DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes mostly as pencillers. Byrne's only singular well known work as writer was Fantastic Four. I'm drawing a blank on Giffen in regards to writing though.

2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By singular, I think you're referring to the fact that he was teamed with Claremont on X-Men, right?

As for Giffen, solo, he wrote Justice League International/of America in the late 80's through the very early 90's. That's probably his best known singular work. He worked with Paul Levitz on Legion of Super-Heroes, notably on the "Great Darkness Saga" storyline, viewed as that title's best arc. He teamed with John Rodgers for the first few issues of Blue Beetle, which was highly acclaimed. He also wrote the Annihilation mini-series for Marvel, as well as the Annihilation Conquest: Star Lord mini-series, which featured Star Lord/Peter Quill, Rocket Racoon, and Groot coming together for the first time.

I thought Ordway was a solid writer on The Power of Shazam.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Giffen was more of a co-plotter than an actual writer probably but did have a huge say in the Legion through its most successful decade.

Byrne, in addition to the FF, also had X-Men and the Post-Crisis version of Superman which was almost entirely his own creation.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know others have already said this, but I need to repeat it. Giffen teamed up to write the best Justice League era in the history of the group, the JL International/Europe/America era with JM DeMatteis. Byrne, besides writing a great FF and an almost definitive Superman, started and wrote a good deal of Sensational She-Hulk, which was amazing. Jerry Ordway wrote THE BEST Captain Marvel series in the character's 75+ year history, The Power of Shazam.

So, really, some of the best comics for some of my favorite characters (including my favorite DC hero, Captain Marvel, and favorite Marvel hero, She-Hulk) were written by artists. That doesn't mean that a lot of artists shouldn't write (I wouldn't read anything JRjr wrote, and Liefeld is barely an artist, much less a writer), but a few have done it very, very well.

5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I'd like to add Frank Miller to the list. His recent work might be completely insane, but he did a re-imagination of Daredevil that is now considered the definitive version, his work on Batman in the 80s was fantastic (I may think it's often overrated, but it is still fantastic, not to mention influential), his original work on stuff like Ronin, Sin City and Big Guy & Rusty ...

Then there's Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Mike Grell, Dave Gibbons, ...

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What did Jack Kirby write? I thought he was just an artist.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

all the New Gods stuff. Demon. Kamandi. Omac. several issues of Jimmy Olsen.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Eternals, Captain America, the Losers, Sandman and pretty much anything he drew after leaving Marvel in 1970.

Byrne was the writer as well as the artist on his run on Wonder Woman in the 90s. He also wrote his creator owned books like the Next Men.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I read DC's FCBD offering over the weekend. I must say I was intrigued by both the Batman and Superman stories.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just finished the Omega Men Sneak Peek.

I think Poochie is dead.

I'm going to sleep fantastically tonight.

A world without Poochie.

Squee!

11. shivkala

Kirby wrote. In fact, according to Kirby, he wrote more of the work that bared his and Stan Lee's name than Stan did:

[/LEFT]

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wow. That's the first time I've ever heard something negative about Stan Lee.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Jack was pretty bitter at that point. While I don't doubt Kirby heavily contributed to the plotting and suggested dialogue, Stan's style was pretty unique and different than from Kirby's as anyone reading his solo work can attest. Certain ticks are evident whether it's the FF, Thor or Spider-man. If he did use ghosts they were very constistant.

14. shivkala

I have a friend at work who is very much on Kirby's side and gets upset whenever anyone sings Stan Lee's praises. Even before that, I'd heard rumblings along these lines.

If anyone has the time and is interested, there's a radio interview with Jack Kirby, where towards the end Stan calls in and you can hear the two of them go at it.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1yJZKDwIRE[/yt]

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I read a lot about the Kirby/Lee saga at one point. It is really a case of he said/he said.

There are three sides to every story, and that is very true in this case.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really looking forward to "Prez" now.