Your Favourite Font

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

I love Georgia. Anyone else?

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I disagree that it's ugly. And being monospaced is not a bad thing at all, especially in a formal/business letter. And what did a typewriter ever do to you?
    Times Roman is boring--more people use that than Comics Sans. And Palatino is a Garamond wannabe.
    :lol:

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

I actually have almost 2200 fonts installed currently. Practically a font for every need.

I remember trying to have over 1000 fonts installed on a Win2000 machine. Boy was that a mistake. I might as well have taken a hammer to the thing.

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I can honestly say that I have never given a crap about fonts, unless I was doing something creative or artsy. As long as I can read it, I don't care. Hell, my email defaults to Arial and I've never even considered changing it. I just don't care.

5. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily. It's kind of a blatant Helvetica rip-off, but not as good, so there are a lot of people that dislike it.

Personally, I'm quite fond of Garamond for serif fonts. For sans serif, I like a less-common one called DejaVu Sans

Incidentally, has anyone here seen this? It's actually quite fascinating:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkoX0pEwSCw&ob=av3e[/yt]

6. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Ariel, Tahoma or Calabri of the "Microsoft fonts", but there are lots of others out there that I prefer. I go to dafont.com for my fonts and try to stay away from the Microsoft fonts for creative stuff.

7. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Village font from the prisoner. microextended is nice too.

8. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not crazy about how typefaces look, but I avoid using proprietary fonts like the Microsoft ones. So I most often use:

In printed documents:
    - Computer Modern
    - Linux Libertine
    - Liberation Serif to replace Times New Roman
    On screen:
    - DejaVu Sans and Sans Mono (I use the Serif one sometimes, but I'm not particularly fond of it)
    I also like:
    - Ubuntu

I prefer the Garamond typeface personally, and I used it a lot in the past when I had to do printed works, but there aren't any fonts providing it under a reasonable license, so I mostly switched to the fonts above for all purposes when I need a normal serif font.

I have several dozen other fonts installed, so if I need to quickly do some simple graphical design, I can most often find one that fits.

And though I have personally not used them yet, Google Web Fonts appear to be quite interesting.

9. Timby

Timby Game ... OVER! Administrator

My favorite sans serif fonts are Futura and Avenir, with Century Gothic also in the mix.

My favorite serif font is probably Garamond, although I still like Palatino Linotype for certain uses.

10. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Comic Sans actually has a lot of uses.

Mostly for making fun of people who use it though; Comic Sans, Microsoft clip art and garish colours and patterns are a must if you're going to make fun of pretty much any type of home-made flyer.

ANd just for the fun of it do take a peek at the Comic Sans Project.

I tend to collect things -therefore also fonts- and am trying very hard to limit myself whenever possible, so I mostly just use the fall-back-fonts: Garamond and Helvetica