Your annual vacation/holidays

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kilana2, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, there goes the Montréal trip. :(

(for those not in the know, the rest of spring training has been cancelled, including these games.)

Maybe I should have gone anyway and just visited the city. But what the hell, I can always go later.

Kilana2 likes this.
  2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Sorry to hear that. :(

TBH, you probably are better off waiting. I forget exactly when your trip was going to be, but if it was supposed to be soon... yesterday Premier Legault said that all gatherings of more than 250 people should be cancelled in the province, and today Mayor Plante announced that Montréal would be cancelling public events, and closing most of their public venues. So there probably wouldn't be a lot for you to do there right now, anyway.

3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

This year is bad for travelling. :confused:

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I just got killer airfare from JFK to Savannah in July on JetBlue. $79 down and $99 return Saturday to Saturday. We’re going to Hilton Head with the Disney Vacation Club. We were originally going to Disneyland but changed our mind and decide on a more relaxing vacation.

5. Kilana2

Next week I have several days off from work. No travelling, though. Being in the open forced to wear a mask instead. No gym. No concerts. No restaurants. I want to read some Trek books and sleep into the day.

By beach plans for this year are shattered. Next year? Nobody knows what happens until then....

Maybe in September travelling within Germany is possible again. I hope so.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Each year I've gone to a family camp in the summer and then Star Trek Las Vegas in August (I have been doing that for 4 years). Because of the Virus I don't think I'm doing either this year. I hope we can travel in the fall and then I can go see my parents in Reno, Nevada for a week and maybe watch Football. I do miss driving my car farther than just a few miles. No demand for Gas, that's why Oil is at such a low level.

I went to Hawaii in late January/Early February (Super Bowl week) and that feels so long ago now.

7. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Guess for most people it will be a trip to Aroundthehousen and visiting the exiting Costa del backyardos...:biggrin:

8. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

That's my usual vacation anyway! :lol:

9. Kilana2

I hate my Aroundthehousen. It's so boring. That's why I miss travelling.

10. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

My plans to NYC have been put on an indefinite hold. Also, I’m I will not be attending DragonCon this year, even though they made an announcement that they’re still going on. Which I personally think is very irresponsible of them.

11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not eating out all the time is allowing me to save up for a trip to Europe. But who knows when it will actually be possible? :shrug:

Kor

12. Kilana2

13. Mr. Laser Beam

There will be another day... :beer:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Gary Mitchell, Kilana2 and Avro Arrow like this.
  14. Kilana2

We all hope for our travelling plans being better next year. Maybe I can travel to Northern Germany in September.....

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  15. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess all we can do is to hang on and make the best of it all, guess it does give some extra time to plan and when possible to safe up money.

16. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's finally setting in that any significant travel or vacation plans for 2020 are likely off. April is nearly over and thus far I have used 1 day (out of an anticipated 22 days) of vacation/personal time. I am using a sick day on Monday for a much-needed 'mental health' day, fully supported by my boss. We had originally penciled in France as a destination for summer 2020, and we definitely like to get in at least a few beach days during the warmer weather. None of these seem safe or feasible at the moment. I'm essentially ruling out any travel that requires an airplane or a train, or a location that would be public and crowded. Even the notion of renting a car to travel to see family and friends feels unsafe. Maybe we'll rent a house upstate somewhere with a pool and a hot tub - honestly just having a change in scenery, a little more square footage, and open air might be enough for now. We'll see what the world looks like in six months and then maybe we'd consider something more adventurous if it's safe.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

So far I've had three vacations (Montréal, Toronto and NYC) go bust. And those are my three favorite cities! :(

I only have two left: Chicago in August, and a train trip across Canada in September. I hope I can still do those. Especially the train trip because my dad and I are doing that together and he needs the break even more than I do.

18. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

The Canadian Rockies?

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Yep!

20. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I always wanted a train trip like that... to make up for all the train trips I made between DC and New England