Your favourite line in Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by asdf1, Feb 8, 2009.

1. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Brilliant scene. One of my favorite 'all-alien' scenes in all of Trek. And seriously - they nailed it, in terms of expressing what most non-Federation AQ folks must have been thinking.

2. KimMH

KimMH “Like” fairy Premium Member

Funny thing about Legate Damar and how the Cardassians became so sympathetic - the old adage about amking your enemy a frien often ran through my mind watching the Cardassian rebellion and how Bajoran it felt. And it was a damn good speech!

3. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

"You and I are of a kind. In another reality, I would have called you friend."

Balance of Terror

4. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Don't know if it is my favourite, but one I've used more than once or twice:

"Random chance seems to have operated in our favor."

The Doomsday Machine.

5. Astraea

Astraea Commander Red Shirt

I love a lot of the Garak lines, particularly:

"The truth is usually just an excuse for lack of imagination."

(About The Boy Who Cried Wolf):

"If you lie all the time, no one is going to believe you, even when you're telling the truth."
    "Are you sure that's the point?"
    "Of course. What else would it be?"
    "That you should never tell the same lie twice."

"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
    "My dear Doctor, they're all true."
    "Even the lies?"
    "Especially the lies."

"Lying is a skill like any other. And if you want to maintain a level of excellence, you have to practice constantly."

"They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle!"
    "Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos."

Speeches:
    The ultimate counterpoint to the immortal "It's a FAAAAKE!":

"...all those people – they exist in here! In my mind. I created it. And everyone of you knew it, you read it. It's here. Do you hear what I'm telling you? You can pulp a story but you cannot destroy an idea, don't you understand, that's ancient knowledge, you cannot destroy an idea. That future – I created it, and it's real! Don't you understand? It is real. I created it. And it's real! It's REAL!"

"I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover up the crimes of other men. I was an accessory to murder. But most damning of all... I think I can live with it... And if I had to do it all over again... I would. Garak was right about one thing – a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I'll learn to live with it...Because I can live with it...I can live with it. Computer – erase that entire personal log."

And others:

"Someone once said 'Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment.'"
    "That's rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?"
    "You did, ten years from now."

"With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

"That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it you can't understand it. And if you do, no explanation is necessary."

TrekLit has also produced some gems over the years, but for now, I'll stick with the on-screen lines.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  6. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Damar, like a couple of other DS9 characters, didn't impress me at first. Then as their story came out and their relationships were known to us, they became intense, deep, intriguing characters. I felt this way about Bashir, Nira, and Garak too. I was so young and foolish.

7. IrritatingGameOfChess

IrritatingGameOfChess Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's mine as well! At the risk of sounding pretentious or silly, that line taught me something valuable when I was a kid!

8. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

"I am endeavoring, Madam, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins." -- Mr. Spock to Edith Keeler ...

9. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then... there must be something wrong with the universe!" -- Doctor Bevery Crusher, TNG "Remember Me"

10. DanStro

DanStro Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Like others I can't remember the exact line(s) but, with a little help from memory-alpha, here's two of mine: STIV: MCCoy to Kirk: "You're proposing that we go backwards in time, find humpbacked whales, then bring them forward in time, drop 'em off, and hope to hell they tell this probe what to go do with itself?!" STIV: Scotty: "I find it hard to believe that I've come millions of miles–!" Mccoy: "Thousands, thousands!" Scotty"– thousands of miles...!"

11. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

"Mr. Worf...fire."

The three little words that made the summer of 1990 such an agonizing wait for me.

12. Captain Gandalf

Captain Gandalf Commodore Commodore

"It's a faaaaaaaaaaake"!

13. StarHarper

StarHarper Captain Captain

I love the scene where Guinan gives Worf prune juice, and he declares it, "A Warrior's Drink."

14. BelloqObama

BelloqObama Cadet Newbie

My favorite line is "Why are you talking to me man?" Even though I have yet to see then new movie. Or "What does God need with a starship?"

15. azebelys

azebelys Lieutenant Red Shirt

"get the cheese to sick bay" - Janeway

16. azebelys

azebelys Lieutenant Red Shirt

I notice that Garak seems to be being mentioned a lot on here. was he brought in to add humor, or just kind of went that way?

17. 2 of 10

2 of 10 Captain Captain

"Let's get the hell out of Here"

Capt James T. Kirk in "The City on the Edge of Forever"

18. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

By golly, Jim, I'm beginning to think I can cure a rainy day!

19. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Just a few:

20. Joemac

Joemac Lieutenant Red Shirt

favourite bones quote "shh shh shhhhh. well what do you know, i finally got the last word