What do you diehard TOS fans think of the new movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by treklover, May 12, 2009.

1. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

The phenomenon is not just the old series, but the dynasty it begat.

2. RobertMfromLI

RobertMfromLI Lieutenant Red Shirt

LoL - well we aren't making repeats... four new episodes out (we prefer not to count "Come What May" and 4 more in post production - with a lot more planned.

;)

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

But, in all honesty, you guys are TOS either. That was the show with William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and DeForest Kelly. It's honetly about as valid as J.J. Abrams Star Trek, given that Abram's Star Trek ALSO had an original cast member from TOS (Leonard Nimoy) in it. Again, I LIKE New Voyages; but honestly, your production has no more, nor any less 'validity' to the TOS mantle than J.J. Abrhams. Star Trek.

4. RobertMfromLI

RobertMfromLI Lieutenant Red Shirt

Whether you consider us valid TOS is one thing. That you consider us equally as invalid than JJ Trek though is baffling.

Like Shakespear, more than one actor can play a role. So, yes, we aren't TOS... but are far more valid as a successor (if you want my opinion) as we're following in their footsteps.

The difference being, we recast the roles. The recreated the roles (for the most part, created new characters, but used TOS names for them). And of course, our stories are largely written by or based off scripts by people who helped create TOS and TOS movie era adventures. So, we produce TOS stories (even if we are not TOS), while JJ created a "not TOS Trek" story.

So, I'd like to think that while not actually being TOS, we are far closer and far more valid as a continuation of TOS... your mileage may vary. ;)

And thanks for the compliment - hope you like the next episodes as well.

5. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

But I spelled it right....that's the most important thing!

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to ask why do some people are acting like the whole this movie was great/this movie sucked thing is any different then any other time a new Trek was made?

I mean come on what version of Trek has EVER been universally loved by the fans?

In fact name one Trek movie that hasn't been paned for one reason or another.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. We went through this with TMP, then with TWOK and most recently (on this scale) with TNG. The whole brouhaha with Enterprise was almost a footnote to all of that, happening as it did during the tailing-off of the whole Trek phenomenon of the 90s.

I went to one of the older, more established fan-run Trek conventions this last weekend. The acceptance of this movie amongst folks in that f2f environment is probably more complete right now than the acceptance of TNG in 1988 - for example, dealers could do a little bit of business in anti-TNG teeshirts in those days ("Who needs another generation?") and that's not going on now.

Time and time again, what I heard from hard-core TOS fans followed the general form of "well, I really didn't like thus-and-such (Kirk being promoted too fast, the destruction of Vulcan, etc) but overall I liked the movie. I want to see what they do with the next one, though." That was about as negative as it got.

8. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

You don't count the TOS movies as canon? :D They were made less than 40 years ago!

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I count them as Star Trek - that's what they are, after all, regardless of anyone's opinion - I just don't count the TOS-based movies as TOS. They're a revival, and considerably different in content, tone, visual design and all kinds of things. I like a couple of them quite a lot, but they're not part of The Original Series despite the fact that they feature the same actors playing versions of the original characters.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually the stuff below describes Phase II better.

11. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Yes you did, jolly good. :D

12. Captain_Rogers

Captain_Rogers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm a long time Trek fan and I loved the movie. Lots of great bits in it. I get a kick out of people who say it was as bad as they were afraid it would be, and I have to wonder if they actually watched the original or any of the films.

Out of 10 films 6 were easily, to be blunt, crap. TMP wasn't exactly great either, but it gets a pass for bringing everyone back together. This film easily exceeded past film attempts, and is a solid in my book.

Evil Bastard that I am, I hope the studio goes back and remasters all future DVD releases with the "JJPrise" just to provide the entertainment value of watching people whine. :)

13. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Don't forget the lens flares!!
    :techman:

14. Kirk's_Tights

Kirk's_Tights Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some people are a little more passionate about it than others. I loved it but don't really care who didn't enjoy it because it's all personal opinion.

People are nuts if they think that a movie will please the masses.