X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

But aside from the ones I mentioned, which I think it's fair to say DOFP is unlikely to address given what we know about it so far, those things weren't continuity errors until First Class made them continuity errors. They didn't arise with The Last Stand to be carried over with Origins. There was nothing to carry over.

I've noticed the TV cable networks never show that scene when they show the film, even though they always seem to show the after-credits scene in Iron Man. :shrug:

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Remember when First Class came out the question everyone had was if it was going to reboot the whole series. That is still a possibility. We could see the older actors play the X-men in the dark future and/or also in changed future which looks more hopeful at the end. But in fixing the past the whole history of the could be rewritten.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Showcase here plays the end credit sequence. It's obvious that Ratner, Kinberg and Penn took the double Xavier from Morrison's Cassandra Nova story line. I'd be immensely intrigued if Singer decided to do this :) But I doubt it.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Dude. That could actually be it! If not a complete ignoring of The Last Stand, at most a mere passing mentioning, and then a total retconning/undoing. I like it. :bolian:

5. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

I'm hoping and praying whatever change happens to the timeline, the film ends with Scott Summers still alive. :mallory:

6. Admiral_Young

Well like I said on the last page that picture of the cast photo headshots...had four empty slots :)

7. Set Harth

I think it's too late for that. :beer:

As I recall, the appearances of Jackman and Romijn were taken as evidence to the contrary, and a lot of people argued that the continuity problems could be explained or rationalized in various ways. But as we've seen in Star Trek, a "reboot" through time travel isn't the same thing as a Batman Begins-style reboot in which you completely start from scratch with an entirely different cast and the preceding films are assumed to have never happened at all.

8. Gaith

Not at all. Consider the Back to the Future series: once Marty takes his first trip into the past, we never again see the original timeline, only the dark timeline, the improved timeline, and the really improved (or so we hope) timeline. In Parts II and III, moreover, we never see the original timeline at all.

So, if X:TLS was the original timeline, DOFP could start with the arrival of a traveler from the dark future, and, thanks to his/her meddling, the cast could repair things more than they intend, setting up an improved non-original timeline in which X3 is all but forgotten... forever. :devil:

9. Set Harth

I try not to. Especially due to the fact that it hypnotized an entire generation into thinking that time travel must work in incredibly stupid ways. Including time travel in... other franchises.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I agree with that. TLS and XO: Wolverine weren't plagued with continuity errors, they were plagued with stupidity errors.

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Still waiting for a Fantastic Four movie where they find the real Jean Grey in a stasis tube at the bottom of Alkali Lake

12. Admiral_Young

That could still happen if they're attempting to build an Fox Marvel Cinematic Universe, which seems to be the case. They still have to establish the Fantastic Four though, of which the reboot will hopefully succeed in doing this time around. Then the sky...or lake's the limit. I still think that very thing is going to happen. Perhaps not right away in Days of Future Past or even in "Fantastic Four" but a near future film.

13. Gaith

Well, I'll admit it: one doesn't hear that every day. ;)

I suppose the true test will always have been: sometime in a generation or so, when these movies have run their course, could a first-time viewer watch, in release order, X-Men, X2, First Class, *maybe* The Wolverine and then Days of Future Past without feeling as though there was something significant missing?

... If so, I'll be happy. :cool:

14. Admiral_Young

There's nothing else missing from that list Gaith :)

15. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

LOL You are hilarious. Until someone proves otherwise time travel is a fantasy! There is no rules to how it should work. Its fiction.

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

But this is the internet where someone always thinks they have the right way....and anyone else's way is wrong.

Time Travel works this way, my way damnit!!! :lol:

17. Admiral_Young

Yeah it really is just a fictional plot device...that can be used in a multitude of different ways depending on the writers plot :)

I still find it interesting that Singer went to Cameron of all people to discuss the time travel related issues in Days. I'm wondering if he won't attempt to use the "Terminator" style in the film.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could definitely see that happening.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Any examples?

20. Set Harth

I'll give you a clue. It's got a Spock in it.