Heroes 3x25 "An Invisible Thread" Discuss and Grade (SEASON FINALE)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 27, 2009.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

24.4%
  2. Above Average

29.3%
  3. Average

22.0%
  4. Below Average

17.1%
  5. Poor

7.3%
  1. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroes 3x25 "An Invisible Thread" Discuss and Grade (SEASON FINALE

Wow, that was utter fucking garbage. :wtf:

After the improvement in the past few episodes, I can't believe the writers and producers dropped the damn ball so badly violating the ground rules about everyone's abilities. Oh wait, they never really set any rules which was why this episode was a fucking mess. We have Sylar able to mimic people down to their clothes AND move his achilles heal around randomly, Parkman somehow able to overwrite somebody's brain completely with what amounts to another person's soul, Ali Larter back...again and again and again, and numerous stupid character moments (like Peter and Claire somehow missing the sound of Nathan getting tossed back in and landing on a piano rather LOUDLY and Mama Petrelli fawning over a carbon copy of her son in Sylar's body like it was actually her son).

At least this will be a nice clean breaking point for me with this show. What a disappointment.

2. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wondered why Ali Larter's name was in the credits at the beginning. I'm happy to see her back. Not happy to see her evil.

Nathan's dying I didn't like. But with how Nathan has been written all these years, I was almost glad to see him dead. Nathan can be really nice at times, but such an asshole at others. He's just not very consistent. Which might make sense as a human being, but not as a character. At least not to me.

3. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didnt write this myself, its from someone on another forum, but I just wanted to post it here b/c it true.

I loved that scene...Im gonna miss seeing Nathan do stuff like that.:(

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

There was an enormous amount of potential with Nathan's character (combined with Pasdar's abilities) that competent writers could have tapped into melancholymecha. Enormous potential. They had no f'ing clue how to write the character. They certainly didn't value the Peter/Nathan relationship. All they seem to value is Sylar.

5. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

And Ali Larter. Don't forget Ali Larter. :wtf:

6. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can sorta understand needing Nathan to persuade the President to change gears and stop hunting but couldn't they have him die in a plane crash or something a little while later. By that point Building 26 and the program would have been shut down and they could eliminate a threat with Sylar. Just stick a bunch of long sewing needles down into every square millimeter of his brain to guarantee that they hit his kill switch.

I don't quite understand the need to keep Sylar around after he served his purpose. Then in the enormous groundswell of grief Angela could take over his seat. She'd make a perfect politician.

7. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if theyll do to Adrian what they did with Ali. Maybe thats why they didnt show what they did to Nathan's body yet. B/c it wont be long before Nathan/Sylar finds out who he really is (probably before half the next season is over) & then whats Adrian gonna do? Maybe Angela uses the body to make a clone? Or maybe Peter picks up the power to reanimate dead bodies... so Adrian can next play his dead body as an empty shell walking around...you know what? I really need to get to bed.:guffaw:

8. Dorian Thompson

Couldn't Peter have shape shifted into Nathan to do what needed to be done and tell the president whatever? Then Nathan could officially die a little later. Angela wanting to keep around the man who murdered her son is beyond the pale.

9. startrekwatcher

Angela is pretty twisted. I think there can be an argument made to where her wanting this isn't unbelievable. It does sort of make a perverse sense of retribution right up her alley. I mean what is more sinister than her essentially killing Sylar and using his body to resurrect her lost son. I could see her as a parent being consumed by her grief over the loss of Nathan and her hatred for Sylar seeing this as an appropriate yet twisted sense of justice as well as a way to give her a second chance of being a better mother.

10. Dorian Thompson

But her son isn't resurrected. It's nothing but a false mask on a killer.

I wanted a storyline where one of Nathan's sons manifested an ability. :( No more chance of that.

11. startrekwatcher

I'm not suggesting otherwise. I'm simply saying that someone like Angela consumed by grief and feeling responsible for all of this might have a psychological break to where that distinction is blurred. It certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. Afterall, there have been situations where parents of murder victims reach out and bond to some degree with the killers.

12. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

JUMP. THE. SHARK.

Poor.

This show is officially "The Sylar Show"... - Or perhaps more accurately "The Sylar Idiot Hour". I'm just so tired of it. Right now I have no interest in watching the next "volume".

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, if anyone was wondering whether Heroes was back, that episode had to have laid their fears to rest. :bolian:

Nice move on Petey's part, doing the old Worf-switcheroo trick. (Didn't the Dominion try that with some other Klingons once upon a time? :rommie:) I did NOT see that coming. Makes up for all the stupid things he's ever done before. What a difference is makes for these characters to be written by good writers who can figure out intelligent and surprising moves for them to make.

The Sylar-Nathan switch pretty much happened like I expected, except that I thought they would leave Sylar conscious of his identity and have Nathan's persona gradually take over throughout the first part of S4. I didn't anticipate Matt's role in this scenario, very clever.

Of course the smart move for Angela now is to quietly arrange an accident to kill faux-Nathan. But she won't be able to bear losing her beloved son...argh! And Peter, I assume, is clueless. Holy cow!

Once again, we get another anticlimatic fight involving Peter and Sylar. They have to keep teasing us with this stuff, don't they? :p I guess the Mother of All Battles has to be reserved till the series finale. I for one can't wait for the day when Peter realizes Sylar murdered Nathan.

And speaking of Peter, if Fuller is playing fair with the story logic, he has to start giving Peter a nasty case of creeping insanity. I guess if he's smart, he'll shuck the powers quickly by absorbing somebody else's. Unless of course the insanity kicks in quickly enough that he can't quite bring himself to do that.

Sylar and Claire...wow, off the ole creep-o-meter. What are the writers going to do when Nathan's personality starts reverting? I'm all for sick & creepy, but they're gonna have to be very careful how they handle that on prime-time network TV.

Even tho I thought the whole Gabriel Petrelli storyline was terribly botched, this episode did cap off that story with an ironic coda. Sylar's become what he wanted to be - the heir apparent to the whole metahuman dynasty. Isn't Nathan the de facto leader of the Petrelli family and by extension, everyone? He's got the family he wanted! :rommie:

S4 is going to be one hell of a season. I just hope they don't make us wait till January! :klingon:

Oh cmon, they've created new possibilities while losing nothing! Peter and Nathan will be all lovey dovey like always since neither knows the difference. Cept maybe Nathan will show a bit too much interest in clocks and such...and if Peter doesn't shuck Sylar's powers quickly, he'll be in trouble...and that's just the beginning of the fun.

I have this funny feeling that the ultimate ending of this story will be for the Nathan persona to be permanently locked-in and that is how Sylar will "die" - the perfect death for a character obsessed with the fear that he is "nothing." It will most likely take till the end of S4 for that to be resolved. No rush, it will be great fun to see it all play out.

Matt was the part I didn't guess! I thought the Nathan-persona-takeover would be a natural by-product of two interacting powers - changeling and memory absorption - because I've been waiting for some of these powers to have bad interactions with each other, like taking the wrong drugs in combination.
    They just need to forget that ever was a plot element. It's too much of a cheap "out" every time anyone dies. At long last, this show had the guts to really kill someone important. Of course they can't give up Pasdar, and we might not actually lose Nathan in the end - at least not in some sense - I'm actually quite fascinated to see the reaction of Angela as she fights to "save" Nathan, or what happens when Peter gets over his incendiary rage at Sylar and realizes he could have his brother back instead - what does he choose, revenge or love?

Yes, he was. To kill Mohinder would not have had a tenth of the dramatic punch. Above all, this show needs guts. It's too easy and complacent, we need to have the sense that yes, anything can happen. There are no fan favorites, there are no sacred cows. That's the Heroes I want!

Except that they better never kill Peter. :rommie: Yes, I'm a hypocrite.

That would be a good way to start making Peter and Claire (and Nathan) suspect something is terribly wrong - several episodes into S4 would be a good place for it. Of course Angela could spin some tale about how Nathan's powers, which were artificial all along, are somehow evolving. That's happened to other characters. Or that he's always been a power absorber just like his father and brother, and it's just now emerging or some hooey. That might keep the suspicions at bay for a while.

But it's Matt who's going to blab the truth in the end. His conscience will nag at him and he won't be able to bear the greusome sight of Peter and Claire being a happy family with Nathan. Matt's a family man himself and that's going to just gnaw at him. And Matt keeps saying how important honesty is to him (tho his powers are partly about deception, interesting).

Oh and let's not forget Mohinder! When Nathan starts exhibiting odd new powers, the science guy will certainly start examining him. I would hate to think we'd lose the Sylar-Mohinder relationship. Lots of creepy fun scenes for those two next season I'm sure.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  14. Dorian Thompson

They've lost a great deal. Sylar will gradually reassert himself. You don't actually think he won't, do you? They have irrevocably ended the brothers' relationship. Peter will figure things out and it won't be the same. It's irretrievably lost. Any chance of Nathan having a relationship/storyline with his sons is lost. Any chance of Nathan going through a real storyline of redemption--lost. Any chance of a reasonable resolution to the shooting storyline is lost. All we're left with is crazy Sylar. You don't think they'd kill of Sylar, do you? Yes, killing off Nathan is worse than killing off Mohinder.

15. Temis the Vorta

It won't be the same, but there will be a relationship. Peter will be murderously angry at Sylar, yet it will be difficult for him to look at a guy who looks and acts exactly like Nathan, without a part of him thinking it is Nathan. Wishful thinking or just love triumphing over revenge?

And when Sylar's persona starts to re-emerge, what will his reaction be? Suddenly he's awakened to discover he's gotten what he wanted - would Sylar actually play possum as Nathan? Earlier in the season, Peter and Sylar did manage to accept each other as brothers and now in the weirdest possible way, it's come true!

And my bet is that Nathan and Sylar will battle for control of that single body, and that Nathan will win in the end. That is such a perfect ironic death for Sylar - gotta happen! But not till the end of next season at least. If this happens, who has won, Nathan or Sylar? I'd say Nathan.

Matt and Mohinder have interesting roles to play in this drama as well. And of course, Claire. Oog, hope they don't overdo the creep factor there.

Big dramatic things have to happen in this show, or it becomes stale and repetitive. They've shaken up the emotional core of the story and there are interesting new possibilities because of it. Without that possibility, I'd just get bored of seeing the same stuff over and over. Honestly where else could they have gone with Nathan and Peter other than more bickering?

I want Heroes to be like Lost, a show where, yes, important characters can die and things can happen that will make your jaw drop. This is one of the few times I've seen Heroes really shock me like Lost does.

Maybe not - but I don't think the kids are a priority now.

Nathan's final victory over Sylar will be his triumph from beyond the grave - Nathan will be the one who finally destroys Sylar, by attacking his key weakness, his fear of being "nothing."

That's part of the pre-Fuller crap storylines that went nowhere. It's obvious to me that the previous writers were just making a mess and Fuller has every right to clean the slate for much better stories going forward.

In the series finale, yes.

Okay, that's a fair point - I was wondering about that myself - seemed like a hell of an extension of Matt's previously know abilities to add brainwashing to the mix. But since it's going to wear off, it makes sense if Matt wasn't very good at it.
    That's because Bryan Fuller didn't come back till six episodes from the end or so. He's had to fix a lot of problems on the fly, and I think he's done a nice job turning things around. S2 and S3 are so incoherent and self-contradictory, with silly ideas like the magic healing blood that are story-killers, that I'm fine with Fuller simply zapping the bad stuff out of existence.

16. Dorian Thompson

Love triumphing over revenge? Temis, I want some of what you're smoking. Peter's going to love Sylar because he looks like Nathan? He murdered Nathan. Peter's not going to love him once he realizes it isn't Nathan. Sylar and Nathan aren't going to fight with Nathan triumphing. Nathan is dead. There's only Sylar in there with false memories implanted. You give these writers far too much credit. Had they killed Claire or HRG, that would have been ballsy. How about killing off precious little Hiro? I would have been applauding if they'd killed their precious little offspring, she's so cute sunshine comes out of her ass Claire.

Sylar's already reasserting himself. The jig is up. The writers have the characters bend over backwards to find reasons not to kill him. This storyline is all about keeping Sylar.

It won't. They won't kill off Sylar. There's no Nathan to battle for Sylar's body. Nathan doesn't exist. Dead men don't wage battles. You think the Heroes' writers are creative enough to do that? They're not.

17. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

Well, i clicked onto this thread because is said "Season Finale" My god am i glad that i stopped watching this show earlier this season. This sounds like utter crap.

18. Temis the Vorta

A couple days ago, I described pretty much what happened w/Nathan and Sylar, and you said the writers weren't creative enough to do that. ;) In fact, they were more creative than me; I didn't think of adding Matt to the mix.

They'll kill Sylar in the series finale and Nathan's body exists now, in all its Nathan-DNA glory. In fact, his body indisputably exists, as do his memories. The real question is what happened to his soul? Matt couldn't have placed Nathan's soul in his body, so Sylar's wicked soul is in there, if you worry about such things, which I don't.

He'll be conflicted, that's for sure, but he's an emotionally driven person. Nathan doesn't just look like Nathan, he acts like Nathan. It will be interesting to see how these characters react to this situation.

And you can't have any of what I'm smoking because I'm selfish! :p

Not unless this show goes on for several more years. A superpowered kid character wouldn't fit into the show and if we want a young teen character, there's Micah.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a very good finale. It's going to be very controversial because a fan favorite character was killed. It sucks that Nathan has really died this time but they couldn't dangle the death card in front of Nathan only to pull it away again since they already did that in season one and two finales. Angela finding Nathan's body was chilling, Cristine Rose's scream really sold the scene. Peter using Sylar's own shape shifting against him was great. I noticed that Peter and Claire weren't part of the plan to brainwash Sylar. I'm guessing Peter is going to be PISSED once he finds out what Angela did. That scene isn't going to be pretty to watch.

I wonder what they are going to do with Sylar next year? Will Sylar slowly remember who he is or will his personality merge into something inbetween Sylar and Nathan into a completely new character? Is the killer now completely gone? Sylar's little chat was Claire was creepy.

So now that Hiro isn't allowed to freeze time anymore? What's is Hiro going to do next season without his powers? Danko was surprisingly alive at the end of the episode and didn't die like most of us expected. I wonder if he will be around next season or the writers will completely forget about him? I really hope that the writers don't have another the world is going to be destroyed plot next season, and try something much different.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Zachary Quinto play Spock in the new Star Trek movie! Only two more weeks! :)

20. Dorian Thompson

His soul's gone. Nathan's dead. There's no other party to fight for Sylar's body. There's Sylar with false memories placed in his head. False memories are just thought patterns. They aren't a separate being. Nathan is deader than a doornail and staying that way. How can Peter react in any way except with anger once he finds out? A brother's murderer isn't a substitute for a brother. It doesn't work that way. I thought you meant that Nathan's actual consciousness would survive and co-exist with Sylar's in Nathan's body. This is just Sylar with a mask. It's not the same. A mask isn't alive. Zoe-A from Caprica is more alive than false memories implanted in Sylar's head. There's nothing to resurrect.

Claire has connections to HRG, Nathan, Angela, and Peter. She's connected in some way to every major player on the canvas. Her being cut down in the prime of life, actually dying with a knife wound to the correct part of the head, now that would have been ballsy. It would have created tons of story. Rage and grief in Noah, Sandra, and all the Petrellis. Angela Petrelli going on the warpath against Sylar instead of embracing him after he murdered her son. Noah and Nathan grieving and butting heads. Peter grieving. Sylar on the run. It would have been fantastic. But we have Nathan's family conflicted about loving Sylar just because he happens to look like Nathan? It can only have one outcome. Sylar cannot be accepted by the Petrelli family. It's ridiculous. There's no conflict to experience. Nathan's dead and Sylar killed him.