X-MEN: FIRST CLASS (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, May 28, 2010.

1. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be awesome if it was set in the 80s. Storm rockin the mowhawk. Can't wait to hear more of the casting news.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Agreed - unlike Wolverine's rather indeterminate and unconvincing 1970s.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Mohawk Storm would actually be pretty cool.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

LCD screens, humvee's the list goes on lol

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ That's Italian, yo.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

7. Admiral_Young

^ My bad thanks for the correction!

8. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I think casting James McAvoy is a stroke of genius. He's young, capable, and films like Atonement prove he has the required acting chops and films like Wanted prove he can handle action. I wonder if Mark Millar had anything to do with this, since Wanted was based on Millar's comic-book series of the same name, and Matthew Vaughn directed Kick-Ass, also by Millar. Probably not, but fun to speculate.

Based on Singer's comments, Xavier and Erik's relationship will be at the core of this film, so I think the casting of those two are essential, which just makes me even more excited to see who they cast as Erik. McAvoy brings a certain gravitas that I think he'll be able to emulate in the way Stewart brought to Xavier, but I think we'll see an interesting sense of physicality to Xavier that we haven't seen before.

Honestly, this project just excites me more and more, with the collaborative team of Singer & Vaughn, and now the casting of McAvoy, which leads me to believe that this has the chance of being the best X-Men film since X2. At the very least, I haven't been this excited for an X-Men movie since X2.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, now that I've read Singer's comments about how Charles and Erik's friendship and division will play a large role in the film, I'm getting more excited, too. I like McAvoy (still hoping he'll play Bilbo in The Hobbit), and I think he'll be a great Xavier. Hopefully they make a good choice for young Magneto, as well.

10. Admiral_Young

As I stated in the early part of the thread the core element of the film is the exploration of Charles and Erik's relationship and it's deterioration as their philosophies on mutant/human relations start to differ. I think it's also one of the reasons why the "Magneto" film seems to have been dropped. Speculation only but I think the core friendship is what drew Bryan back to the franchise in the first place and he saw an opportunity to tell the origin of the X-Men but still have a strong, emotional core storyline. I'm excited to see this as well. The "Kick-Ass" team of Vaughn and Jane Goldman along with Singer's guidance I hope will restore the X-Men film franchise to it's former glory.

11. Obiwanshinobi

Hopefully you guys are gonna be right about this being a solid X-Men film since X2, but on paper Wolverine seemed like a good idea, but the final product was just terrible. So lets hope they don't drop the ball. We'll see how the Erik casting goes in addition to the rest of the characters, whomever they may be. Really curious on the X-Men roster and what early incarnation of the brotherhood are we gonna see as well. Let's just hope they don't get carried away and introduce too many mutants, since this is an origin story.

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It didn't.

13. Obiwanshinobi

yea, who am i kidding.

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

15. Admiral_Young

Actually David Benioff's first draft script of "Wolverine" was really good and I was quite excited about the film. It wasn't until Fox started interfering with the project and making suggestions for the other character cameos that the film was bogged down and became messy. I still hope that "Wolverine 2" happens...the last report on it was that Christopher McQuarrie had finished the script in March and Hugh Jackman said the film would start filming in Jan 2011. Not sure the current status of the film after "X-Men: First Class" has been fast tracked by Fox now. I read that the story would focus on Logan and his relationship with Mariko.

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

This is a off topic but I though there was a desire to get Cable on the big screen???

17. Admiral_Young

^ Not sure how they would explain "Cable" since he's Scott and Jean's future alternate universe son lol...

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I know but as of 2009 and even before that...I thought Cable would be getting a movie or atleast be in an X-Men movie with a major role. :shrug:

19. Admiral_Young

Not that I know of...unless you're thinking about "Cage" the Luke Cage movie that has been in development hell for a while now. Nothing about Cable...I will admit though if they came up with a suitable logical plot that made sense (I guess you'd have to use Apocalypse as his nemesis and for that you'd have to set him up in an X-Men movie).

@Jetfire my bad...it does appear that last year Marvel hired a group of writers to write a "Cable" film along with their second tier characters. I guess that I never saw the story until I saw it in his wiki article lol.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_(comics)

But I have always thought a Cable movie would have been in the works.