Your favourite two-parter/feature length episode?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by apenpaap, Apr 6, 2009.

?

Your favourite two-parter/Feature length episode?

1. Encounter at Farpoint

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. The Best of both Worlds

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Redemtion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Unification

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Time's Arrow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The Chain of Command

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  7. Birthright

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Descent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Gambit

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. All Good Things...

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. LaBarre

LaBarre Commander Red Shirt

1. BOBW
    2. AGT
    3. CoC

2. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

:lol: This is hilarious. I vote it best post of the thread. :) I'm surprised so many people would pick "The Best of Both Worlds". I enjoy it as much as the next person and like many here consider it one of my five favourite episodes, but judging its quality as a two parter against others, I think it comes up a little short. The intensity is just ramped up incredibly in the first part, and there are scenes of dialogue both poignant and riveting in both parts, but in terms of storytelling, I think part 2 feels a little rushed. I just can't help shaking the feeling every time I watch it that the rescue of Picard seems just a little too easy after how well the Borg had been built up in part 1.

I think overall Chain of Command is a better two-parter, because it also has parallel storylines (the new Captain on board as well as Picard's espionage and capture), but doesn't run out of steam before it's over remaining constantly suspenseful and intriguing from one episode to the next. I would say the same about All Good Things..., which also juggles multiple storylines without ever letting any of them go flat before the conclusion, but it had the advantage of being allowed more time for its scenes to play out. That's why I think Chain of Command is probably worthy of being considered the most well put together two-parter overall. With a regular TV running time, it does the best job of being economical with its scenes without rushing anything and stays consistently compelling in its acting and writing.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. AGT--I can't really praise this one highly enough, the best of Trek's finales by a country mile, even despite its ridiculous treatment of the concept of time
    2. CoC--perhaps the best acting in all TNG; plus it arguably tortured Picard more than the next one...
    3. BoBW--ah, back when the Borg were cool!
    4. Descent--I don't even remember exactly how this ends, but I vividly recall enjoying it
    5. Unification--alright, Spock! Also about the only time we see Romulus. The plot to invade Vulcan was, however, lame. Assuming they did conquer the planet, in what universe was the Federation going to let them keep it?
    6. Encounter at Farpoint--Q was cool. Still the third best Trek pilot.
    7. Time's Arrow--killer teaser with Data's head, but I recall everything else (at least as much as I do) being very meh
    8. Gambit--even worse
    9. Birthright--this was on the SciFi marathon the other day and I remember being so bored with it I actually turned the TV off for an hour and a half

I barely remember Redemption, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and leave it off the list.

4. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Chain of Command for me...

Though Encounter at Farpoint and All Good Things... were tide for a very close second place.

To this day I still think that Yesterdays Enterprise should have been a two part eps.

5. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Best of both worlds, you gotta love locutus!!

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I think they should have done a full season in that universe myself. Nice contrasty lighting.

7. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell, 'Yesterday's Enterprise' should have been 'Generations.'

8. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Damn straight, and no Kirk please, his death sucked and inspired Shatner to write the 'Shatnerverse' novels. (shudder)

Also:
    There are FIVE votes now! (Woohoo!)

9. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

'Gambit' for me: the only two-parter where both parts were get the "A" grade. I loved seeing Picard in a different role, the changing rotation of captaincy of the Enterprise, and just the feeling of adventure that the story had to offer. Probably more than anything, I loved Riker in these stories and how he and Picard interacted/acted.

BOBW - yeah, part one was excellent, but the follow-up just wasn't on the same level.

Chain of Command - If I hadn't voted for 'Gambit,' I would have voted for this. Again though, I see a disparity in the quality of the parts one and two. The second part was really great, where the set-up was just "good".

10. Myasishchev

If that's the case, would you still have Rachel Garrett, or rework the story with Kirk and the E-A (or E-B)?

11. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Hurm.

It's almost too tempting not to use Kirk and the A. However, they got a pretty good sendoff in TUC.

I don't know for sure... using a previously unseen crew (of the C for example) would probably place greater emphasis on Picard and crew. However, using the A might have greater resonance with the fandom, yet might disrespect the sendoff of TUC (as 'Gens' did a bit.)

So I don't know... :eek:

12. Myasishchev

^If you made him an admiral again (which has some minor drawbacks), he could've still been on the E-B with Chekov and Scotty and Captain Frye but capable of ordering Cameron to Narendra.

A perfected Generations would somehow have Spock in it, though. Maybe he could be on Klingon-occupied Romulus.

On the minus side, if you knock Yesterday's Enterprise out of TNG, you've removed one of the reasons why the show was beloved enough to last seven seasons and get a film franchise (of course, given the results, it's questionable whether erasing the latter from history would've been a bad thing :p ).

13. Lt.Cmdr.LaForge

Lt.Cmdr.LaForge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know its cliche, but BOBW has to be the best 2 parter. Though i was very tempted to go with: Redemption, Gambit or unification. =]

14. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Can't decide between All good things, Times arrow, chain of comand and encounter at farpoint.:confused: