Your favourite Doctor/companion combination.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Bones2, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Doctor 10/Donna

Doctor 4/Romana I

Doctor 2/Zoe/Jamie

Doctor 10/Martha

Doctor 3/Liz/Brig

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Just out of curiosity, why do some of you like Martha and Ten? I know Freema is easy on the eye and all, but that's all I thought she was good for - same with Law and Order London aswell!

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, she's easy on the eyes. She seems to have more on the ball than Rose in my opinion. Smarter and able to think on her feet.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Why write my own post when I can just quote Starkers' because once again we're in almost complete agreement. While I thought The Ninth Doctor and Rose was a good pair, they're far from my favorite pairings. But the rest are on the top of my list.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Not again! :lol:

6. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Right now I'd say a toss up between the Fourth Doctor and the First Romana and the Tenth Doctor and Rose.

I love Lalla Ward to bits but when I watched the Key to Time season on DVD I found a level of chemistry between Tom Baker and Mary Tamm that was different than that of Baker and Ward, including a bit of unexpected sexual tension that I completely missed the first time I saw the episodes 20 years ago.

As for the Tenth Doctor and Rose, much a I liked Martha and Donna, there was just this extra spark that the Doctor had with Rose. I realized it watching the final Doctor Who Confidential on the Specials Blu-Ray, which includes a music video retrospective of Tennant's era and you can just tell there's a difference. Put another way, there were widespread rumors at the time of Tennant and Billie Piper having a thing going, and while that's not true (though Tennant does have a thing for young blonde co-stars given his well-documented relationships with Sophia Myles and Georgia Moffett) the fact their chemistry was so strong that you could imagine it carrying over into real life, gives it the edge.

Actually now I think about it I remember reading rumors that Baker and Tamm were having a fling, too, though that's probably due to that Christmas gag reel scene that showed the Doctor and Romana making out!

Alex

7. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Ten and Rose. The show was at its peak of charming, optimistic fun with those two.

8. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Ten & Donna
    Four & Romana II
    Nine & Rose
    Ten & Rose

9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

#2 and Jaimie
    #4 and Lela

10. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ten & Donna was pretty good actually... And so was 4th and Romana 1..

11. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love

1st with Barbara, Ian & Vicki. This is more for Barbara & Ian but I do really like the Tardis team in the early years and even though Susan was in better stories Vicki was the stronger character & actress.

4th with Leela. My all time favourite, there were the ultimate outsiders. Baker at his moodiest with Jameson's pitch perfect portrayal of Leela. Though they tried to save lives, they could be quite cold to the other characters - their period on the show gave us a very harsh universe. Although some of their stories weren't great (Underworld!) for me Face, Robots, Horror, Fendhal, Sunmakers and especially Talons are Doctor Who at its best.

5th with Tegan (and whoever else was around). The team I remember from my childhood and I think they worked very well together. I remember reading somewhere that Tegan was vital in that period as she forced the 5th Doctor to make decisions and do something and I think that sums them up quite well.

7th Doctor & Ace - just a lovely relationship despite all he put her through!

10th Doctor & Donna - Even in weaker stories like The Doctor's Daughter their relationship livens things up. Just a shame that between Martha, Rose, Jack, Sarah Jane & River Song plus the Doctor & Companion lite episodes we saw so little of it in the latter part of the season.

12. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

Impossible to call this one:

First/Steven
    Second/Jamie
    Third/Liz
    Fourth/SJS/Harry

Seventh/Ace

Ninth/Rose
    Tenth/Donna

...are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

13. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

The Doctor and Donna were a 50s screwball comedy duo, and I liked that.

14. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Believe or not, I like all the Doctors....(It's obviously the stories that allow the actor to shine or not)...

I kind of base my Who watching on the companions; and being that Peri and Zoe are my favorite companions, I wouldn't mind them with any of the Doctors...

With that said:

Peri w/ #5, 6, and 7...(I do wonder how Peri would manage with #9 or 10).

Zoe
    would be interesting w/ #2, obviously...as well as #3, 4. (I don't think that she would get along with #6....:lol:). It would be interesting to see her with #9, and 10....and even #11....

Zoe's super-smart, and is hinted being a bit smarter than The Doctor, so all those different incarnations would be interesting contrasts to her own knowledge an' personality.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  15. Fenric

Fenric Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

7th and ace is my all time favourite one loved the direction of the show at the time and the doctor ace relationship was the foundation of that era

also i dont mind 4th and romanna II

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

3rd/Jo and 7th/Ace are a couple of my favorites. I like how the 7th worked to build Ace as a person and the affection between the 3rd and Jo.

17. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Admiral Admiral

4/all of'em
    5/Tegan, Nyssa, and Adric
    3/Sarah
    2/Jamie

18. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10/Rose would be my favourite (Not even a shipper, just like the dynamic) but there's no way I can't mention:

9th Doctor/Rose
    7th Doctor/Ace
    4th Doctpr/Sarah-Jane
    4th Doctor/ Romana II
    3rd Doctor/Jo Grant
    2nd Doctor/Jamie

19. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Agreed. And to hear Frazier Hines tell it, that's very much how they were IRL as well.

I can't pick just one.

I love the very unique dynamic that the 1st Doctor had with Ian, Barbara, & Susan. It's so different from what the show has been for most of its run. Instead of the Doctor running the show, he's more of a mysterious instigator, with Ian doing all the dramatic heavy lifting. And I keep hoping the new series will, at some point, just let us know that Ian & Barbara eventually got married & lived happily ever after.

I like the 4th Doctor with Sarah Jane & Harry. I think many fans underestimate how important Harry was to that dynamic. It was never quite as good after Harry left.

Sometimes, I like it when the Doctor forms a definite mentor/pupil relationship with his companions, particularly violent companions that he chides for their agression yet doesn't hesitate to take advantage of when he needs it. This dynamic fits both the 4th Doctor & Leela and the 7th Doctor & Ace.

When it comes to Romana, I prefer the original Mary Tamm version. Lalla Ward is a doll but I like the crackling conflict between the 1st Romana's booksmarts & the 4th Doctor's streetsmarts. They each have their moments when they show each other up, like when Romana tells the Doctor that he's been piloting the TARDIS wrong all these years in "The Pirate Planet" or this exchange from "The Ribos Operation"...
    "But he had such an honest face."
    "Romana, you can't be an effective criminal with a dishonest face!"

While this particular combo was short lived, I liked the dynamic between the 10th Doctor, Rose, & Mickey.
    "You're not keeping the horse."
    "I let you keep Mickey!"

The 10th Doctor & Donna are excellent together, mostly because Catherine Tate is the only actress that can keep up with David Tennant. Once he had a companion that was capable of holding her own on the comic relief front, it allowed Tennant to explore some of the nuances of the Doctor that he was unable to do in the 1st couple seasons because he was so busy carrying Rose & Martha through every single scene.

LEAST FAVORITE COMBINATION:
    The 9th Doctor, Rose, & Jack. When they were all together, I kinda felt like I wasn't cool enough to watch the show anymore.:(

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

My favorite combo was Tom Baker and Romana I and K9. Comedy gold. I also liked Tom Baker and Leela and K9. Of the new era my favorite was Tennant and Martha.