"Yorktown: A Time to Heal" - Official thread for the Sulu fan film!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Captain Atkin, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I didn't say thatYorktown should look like a 1970 show or use models; I said we chose to do Exeter to look like that. I was saying that we all make creative choices and that in a situation like Yorktown I personally would have gone whole hog with a look that hewed to the vintage of the source material. :)

2. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

I watched the movie just today. I liked it a lot. Good work all around!
    II know I´m a bit late to the party, but I would like to see more views of this elusive ship:
    https://freeimage.host/i/fed1.HcLzvYx
    Is it possible?
    Thanks!

Tosk, somebuddyX and Captain Atkin like this.
  3. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I thought this was great! I really liked the editing, just getting straight into scenes without a lot of lingering like a lot of fan films do. I liked the tone and story and it made the universe feel a bit more gritty and rough which is how I always imagined the TOS film era. I really liked the music around the 9 minute mark. The kids acting was fun and kinda cheesy but that's what made it cool, and I loved seeing them doing TOS fight moves in the forest. And seeing both George Takei and James Shigeta was a blast. Overall it was like seeing a lost 80s scifi film and just really nice.

Captain Atkin and Tosk like this.
  4. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

I was happy with the way the VFX turned out for 'Yorktown'. Yes, they are CGI models, but the 8mm film grain and blurring of the footage helped blend it in well with the live action footage. The TMP Director's Cut also used a CGI Enterprise in a few scenes, and I felt the film grain used there helped blend it in with the rest of the film.

All that said, Yorktown is on the web now (which is the important thing), and there is always the possibility that a second version with "old school" model VFX could appear online one day. Henry Gibbens has talked about going back in with physical models filmed in front of a green screen, so it's always possible that the film could be revisited in a few years.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  5. ernie90125

ernie90125 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

With bookending scenes from George Takei for the second version ?

6. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

No, we wouldn't want to do that. That was already done in the New Voyages fan-film many years ago.

Tosk and KennyB like this.