Zenimax bought by Microsoft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Owain Taggart, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Microsoft just made what is probably their largest game-related purchase. They've just bought Zenimax and in one fell swoop, bought Bethesda (Fallout and Elder Scrolls franchise) and id Software (Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein and their proprietary idTech engine), Arkane Studios (Dishonored, Prey) all for a cool 7.5 Billion.

https://kotaku.com/microsoft-buys-bethesda-parent-zenimax-media-for-7-5-b-1845127153

Part of me doesn't really know what to think at this point. I'm still processing it, but it's potentially got to have a large impact on the industry as a whole. Right off the bat, MS now owns some of the world's biggest game IP's that have been around for a good length of time. They currently say nothing will be changing and that they'll still be crossplatform titles, but as expensive as this is for them, I don't think they'll allow that to be the case longer than they feel is necessary, given that I feel they really need more varied exclusives for their console. And it's interesting to note that, Morrowind was console-exclusive to the XBox and it was only with Oblivion going forward that the series also came to the Playstation.

So, Microsoft gets more shooters, but also an engine with a long legacy, which I'm sure they'd be tempted to use as an in-house engine for use with their other slate of titles. Along with Obsidian which they purchased last year, they've now also got Bethesda, giving them a strong lineage in experience with RPGs, and frankly, I do think they need a bit more of a varied lineup of exclusives.

2. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

I want a new Fallout game, but not 'FNV2' which...I don't get it? Unless they just mean a new game in the same vein and not a direct sequel because the Mojave Wasteland is a one trick pony....

3. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

MS" Hey Obsidian, would you like to make a Fallout NV sequel?"
    OB" Yes but we can't, Bethesda own the rights"
    MS " Wait here"
    Lol

Jax likes this.
  4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

[​IMG]

BillJ likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, I think NV has a lot of untapped potential there. Not that I think we'll get a sequel.

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Between Bethesda and Obsidian, there's plenty of untapped potential for Fallout besides Fallout New Vegas, so I really don't see why it speciffically needs to be a sequel to that. A Fallout sequel set just about anywhere can work.

Interestingly, seeing as Bethesda and Obsidian have worked well together in the past, now that they're part of the same parent company, I could see them teaming up more often. Although I've seen someone mention that at this point, Bethesda's engine used for both Elder Scrolls and Fallout is quite dated. Makes me wonder if they'll end up using idTech from hereon.

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want Fallout: Northwest Territories and follow the Khans after NV.