X-Men: Apocalypse announced for May 2016

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.thewrap.com/x-men-apocalypse-announced-may-2016/

Wow, FOX must very confident that DOFP will be a hit since they are already announcing a sequel!

2. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

One of my favorite comic storylines so yup, all in.

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

First "Days of Future Past" and now "Age of Apocalypse"? Bryan Singer, I could kiss you right now.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they're counting their chickens before they're hatched. But I really like the X-Men movies, so I do hope this happens.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

At this point, the only thing preventing DoFP from wiping the floor with every other comic book movie ever made is some kind of world-wide cataclysm.

I was never much of a fan of the X-Men. I don't know anything about sentinels or Trask, and even I am psyched as hell for it.

6. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I firmly believe Bryan Singer was born to make X-Men movies. My only question is will DOFP top X2 (still one of the greatest comic book movies ever, IMO)?

If he's also going to Direct AOA, I may die of a fanboy aneurism.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Do we know it's going to be that specific storyline? Apocalypse was around for quite a while before that story, after all. Although I guess it's the most prominent story involving him, so it's a reasonable conjecture. But it's not actually confirmed as far as I can tell.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I wonder if this is the "X-Force" project re-named "X-Men" for brand recognition purposes?

9. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a good point. And would they really do an alternate universe story on the heels of an alternate/possible future storyline? Unless they tied them together somehow.

10. Christopher

Hmm, what other major storylines are there about Apocalypse?

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

X-Cutioner's Song, although that's heavily tied up with Cable/Stryfe so they'd have to retool it to make it work.

I always found Apocalypse to be more interesting in concept than practice, though. He never comes across as being very smart, despite all his bleating about "survival of the fittest."

12. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Also, the Twelve, although that didn't seem to go in the directions it was originally hinted to go in. Isn't comic writing fun? :biggrin: ;)

13. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It could be an original story using him made for the movies.
    I mean, the next movie is Days of Future Past, but mostly in concept, not execution. They tend not to follow the books TOO closely (Which I actually like)

14. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I wonder whether they plan to use the original cast or the cast from First Class.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd imagine they're scheduling the shoot in such a way that if DOFP flat-out bombs, they'll be able to cancel production and only really eat the pre-production costs - and said pre-production is an investment any studio'd be crazy not to make under the circumstances. So, as long as they're prepping, why not put on a confident face and spark fans' interest?

You even have to ask?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:p

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Age of Apocalypse is a terrible story to start with, and there's no guarantee that they will, it just comes to the question of whether they want to do back to back time travel stories.

Apocalypse's origin involves Kang, the Fantastic Four, Doctor Strange, the West Coast Avengers and the celestials... Which is just a massive amount of copywrites fornicating with each other.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

They'd only have to eat development costs if they cancelled it since a May 2016 release would only need to start pre-production in the second half of 2014 for a 2015 production start.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather they didn't go into AoA immediately tbh... too much timey-wimeyness right after DoFP. X-Men Evolution did a pretty good and straightforward Apocalypse story I feel like.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They've said nothing about it being Age of Apocalypse, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

And even if it is, it may be that the events of DoFP cause the AoA. It could be like BTTF2 and 3, where all the time travel mostly happens in 2, and 3 is primarily about setting everything right again.

20. Christopher

For what it's worth, the first-season arc of the Wolverine and the X-Men animated series was based on "Days of Future Past," and the cliffhanger set up a version of the Age of Apocalypse storyline for the second season that was never made. The setup was that they prevented one dystopian future but another took its place. (Which was pretty much the wrapup of every time-travel episode of the '90s animated series too.)