Yeagar Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Tim Walker, Jun 3, 2022.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This could have been the U.S.S. Cerritos and nobody would have batted an eye. Maybe it's a third contact ship:lol:

137th Gebirg likes this.
  2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

You know, I was thinking about the department-color-coded accents on the Cerritos looking at the big blue stripe on the Yeager's spine.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Actually, I think more thought was put into the Yeager than was put into the Cerritos.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

:lol: Probably true…

5. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Somebody once compared the Yeager to a submarine used by the U.S. Navy. The submarine was used to test new equipment.

So perhaps the Yeager was a one-off test bed, and quite modular. And, at a distance, looked like an Intrepid saucer super glued to an over grown Maquis Raider.

A few weapons were attached to the test bed, and the ship was used to guard DS9.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

When I first saw FASA making different size Klingon BoPs…before the scales went all over the place in TNG—-I winced…

-but then I remembered the Glomars
    https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb47451073

On a periscope…you might think them the same.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

FASA didn't have different sizes for the BoP. It was the TNG production personnel that came up with that idea, because at the time they didn't have any other Klingon ship models to use. They didn't even use the BoP or K'T'inga models for the first few seasons; they just used stock footage of them from the TOS films. And when they did finally use new filmed footage of the BoP model, it was ridiculously out of scale to the Romulan warbirds that they were meant to be on equal footing with size-wise, all because they didn't have the foresight to build a new model until much later. The problem was that they had just built three brand new models (the 4-foot Ent-D, the 2nd Romulan Warbird, and the Romulan scout ship), and probably didn’t have the budget for a fourth new model, although it would have made more sense and could have been used for the K’Vort class in ‘Yesterday’s Enterprise.’

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  8. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Actually, there are several different scales for the BOP design in the FASAverse. The original scout version developed by the Romulans is 88m long, the D-32 cruiser version is 110m, and the L-42 frigate version is 164m. Each class has different internal systems and weaponry, and this concept predates TNG by a few years and is independent of the model scaling problems in that show. The 2nd edition of the Klingon Ship Recognition Manual, which includes all three variants, came out in 1985. Whether FASA might have intended the variants to reflect scale issues onscreen, I'm not entirely sure. But there would have been fewer examples to go by.

The Klingons were given some of the scout BOP hulls as part of the technology exchange with the Romulans, but were expressly told that they weren't supposed to modify the basic design. They did so anyway because they liked the scout model and decided to scale it up to other variants, and the Romulans retaliated by copying the frigate version for their own fleet.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Thank you; I stand corrected.

10. Unicron

No worries. Maybe in this case FASA was looking ahead. :rommie:

publiusr likes this.
  11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

It's too bad they didn't have the idea to use the Night of the Creeps ship/Promellian battlecruiser for a Klingon stand-in ship for "The Defector" and "Yesterday's Enterprise." It would have been large enough to be believable as a Klingon battleship against the Romulan warbirds and the alt-Enterprise-D. Someone obviously had that idea later when they used it for a Klingon ship in DS9. The way it was filmed in 'Boobytrap," you really only saw the rear end of the ship. It could have been filmed to look totally different (and had the green color added in post.)

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It did serve as a Klingon vessel in DS9 once in “Sons of Mogh” as a reuse of “Sanctuary”
    footage.

I might have taken a saw to it.

This would have been an even closer fit:
    https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/karemma.htm

Now one missed opportunity—I would love Neil Rhodes to draw larger types of Klingon BoPs…

13. Unicron

I would have liked to see some Vor'Chas facing off against the D in YE personally, had that model been in existence at the time. :D

publiusr and 137th Gebirg like this.
  14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

15. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I often read the comments that people post online. One comment I have seen, is that the Yeager is a Federation Bird of Prey.

The Yeager reminds me of another ship class. The Kumari class battlecruiser. My theory is that the Yeager is an Andorian design, part of the Kumari lineage. Perhaps the Andorians were trying to create their own version of a BoP.

16. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are we talking about the same "Yeager Class"?

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Yeager_type

Cause the one I'm looking at doesn't fit your narative.