YouTube to launch professionally produced channels

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I don't have a problem with product placement...it is better to see a character drink a Pepsi instead of a "cola"...but when plots and stuff are centered on a product...Stride Gum anyone? It is ridiculous.

I'd like to see a internet channel that provides original content, quality content and succeeds. Other than the stuff that violates copy writes...most of the stuff on YT is garbage. :lol:

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing about YT is, it shouldn't matter that "most of their stuff is garbage." No individual person can hope to consume more than a tiny percentage of the total. All that really matters is that there's enough stuff in that mess to satisfy any given person, and that there's an easy, quick, accurate way to find it.

I can't tell whether YT has done the former, because they haven't done the latter. There may be all sorts of great stuff for me in that mess, but if I can't find it, it may as well not exist.

3. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good... I think it's about time TV channels noted how many people are ignoring them now due to the internet...

TV is full of absolute s#! te nowdays, with companies broadcasting the cheapest and most lackluster plot s#!te ever just to try and get the publics attention... who cares about good storyline, actual plot continuity or characters you actually like?

Seems TV nowdays is all about celebrities (and i use the term in the loosest possible sense here), kareoke competitions and who can make themselves look like the biggest idiot on TV... no surprise more people are turning to the internet than ever before...

M

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

AdAge has an enlightening article on the topic. What jumped out at me:

-Video uploaders/channel owners are expected to do the work of managing their own communities. That makes sense - YT doesn't have the resources to babysit that squalling horde. Let's hope the pro producers understand that they're not just producing video, they're also inheriting a mass of foul-mouthed kiddies of all ages. :D

-Just as I suspected, YouTube doesn't really expect pro content to take over. It's just a way of establishing relationships with big advertisers by offering them something familiar. Maybe the pro content will just turn out to be a blip, but by then the YT ad sales people will have the right cards in their rolodexes, so who cares?

In an ideal universe, YT would love to get Ford to advertise on cat videos (and who's to say that wouldn't work just as well as advertising on sitcoms and cop shows?) Cat videos are free for YT, and pro content costs them money.

Don't get your hopes up. YT's list of pro channels is heavily reality-TV, celebrity/lifestyle and comedy. Not much scripted drama (maybe not any, it's hard to tell).