Yeoman Rand's Tower of Hair

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Nov 28, 2021.

1. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

You didn't miss much.

Danja likes this.
  2. Mres_was_framed!

Mres_was_framed! Captain Captain

What episode is the image from?

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'v always said they made a mistake by making her Kirk's assistant, because she's too junior to be a confidant and the attraction couldn't lead anywhere because of fraternization and the power imbalance.

4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

if holograms are easily available I'd just get my head shaved and wear holohair every day. I could change it however I wanted.

5. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Technically, the last episode with Rand was "The Conscience of the King." It's brief with no dialogue, but she plays a scene. But you're going by air dates, so yeah.

Neopeius likes this.
  6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Something nobody would have given a rat's ass about in the 1960s. Bosses fraternizing with secretaries was a common trope.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

She borrowed it from Jane Jetson.

Rand did have lines originally. The script was quickly reconfigured to make them unnecessary. The walk-on fulfilled her contract.

Grace Lee Whitney's contract was for 13 episodes, whether she was used or not. It made the episode expensive if she wasn't used. Grace mentioned at conventions that her least favourite episodes were #14, "The Galileo Seven", since she saw her yeoman lines swiftly given to Mears after Grace was fired, and "Dagger of the Mind", in which her character had been reconceived very early on as a different participant, Dr Helen Noel.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  8. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

"Body and Soul"

The Doctor inhabited Seven's body (Jeri Ryan nailed The Doctor's mannerisms :lol: ).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    JonnyQuest037 and ZapBrannigan like this.
  9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

And yet they didn’t because it would make Kirk look bad. They even made a point of singling out the “Balance of Terror”’embrace as a “don’t do this” in the Star Trek Guide.

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

My mother-in-law said it did go on in the 60s and the other ladies at her work looked down on the secretaries that did it. Those "sort of girls". Yes those girls got the cushy jobs but it still wasn't socially acceptable at least in my mother-in-laws eyes.

11. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

When I hired on at my first job, old timers would tell me their personal experiences when purchasing big ticket items from companies during the 1960's. Some of those companies had pretty secretaries that also "entertained" the sale representatives. I guess they got bonuses for good performance.

12. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've heard that college football teams do much the same thing, procuring young women who are willing to entertain, in order to ensure retention of star athletes who can't be paid with money. [The other thing teams do is arrange phony, no-show jobs on campus, which creates a loophole to give cash to the players.]

Commander Troi and Neopeius like this.
  13. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Troi's hair in the First Season of TNG is similar. Here you can say that Betazoid might just naturally have more and longer hair than humans (I always interpreted Lwaxana revealing her wig to Odo on DS9 as her experiencing the Betazoid-equivalent of balding in her advanced age)
    But considering how intricate the hairstyle is (all those braids and jewels and stuff) it's as difficult to imagine her re-doing that hairstyle every day as it is to imagine Rand to do that basket-weave each day.

Could it be possible that both of them slept sitting up and that sonic showers don't mess up your hair? That would mean they only had to redo their hair on occasion.

Commander Troi, Danja and Neopeius like this.
  14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'm not saying that there were no standards regarding such things in those days or that such behavior was universally approved. But citing "power imbalance" as a reason why a relationship on a 1960s TV series wouldn't have worked is very anachronistic. Whatever their opinion of the Kirk/Rand dynamic, nobody would have been dropping that phrase at the time, or even a few decades later.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  15. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

"Don't shit where you eat" on the other hand...

16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

To me part of the problem with Kirk/Rand was that half the episodes Kirk complained he was married to the ship and so couldn't have any girlfriends and the other half (well probably 1/10 th) kissing lawyers on the bridge, chatting up blind girls, propositioning robot girls.
    I actually don't think there would be any problem wth a Kirk/Rand relationship as Kirk and Rand were about the same age - maybe appoint Spock as her boss rather than Kirk.I don't know the officer/enlisted rule but on TNG it was OK.

17. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

A Gene Roddenberry created series where messing around with your direct subordinates is not only not frowned upon, it's considered A-OK.

Color me surprised. :rolleyes:

ChallengerHK and Danja like this.
  18. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

Rick Berman wanted a Janeway/Chakotay 'ship on Voyager, but Kate Mulgrew wouldn't have it (she thought that it would've been inappropriate for a Captain to have a sexual relationship with their first officer).

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Instead we get “delete the wife”.

:lol:

20. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's curious is why she wasn't used more if she was costing them money every episode, although I thought it was that she was contracted for 7 or 8 out of the 13. There were quite a few episodes where Rand could have contributed to the story by adding character to filler dialogue but apart from that, why replace her at the helm with an extra in the very next scene in the Naked Time? Why not have Rand add a more critical eye to Mudd's women? Why not let rand be the one who discovers the phaser in Kirk's quarters in Conscience of the King? I think there was a conscious effort to keep her down, keep her subservient in that she is stalked, kidnapped, sexually harassed, and sexually assaulted in her main appearances right before the actress was allegedly sexually assaulted at the warp party for the previous episode before they decided not to renew her contract - an episode in which her lines were cut. :-/

None of the episodes with Rand in had aired at that point and she proved to be a popular character. It's a shame that there was no effort to bring her back and she was excised from the early draft of the Trouble with Tribbles. One Rand or two episodes per season would have suited me just fine.

Richard S. Ta and Commander Troi like this.