Your personal movie wish...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

+1. (Though I lean more toward a TV series with twice the budget of Game of Thrones and 22 episodes a season, with each season adapting one book)

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, and Gargoyles. Movie or live-action TV show aimed at the audience who watched the show as kids.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Michael Bay does Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Epic tragedy.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

All quite interesting suggestions.

Some of DC's Elseworld stories were interesting. Maybe if some of those were adapted to DCAU features or original stories in the same vein.

Gotham By Gaslight anyone?

I've long enjoyed The Saint books by Leslie Charteris as well as the original television series with Roger Moore, particularly the b&w episodes. I also didn't mind some of the original 1930's films with George Sanders. Ian Ogilvy in the '70s was kinda okay. The Val Kilmer film was shit.

But I'd love to see a proper Saint film and set in the 1930s where he originated.

6. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

It would have to be a tv show. I can't see the same detail covered by a series of movies.

7. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always wanted to see several of Anne McCaffery's Pern books adapted into a movie series.

Deep Space Nine and Voyager need some movies, maybe throw in Enterprise while we're at it.

I want that US TV adaptation of Naoki Urasawa's Monster to get off the ground.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've wanted to see a film based on Fred Saberhagen's Berserker stories for over 40 years.

9. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

I very much agree with the posters who wanted:

"Ringworld"
    "Foundation" (series)

How about Gibson's "Neuromancer?", or any of his stuff? (I know about "Johnny Mnemonic")

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Very good idea. New Frontier was turned into a nice animated movie.

An excellent idea. There was a series in development not long ago, but it fell through.

I'd love to see that.

I'd love to see that, too.

Something else I thought of, though it's a bit more obscure: George RR Martin's Haviland Tuf. Not many people have heard of the character, but Martin has the name recognition these days to get it made.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my initial thought was TV show, too. Just makes more sense.

12. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought it would be cool to have a film or even TV mini-series where a US Aircraft carrier was transported back in time during the Roman Empire and the people on board were forced to chose sides in some of their conflicts - or inadvertently get involved. Also, how ancient folks would react to modern technology e.g. an iPad

13. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A Xena movie. To make up for the atrocity that was Friend In Need.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it... but what to do about the language barrier?

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

There's bound to be some people on a ship that size that studied Latin. That would give them a head start. They'd just have to pick up on the pronunciation and nuances of the spoken language in that era.

16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Vaguely similar to David Drake and Eric Flint's Belisarius series. Competing factions from the far future go back to the 5th century, trying to change the future. Real-historical Byzantine general Belisarius is ther main character. Both sides from the future begin arming their chosen sides in the past with more and more modern weaponry - sturrups, firearms, steam power, ironclad ships...

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be really difficult to film, but Stephen Baxter's Xeelee universe would make some excellent anthology stories with an overarching theme. Especially Exultant.

18. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing really jumps to mind except for a proper treatment of George RR Martin's Fevre Dream.

The vampires genre has about run its course, The Strain, not withstanding. But done right, his Antebellum period piece about a Vampire searching along the Mississippi for others so he can give them his cure and battling the big bad vampire who wants to continue the old ways of hunting humans like cattle would be fantastic. I've wanted to see it done since I read the book as a kid in the 80s.

Unfortunately, the "cure" and the setting of the story is altogether too close to True Blood's Trublood and Louisiana setting... I think those who grew tired of the HBO series and Harris's novels would find that a turn off.

19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Where's the challenge for the carrier, though? If the crew chose to get involved with whatever side?

I mean, the romans had one of the most powerful navies in the ancient world but the whole armada could be swamped by one Nimitz carrier running flat out nearby. And one Marine Sniper on a hill could decimate an entire legion all by himself. And carriers cruise with a company of marines.

Really, all you'd be doing is setting up the next episode of Ancient Aliens.

[Giorgio]Did the Romans really invent handheld chalkboards, or were they emulating the computer tablets of some advanced species?[/Giorgio]

20. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

^^until they run out of avgas and ammo. :D