XXXth Olympiad - London

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by MacLeod, Apr 18, 2012.

1. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm thinking about getting up early on Saturday morning, so I can watch the opening ceremony live.

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

S'alright, I'm sure North Korean News has already put their spin on things - NK won 10-0, but all footage was destroyed by a freak biblical event brought about by the ghost of Kim Jung Il.

3. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So missing Shawn Johnson :( ...glad to see Gabrielle Douglas. :mallory:

4. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

They did win 2-0.

5. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was bit of an lame mistake, considering how much time they have been preparing for the Olympics. But these things happen..and lets hope rest of the Olympics will go forward "bug free":)
    I just wonder what the reaction would have been,
    If they would have accidentally replaced, for example, the American flag with North Korean one..

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, I was expecting something along the lines of This ain't The Olympic Games XXX.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^What are you kidding? We're running this one mate, so expect an endless procession of incompetent (and mildly humorous) cock-ups. It's what we excel at!...well that and cycling apparantly. :p

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

We're also excellent at spending a shipload of cash that we will be paying off for years on a pointless 'event' that the general public only give a stuff about for two weeks every four years - if that.

Oh, and being berated by our politicians, athletics supremo's and other self interested groups for not toeing the line and 'getting behind it'.

Meanwhile the IOC and its sponsors ride roughshod over UK law and freedoms, whilst an overpaid bunch of 'elite' athletes are supposed to be role models to the suckers paying for it all.

Yes, I've got the 'Olympic' spirit...:devil:

9. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Arguably less serious than the N Korea incident, one of Team GB's male Welsh footballers has been labelled "English":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18997930

10. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be more worked up about a flag error if it was during a medal ceremony. Not some prelim soccer match nobody cares about before the Games even begin.

11. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I miss Nastia Liukin.

12. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

As every two years for the Olympics here my tip for Europeans: legal HQ livestreams for all events here.

Schedule here

Geo-ristricted to all countries whose public tv is a member of the EBU as far as I know. Sorry, Americans. But maybe you can access it with some sort of proxy server.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

NBC has it's own online streaming site for all the olympics, but you have to be a subscriber to a package to access it (Which I am). I also think any events that are part of the primetime coverage (Like the Gymnastics) won't be archived until the next day or something like that. Given we're still getting tape delays (especially on the west coast where everything is taped delayed on the network, no matter what), this is a somewhat fair compromise.

NBC's Site

Not sure how much of the olympics I'm going to watch. Kind of interested in watching the Handball, and as far as all the other big stuff, I'm going to get spoiled anyway, so might as well just go with the flow.

14. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Rowan Atkinson's Mr. Bean-esque skit for the Opening Ceremonies was great, only to be followed up by an extremely confusing house skit.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Not very impressive so far.

16. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We're enjoying it, but you do get the impression that a lot of this is going to go over the heads of anyone outside the British Isles! :lol: And probably some in them as well!

17. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

The Queen and James Bond jumped out of a fucking helicopter! Tons of great music on the soundtrack. Children's literature, the NHS, Brunel, suffragettes. This is fantastic. And I say that as someone who hates sporting events.

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yay! Bosnia has marched in.. i am happy! :D

Rowan Atkinson / Mr. Bean was hilarious, the rest a "little" bit Brit-centric (i don't watch many olympian opening ceremonies.. are they all like that?) but nevertheless well done.

Sidenote:
    Damn there's some hot women amongst them.. no wonder the IOC has distributed around 150.000 condoms :lol:

19. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

That was fantastic.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I think it was great, and it was a nice touch of the USA team to get in on the act by all dressing as Frank Spencer...