You sank my...BATTLESHIP! Teaser Trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ladies & Gentlemen!

The teaser trailer you've all been waiting for!

I present to you:

BATTLESHIP!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810116793/info :guffaw:

Now if they would only make Chutes & Ladders, Candyland, and Connect 4 movies, my life will be complete.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

It looks like a Bay-quel. A movie that could fit in with any of Michael Bay's work. Seamlessly.

I'll probably pass.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

It looks like they're fighting the "Nemesis" the decepticon's ship in the cartoon.

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

What's next? "Yo-Yo:The Return?" :rolleyes:

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd have liked to be on the fly of that wall when the solution to 'how to make a Battleship movie' was answered by adding an alien hovercraft.

It's a game about two fleets shooting at each other. One would have expected something a little closer to that non-story.

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Jokes aside, the "premise" of Battleship is just naval warfare; for an action movie, that's a perfectly fine premise. In fact, if they weren't claiming inspiration from the boardgame (for brand ID, I guess), I don't think anyone would think it odd.

Though I'm not sure why a modern carrier taskforce has an actual battleship with it. The last of those went out of service in 1992.
    My guess is a combination of wanting to avoid using a period setting (there aren't really any rivals to the US Navy these days), not wanting to limit international marketing by casting some other major market as the bad guys, and perhaps just wanting more sci-fi action to appeal to Transformers fans.

7. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I here Michael Bay is doing "Tic Tack Toe: The Revenge of O"

Seriously this movie not only shows how creatively bankrupt Hollywood is but how intellectually bankrupt our education system is. There are TONS of great navel battles you can make a movie about. How about Jutland or Leyte Gulf or the battle of Philippine Sea (which would be epic).

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then make one up.

I mean, the film as is as gone to the level of using something wholly ficituous, alien invaders. Why not the American navy versus the navy of Yakintoba?

Or an admiral goes rogue, and another fleet has to bring his fleet down, etc.

9. CaptainCanada

Like I said, one factor (though oddly some people might prefer using aliens in an outright sci-fi setting to just making up some random rival power in what is supposed to be the real world; plausibility can work in strange ways).

Most action blockbusters these days have a sci-fi element to them, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the main consideration.

10. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that actually looks pretty good. when is it sopposed to come out?

11. Yminale

You don't need to make up a country Kegg. You can use everybody's favorite whipping boy, North Korea

That wouldn't make much sense since a fleet is made up of thousands of personnel and many would seriously disagree with the admiral going ape!@#$%.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, folks - I'm sorry, but I liked that trailer. I'd pay money to see this before I'd accept a bribe to sit through Bayformers: Anything.

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

So the Corps gets Battle: Los Angeles...

The Navy gets Battleship...

The Air Force already got Stealth...

And I guess the Transformers movies feature the Army.

So, really, it's just a matter of completing the collection.

14. CaptainCanada

I'm a big fan of naval stuff, so I could see it being enjoyable, so long as it isn't too stupid.

15. Yminale

I think you are being to optimistic

16. Yminale

You forget to mention that the Coast Guard get's reality TV (Deadliest Catch, Swords, I think they are in Whale Wars).

Poor Coast Guards.

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah... I ship out for Naval service in November, and this'll come out around my birthday, so with luck it'll be quality mindless fun like Battle: LA was, but even knowing as little about the Navy as I do, the line "you went from enlisted to officer faster than anyone in history" makes my ass hurt, because I'm pretty sure that, between modern regulations and the history of promotions in, uh, wartime, that's totally impossible.

18. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Going to a film where I already know the plot and how its going to end before I even walk into the theater? Pass.

19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^So I take it you didn't go see Titanic, then? :D

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If that were my criterion, I wouldn't have seen a single film in at least the last ten years.

Unless its The Perfect Storm, you can write the ending based on the plot synopsis. So nu?