Zephram Cochrane RIGHT THROUGH the heart!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by teacake, Jan 15, 2009.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know how I missed this in my previous viewing of Twilight but.. WOW. Archer plunges his broken statuette of Zephram Cochrane right through the reptilian Xindi's chest, killing him.

That is just so great!

I also think it's fascinating that the last human colony was on Ceti Alpha V. Had they remained forever hidden from the Xindi they still would have perished when Ceti Alpha V was rendered uninhabitable by the obliteration of Ceti Alpha VI 200 years later. So they were DOOMED. A great foreshadowing of an event that never occurs.

2. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a lot of good irony in that episode. The writers definitely had a cruel streak in them when they made the colony on Ceti Alpha V :p I remember being impressed at the use of the infamous statue. What a way to go.

The bit that stuck out to me on watching it was Reed's "I'm not a Klingon or from the Mirror Universe" goatee, and Trip's grammatically challenged "HIRED BY WHOOOO?!"

3. cyph

cyph Captain Captain

Yeah, I caught the Cochrane statue too, but I don't know anything about Ceti Alpha V being doomed. Which series did that occur in?

4. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I also didn't know about the ceti alpha irony.

5. teacake

Khan Noonien Singh and his band of Eugenic superfolk were marooned on Ceti Alpha V by Captain Kirk in the TOS episode Space Seed (a barely M class planet). In The Wrath of Khan it is revealed that Ceti Alpha VI was destroyed thus rendering Ceti Alpha V a wasteland of desert and vicious wind. Even Khan's superfolk found survival difficult, their numbers greatly diminished. An earth colony would have been destroyed.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I heard a rumor the Cochrane statue will be seen in some form in the new J.J. Abrams movie as a tip of the hat to the character and James Cromwell's performances. Not sure if it's true, but I imagine Cochrane will get mentioned or seen at least once in historical context.

7. teacake

I should certainly hope so!

"I don't care. I don't want to be a statue!"
    Zephram Cochrane, First Contact

8. cooleddie74

Look at it this way.
    Even IF much of the original, familiar TOS timeline is altered by Nero's and Spock's confrontations, everything before the attack on the USS Kelvin happens is still in the ENTERPRISE timeline as we are familiar with it. Archer and the NX-01 existed as they "always did," and so did Cochrane's first warp flight from Montana and First Contact.

[cooleddie, swing by the TrekXI Spoiler Reminder thread and have another look-see when you get a chance... --HR]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009
  9. flightmech73

flightmech73 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I remember the ceti alfa V mention. I thought oh damn! when i saw that part. Had to explain it to the wife. But I gata admit i totally missed the Cochrane statue thing. Or maybe its just been so long I dont remember.

10. Bluejay

Bluejay Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think I missed it too ... how could I have done so! ugh ... :p

11. cooleddie74

To be fair, I didn't even think I was releasing a "spoiler." It was just self-educated assumption based on rumors I'd heard.:lol:

12. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic hyperpolypyroferricist Moderator

To be on the safe side, cooleddie, if it's about the movie, even speculation, put it in spoiler tags, okay? Just putting two or three key words together in the same sentence might be enough to wreck a surprise for somebody.

13. cooleddie74

Meh. Fair enough.

I was just making guesswork. But fair enough.;)

14. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

This forum is educational. I need to go back and watch First Contact.

What I have not noticed, does the statue look like the actor?

15. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Naming the two characters and the ship?

16. cooleddie74

I have that much trivial TREK crap in my head. Crammed full of lore from the franchise. Yep. Just dumb guesswork.

17. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic hyperpolypyroferricist Moderator

Hello... table the non-spoilery (thank you) spoiler talk, and wander back to the discussion, if you please.