DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've pretty much posted over the course of this thread and the news thread my issues with the relaunch and how DC has handled it, and the fans concerns, so I won't bother repeating myself (believe it or not the timeline issue is way far down on my list).

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The more I hang out on this thread, and the more I read comments about the New 52 books, the more certain I become that I'll be sticking to the pre-N52 New Earth stories.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Steph never made much of an impact on me as a reader, so I can't say I miss the character. Same for Cassie Cain. I'll take Babs and Kate over them any day of the week.

4. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

The reboot has been a double edged sword, the good thing is that it's a fresh start and a great jumping on point to new books.

However irritating thing about the reboot is you don't know what is and isn't still in continuity, and the fact that a lot of awesome characters have seemingly disappeared where are Doctor Fate, Alan Scott, and Metamorpho?

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

^Not to mention Wally West, Donna Troy, and really the whole of the JSA.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It would be funny if they turned the inconsistencies in the new timeline into a plot-point.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Alan Scott is on Earth 2. I suspect Dr Fate is there too. Rex Mason probably hasn't become Metamorpho yet.

Let the stories tell you whats in continuity, you'll know when you get there. Do you really want a list? Boring.

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

shhh. don't give them ideas!

9. Admiral_Young

I'm still waiting to see what that mysterious silver liquid pool that was mentioned in the "Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes" crossover is supposed to be for. It was mentioned in the labelled panel indicating what everything was that it was a "future New 52 plot point" kind of reminded me of a Lazarus Pit.

To me Pandora is the wild card character of the New 52 and screams back door plot device. Out of the "new" characters that have been introduced for the relaunch she intrigues me the most .

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Possibly a Time pool

Seriously I think your fixation are the major events is what leaves you disappointed. DC usually does the small stuff better. Snyder's Court of Owls, the Swamp Thing Animal Man team up, the JLD stuff, they are probably going to be done a lot better than the stuff with Pandora or the whole Daemonite arc.

11. Admiral_Young

No as I have been saying all thread long, I've a long more concerns than just whatever is an event and the time line. I've also through the thread praised the books that I've been reading as well. I just think the entire relaunch overall has been an unnecessary thing, DC obviously felt otherwise and the sales for the time being have proven them correct. I have also said that will most likely balanced out over the year now that "Avengers Vs X-Men" has started and Marvel's stuff is starting to kick into gear.

I've been very entertained with most of the books I've been reading so far actually. So I do have a question...is this Robins Jeff Lemaire book happening or not for the third wave? Bleeding Cool keeps reporting it is and I know it is April Fool's day today so I'm not entirely sure. I'd love to read that book as mentioned when it was first brought up several months ago.

A Time Pool is logical. Perhaps belonging to Pandora?

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Last night I read the first two parts of the Rise of the Vampires saga.

Part 1
    Justice League Dark #7 - This really picks up from the last few pages of I,Vampire #6 but a recap of Andrews seeming death is summarized. His "death,death", I mean he's a vampire so he was already dead, a fact not lost on him that he mentions in part 2. The art was beautiful in the book and the ever increasing notion they are a defacto team is still a funny gag...for now.

Part 2
    I,Vampire #7 - The art in the whole series has been by the same team, it's yet great again. Mary gets a fair share of the spotlight this issue and how she is going to reluctantly side with the angels to stem the tide of bringing in Cain back to our plane. This will interfere with Mary's plans...can't have that.

While I'm not pleased with elements like Step, Wally, Donna, Connor, the JSA not being represented yet and others such as Oliver, Kory and Supes in Action being not to my liking the Dark line has been a fun read.

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just got a chance to pick up March's issues since it's been a while since I've been to the store.

All I have to say is LOBDELL IS USING DANNY THE STREET IN TEEN TITANS! I was not expecting that (though, I guess there were clues...), but that's awesome!

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Just Action and Detective for me tomorrow.

15. Admiral_Young

Just Action Comics tomorrow, looking forward to the conclusion of the opening arc!

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Action Comics
    Batwing
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing

17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Huh, nothing for me this week. That's disappointing.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Animal Man #8
    Swamp Thing #8

Light week, almost got Venom #14 cause of Hybrid and Scream showing up.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Action Comics #8 was a decent ending to the first arc, I thought. The way he treated Brainiac in the end was a little odd, though...

20. Admiral_Young

I absolutely loved this issue...and Mr. Light what was weird about what Clark decided to do with Brainiac? It has the last remnants of Krypton. The knowledge of his home world, and I'm guessing his Fortress of Solitude is a tesseract of some kind or space station. I wonder if Clark's landlord is supposed to be Mxy in disguise given her name :)