETI IV (OPTICAL)

The Hakone fights off Shamshel as the two, locked together in struggle, enter a rapid barrel roll.

MISATO (V.O.)​
    Will Shinji be able to get it together in time
    to save the day?​
    [​IMG]

INT. BRIDGE

Misato looks on in concern as we can hear Shinji SCREAMING on comms.

MISATO (V.O.)​
    Find out next time on EVA-Trek, episode 3...​
    [​IMG]

WHITE SCREEN

With the TITLE: "Fraternity"

MISATO (V.O.)​
    "Fraternity." Stay tuned for no guarantee of
    fan-service!​

FADE OUT.​
    [​IMG]

4. Firebird

ANNOUNCER (V.O.): "The following program is brought to you in living color on NBC..."

[​IMG]

ANNOUNCER (V.O.): "It's EVA-Trek! Episode 3, "Fraternity."

Stardate 48399.4: Starfleet reroutes Nerv for a cargo drop at a Federation colony when an angel attacks, putting strain on Shinji and the rest of the crew.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ip-fTSUpoiJChibe9sUSl0fQl7pYKoH/view

The usual artwork is in the episode preview post above.

Next time on EVA-Trek: "Come Alive"

Robert Bruce Scott likes this.
  5. Firebird

And now, it's episode four of EVA-Trek, "Come Alive."

Stardate 48422.1: Nerv encounters a new angel on its journey, whose power threatens to overwhelm the ship and its crew.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dmUxdJ79vbjqqAs7eefX6kUNVFqaRE8I/view

Episode Artwork:

Scene 4 - EXT. SPACE - NERV (OPTICAL)
    [​IMG]

Scene 36 - INT. OBSERVATION LOUNGE (OPTICAL)
    [​IMG]

Cast Photo: Ensign Rei Ayanami
    [​IMG]

Cast Photo: Lt. Commander Ryoji Kaji and Lt. Commander Misato Katsuragi
    [​IMG]

6. Firebird

Here's this month's installment of EVA-Trek, "Ain't it the Life."

Stardate 48497.2: While the crew is repairing damages to Nerv after the last angel attack, Shinji reconnects with someone from his past while Kaji is on a mission of his own.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aQWJZsv169UmUu_wfDk0Yso_lVggOUTk/view

Next time on EVA-Trek: "The One"

Episode Artwork:

Sc. 6 - INT. HYUGA'S QUARTERS
    [​IMG]

Cast Photo - Lt. Maya Ibuki
    [​IMG]

Cast Photo - Ensign Rei Ayanami
    [​IMG]

7. Firebird

It's not TV, it's not HBO, it's this moth's installment of EVA-Trek, "The One."

Stardate 48566.4: Shinji and the rest of Nerv are in for an interesting time as Lt. J.G. Asuka L. Soryu arrives onboard.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TzvtpGdoHZFl_yjhROtD4-lugUFixk7v/view

Special bonus content with this month's script is a technical memo covering the how the addition of the Eva Cages to Nerv altered the typical internal arrangement of a Galaxy-class starship.

Next time on EVA-Trek: "Walking After You"

Episode artwork:

Scene 70: INT. EVA CAGES
    [​IMG]

Scene 88: INT. HOLODECK
    [​IMG]

Cast Photo: Lt. J.G. Asuka Langley-Soryu
    [​IMG]

Special Feature: A bonus one-shot comic I drew last fall that inspired the teaser for this episode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Firebird

The final EVA-Trek episode of the year is ready to go, so please enjoy "Walking After You."

Stardate 48587.7: After a disastrous first attempt to fight an angel that nearly destroyed a major city on Klaestron IV, Shinji and Asuka are forced to do special training to make them a better team.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R55Plm0LU9UKBAXdPAL2ugemNeJWw4oc/view

Next time on EVA-Trek: "My Hero"

Episode artwork:

Sc. 7 - INT. BRIDGE (OPTICAL)
    [​IMG]

Sc. 13 - INT. HAKONE ENTRY PLUG (OPTICAL)
    [​IMG]

Concept Art: Shinji and Asuka's training outfits
    [​IMG]

Bynar0110 likes this.
  9. Firebird

It was the night before Christmas and all through the ship, Captain Ikari desperately tries to give Counselor Makinami the slip...

[​IMG]

Robert Bruce Scott likes this.
  10. Firebird

EVA-Trek is back for a new year with its newest episode, "My Hero."

Stardate 48677.9: A routine survey of an intense nebula uncovers a juvenile angel, and Asuka is chosen as the one to risk her life to attempt its capture.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y4fqmNLd5Ze59DLaHj5HlONvCyWeSpcp/view

Next time on EVA-Trek: "Normal"

Episode Artwork:
    [​IMG]
    Scene 33: INT. KYOTO ENTRY PLUG

[​IMG]
    Cast Photo: Lt. J.G. Asuka L. Soryu

11. Firebird

Stardate 48827.1: Welcome to a standard week in the life of Lt. Commander Misato Katsuragi - her regular duties, dealing with the Eva pilots, interacting with the crew, leading an angel attack, the usual.

Welcome back to EVA-Trek, everyone! As always, I own nothing of what I write here, and I'm sure everyone is glad I don't.

A quick announcement before we get into this month's episode. I've got a lot of IRL stuff going on for the next month, so this may affect my writing schedule a little. Thankfully, there shouldn't be any delays until episode 12, because I tend to keep about two months ahead of the release schedule. At any given time, I typically have one script in final revisions, one at a first or second draft, a third script in the outline phase, and finally scattered initial notes and concepts for the rest of the series. It helps to have done a bunch of planning early on when I was first developing the series last year!

This month, I'm trying something new for posting the episode. Now that the series is also being posted over at Ao3 (https://archiveofourown.org/series/3301210), I'm sharing a preview of the teaser here, and then the rest can be read on Ao3: https://archiveofourown.org/works/44932957/chapters/113058973

So now, on with the show - partially inspired by M*A*S*H's "Dear Dad" and TNG's "Data's Day."

-----
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

publiusr and Robert Bruce Scott like this.
  12. Firebird

Welcome back to EVA-Trek, everyone! It's been one helluva month for me since the last episode went online - lots of IRL things, but on the bright side, I didn't slip on any production for future episodes of the series. There should be no breaks in the release schedule, at least until the break I'm planning on taking between episode 24 and the two-part finale to allow myself extra time to write what looks to be a considerably long script... and edit it down.

This month's episode was a fun one for me to tackle, and in many ways it was heavily inspired by the TOS episode "The Devil in the Dark" in terms of structure. Honestly, episodes 10, 11, and 12 are a fun grouping to bring the series' second narrative arc, or the "Asuka Arc," to a close, whilst getting us to the midway point in the show.

One final note from the casting department at EVA-Trek before we move on to the proceedings. For the part of Brenad, the lead miner, imagine him played by longtime Star Trek guest actor J.G. Hertzler - General Martok, himself. In the part of Altand, Brenad's lackey, he should be read in the voice of Jason Mantzoukas, currently playing Jankom Pog on Star Trek: Prodigy.

Gonna try doing something a little different this month, and attempt posting each act of the script here, rather than the Google Drive link.

And now, a 24th century odyssey continues...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Firebird

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Firebird

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Firebird

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Firebird

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Firebird

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cast Photo: Commander (Doctor) Ritsuko Akagi
    [​IMG]

Concept Art: Initial Cast Sketch
    [​IMG]

18. Firebird

Welcome back to EVA-Trek, everyone! This month's episode finally presented an opportunity to do a classic "trapped in the holodeck" type of Star Trek episode that has been overdone, to be sure, but there's some 90's Trek tropes I just have to explore with this series. It's also the penultimate installment of the series' second narrative arc and tees up a crossover I've had planned since I first started developing EVA-Trek nearly two years ago.

We're going back to the old posting format this month - I realized it was too time-intensive to post each act individually.

Without any further ado, it's time to grab a cup of raktajino, a jumja stick, kick back, and enjoy the show!

Stardate 49011.2: A sudden plague of system failures traps Shinji, Rei, and Asuka in the holodeck and puts the entire crew in danger.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TJ7i9_P12nAeyMSiwjKHFRyS-m9ozlGC/view

Next time on EVA-Trek: "Good Grief," coming 2023.05.12

And a general comment, SPOILER tag because of Picard:

I'm still overcome with emotion over seeing the Enterprise-D reborn, so getting to continue to write this series set aboard the Galaxy-class that was my first love means so much to me. In my own way, I've been trying to make the ship live again, 31 years after becoming a Trekkie for the first time, all thanks to TNG.

19. Firebird

Welcome back to my slice of the 24th century mixed with a slice of mecha! This month brings a crossover episode with Deep Space Nine that I've been hoping to write for quite some time.

Sadly, I have to announce that I'm placing the series on an indefinite hiatus in solidarity with the Writers Guild of America strike. I cannot in good conscience continue to publish these scripts while the Guild fights for fair compensation for all screenwriters. The series shall return once the strike ends. In the meantime, I'm probably going to write a couple one-shot side-stories in prose format, and maybe release some of the non-spoilerific portions of the EVA-Trek writers guide.

Stardate 49012.1: Nerv stops at space station Deep Space Nine to aid with repairs in the wake of the Klingon attack. Amongst the activities are a promotion, some light espionage, and a life-altering experience.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1euBsTrIgFi50ufUvXizVrNwMN_Ch6nLd/view

Next Time on EVA-Trek: "Lonely as You," release date pending the resolution of the Writers Guild strike.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  20. Firebird

Welcome back (sorta) to EVA-Trek, everyone! We're a month into the writer's strike, and there looks to be little-to-no change in the negotiations. On the bright side, SAG-AFTRA (the actor's guild) has voted in favor of a strike authorization, and there's a lot of pushback within the Director's Guild against the dubious "historical" agreement their negotiators made with the AMPTP. Should make for an interesting summer if the DGA ends up having no writers or actors to make their films and shows with.

If you're interested in showing support for the various unions against corporate greed, please consider donating to the Entertainment Community Fund. It'll go a long way to helping writers (and potentially actors) during this time until they're able to get back to work.

------

This month, as I previously said, there's not going to be a new episode posted in solidarity with the WGA. What I'm going to do instead is crack open the EVA-Trek vault back to the beginning. From the start, I treated the show as if I were creating a television series, and during development of pilot episode and concept, a vital document I needed to create was a writer's guide, or show bible. In the television industry, a bible outlines the characters, plots, settings, and the overall themes for the series. Many times, the bible is part of the package that writers use to pitch the show to the network, but then continues to evolve and change over the life of the show once it's been picked up.

The first draft of the series bible was completed in November, 2021, with another couple of polishes over the next couple months. The "final" draft came shortly after finishing the first draft of "New Way Home," the pilot episode, and acted as a main springboard for the characterizations of my treatment of the Evangelion cast. This version you see here is a cut-down version of that from last summer, which pruned about 15 pages of spoilers from the 56-page document. Following the series finale, I'll post that full version, along with the Series Arc Notes document that had my initial rough ideas for every episode.

And now, without further ado, here is the July 16, 2022 Revised Final Draft of the EVA-Trek Writer's Guide, by me, based on the Star Trek: TNG writer's guide by Gene Roddenberry and David Gerrold.

[​IMG]

------

These are the voyages of the starship Nerv.
    Its continuing mission: to develop “Project E”
    to protect and defend the Federation from any threat
    to seek out and stop the menacing lifeforms known as “angels.”

THE MISSION OF THE USS NERV

STARFLEET OPERATING ORDERS:

STARSHIP: NERV
    DESIGNATION: NCC-71855
    COMMANDING OFFICER: CAPTAIN GENDO IKARI
    STARDATE: 48200.2

SHIP’S MISSION:

To provide for Earth/Federation security.
    To seek out and engage the lifeforms posing a threat to Earth, known as “angels.”
    To facilitate the continued development of Project E.
    To expand the body of Federation knowledge.
    To seek out new life, new civilizations.
    To provide assistance as required to Earth/Federation colonies, commerce and travelers.

EVA-TREK

EVA-TREK is dated around the time of STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE’s third and fourth season, the years 2271 and 2272. Tensions between the Federation and Dominion are beginning to heat up as a prelude to the inevitable war. In this section of the history, we find the characters of the NEON GENESIS EVANGELION franchise transplanted here as if they were always a part of the Prime Timeline.

The object of the series is to see the ways living in Trek’s 24th century would benefit the characters, or in some ways, open them up to pitfalls they never would have suspected. Familiar faces we’ve known now for twenty-five years may appear differently, act differently, may even fight for different sides. In addition, we aim to see how the typical stations of the Eva canon could be integrated and make the struggles against the Angels and SEELE play out over the backdrop of the build-up to the Dominion War. Will our crew make it out alive with their sanity intact, or is history doomed to repeat itself?

Along the way, we should not forget that we are playing around in the Star Trek universe and that we are aboard a Federation starship patrolling the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Remember that only 20% or so of the galaxy has been charted around the time of DS9.

If only one out of a million of the stars in the galaxy had worlds and if only one out of a million of these worlds were capable of supporting life, and if only one out of a million of those bore intelligent life, there would still be millions of inhabited worlds for us to visit.

So much for the question: “Are there any star Trek stories left?”

THE SCRIPT

What We Must Have:
    • Action/Adventure/Drama Entertainment --
    • Involving our Starship Crew and Vessel --
    • Plus, once the above has captured the audience's attention, our usual comments about challenges which humanity now faces.

THE SCRIPT -- FORMAT

THE FORMAT of an Eva-Trek script is a TEASER and FIVE Acts.

The Teaser can run as long as 7 pages if necessary, but should not be shorter than 3. Each Act should be approximately 10-11 script pages long.

The total length of the First Draft script should not be more than 61-62 pages.

Because the style of the show is a fast-paced action/drama, long rambling scenes are to be avoided. The actual running time of each episode will be 43 minutes.

TAG:

We’ve fought against an angel or come across an interesting phenomenon. Having Captain Ikari order the ship to “warp out” at the end of each episode puts us in harm’s way, dramatically speaking.

Our new optical effects shots of Nerv entering into warp speed last no more than a second or two overall. The ship appears to stretch like a rubber band, then snap forward and is gone from sight much too quickly to allow our composers to “button off” the end of the show with a proper music cue. We need to finish each show with a shot of the ship that lasts a lot longer than that.

The writing staff can help us in this regard by writing dialogue in the last scene that doesn’t refer to speed. The Captain can order Hyuga to “set course for ________” or “take us out of here” or to “take us out of orbit” or whatever -- just so long as warp speed isn’t specified. This gives us a chance to use any shot of the ship we want for as much screen time as we need.

EVA-TREK uses the narrative device of the ship’s log to provide necessary exposition for our stories.

PERSONAL OR CAPTAIN’S LOG:

Since many episodes will follow from Shinji’s point of view, the Personal Log is a voice-over supplement to the narrative of our story. In cases where Gendo drives the story, we would use a Captain’s Log. Any other crew would use a Duty Officer’s Log, or a similar title. Example: “Personal Log, stardate 48313.2. The Nerv is in final preparations to leave drydock...”

One purpose of the log entries is to move the story along rapidly and economically with a few words sometimes doing the work of several scenes. It also allows our characters to annotate their personal responses and feelings about a situation as it is occurring.

Log entries are ALWAYS introduced with a stardate.

STARDATES

A stardate is a five-digit number followed by a decimal point and one more digit. Example: “49110.4” The first digit of the stardate is always “4.” The 4 stands for the 24th Century. The 9 indicates the year/season, relative to the start of TNG. In our case, it will go from “8” to “9” by the finale. The additional three leading digits will progress unevenly during the course of the season from 000 to 999. The digit following the decimal point is generally regarded as a day counter.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023